Minimizing Leaks by understanding your tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
I haven't yet found any tank to be completely leak free. I have a Davide BDC, Evod tanks, CE4 tanks, iclear16, iclear30s. I find the trick is simple, but no one seems to have mentioned this.

When storing your tanks keep them in a way that the liquid is away from the coil. For example, the iclear16 is a dual top coil tank. Simply keep it upright, as soon as you put it upside down or on it's side, the wick will eventually flood the coil and leak through the tip. For the evod tanks which are dual coil, I store them upside down (standing on the mouth tip). In the case of the Evod tanks being upside down, the coil is on top and the liquid is away from it, preventing flooding. It's a bit of a balancing act without proper stands etc, but a pen holder helps. Also when I put them in my carrying case, I put the tanks accordingly and keep the case upright.

Following this simple rule, I almost have no leaks or flooding anymore.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I manufactured this protank holder a while back. I used dollar store sponges, drilled a hole I wanted into a piece of 1/4 plywood. I then squished the sponge with the plywood and drilled through the already made hole and sponge and result was a nice clean hole through the sponge. Its sitting in a old plastic playing card box. Ya putting bottom coil attys upside down works good.
The pink sponge I just carved out some of the middle and use it to hold spent heads and dirty attys without having a juice mess.

VapeSponge.jpg

bkVolcom

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Kalamazoo, MI
this helped me a lot when i first got my clearos. thanks to the OP. it saved a lot of "this things cheap garbage" and thinking something was wrong with my stuff.

it finally hit me like duh, yeah the only thing holding your juice from running all over is the back-pressure/vaccum seal at the wick.

i noticed also the vaccum will break when they are subjected to changes in temp like when i shoveled the driveway with the lanyard hanging out, or sitting in the warm dash compartment when the heats on in the car, etc. etc. im sure other pressure sitiuations will result in the same like flying on a plane or driving in the mountains.

now i rarely get a leak in any of my bcc kangers

also, something i haven't seen anyone mention here yet is keep the tanks full and it helps maintain the back pressure, once to much air is in the top it takes even less tipping for the air to get to the wick which breaks the seal. and that bigger volume of air has more force to push the juice out when the temp/ambient pressure changes.

i noticed also the vaccum will break when they are subjected to changes in temp like when i shoveled the driveway with the lanyard hanging out, or sitting in the warm dash compartment when the heats on in the car, etc. etc. im sure other pressure sitiuations will result in the same like flying on a plane or driving in the mountains.

This has been the biggest factor for me. I left my aerotank in the shade in my car one day and when I came back a few hours later it oozed out of every orifice. Changes in heat mess with the pressure inside the tank. The only tanks I haven't experienced this with have been the iClear 30s. With that one I only fill to about the 2ml line and I never get any sort of leak or gurgle.

Axismundixl

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
The Netherlands
This has been the biggest factor for me. I left my aerotank in the shade in my car one day and when I came back a few hours later it oozed out of every orifice. Changes in heat mess with the pressure inside the tank. The only tanks I haven't experienced this with have been the iClear 30s. With that one I only fill to about the 2ml line and I never get any sort of leak or gurgle.

Correct! Air expands more than liquid when temperature rises ;)

Axismundixl

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
The Netherlands
this helped me a lot when i first got my clearos. thanks to the OP. it saved a lot of "this things cheap garbage" and thinking something was wrong with my stuff.

it finally hit me like duh, yeah the only thing holding your juice from running all over is the back-pressure/vaccum seal at the wick.

now i rarely get a leak in any of my bcc kangers

also, something i haven't seen anyone mention here yet is keep the tanks full and it helps maintain the back pressure, once to much air is in the top it takes even less tipping for the air to get to the wick which breaks the seal. and that bigger volume of air has more force to push the juice out when the temp/ambient pressure changes.

Exactly! My experience tells me to keep the juice level above halfway. Another tip is to let your pt sit up side down after use so the air can escape without pushing any precious liquid through the wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread