Mixing different strengths of pre-made liquid with nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxdenVixen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Parker, CO USA
I have searched here and could not find anything that can definitively answer my question. I asked on another thread about mixing 2 different flavors of pre-made liquids with 18 mg of nicotine each. I was worried that I would end up with 36 mg of nicotine as a result. I was informed that this is not the case. However, I have seen other posts that state to bring down the strength of the nicotine add 0 mg pre-made liquid in the same flavor to the stronger pre-made liquid. I am not a math wiz but that seems the opposite of what was said about mixing equal strength and NOT getting a higher concentration. Say I take a 10 ml bottle with 12 mg of nicotine. I pour out 1/2 of it and add the same flavor with 0 mg of nicotine. Would that really bring it down to 6 mg? I hope I am making sense!

Reactions: Okan

mikewill45

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
Yes, you are making sense. If you mix to 18 mg liquids together you will still have 18 mg for your final product. Think of it this way, if you open 2 cans of Coke and then pour them both together you don't end up with double strength Coke just twice as much.

As for any 2 liquids you want to mix together if you are using equal amounts of each liquid just add the strength of each and then divide by 2 and you will have the new strength. Such as...

10 ml of 18 mg plus 10 ml of 6 mg. Add the 2 strengths: 18 + 6 = 24. Then divide by 2: 24/2 = 12. Your new strength is 12.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Okan

FoxdenVixen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Parker, CO USA
Ok thank you! So my strength is 18....too much. Don't like the throat hit and the peppery taste. So I will buy another bottle of 0 mg and mix the 2 and be happy with 9! Or I could buy a 6 mg bottle and mix to get 12. I was a 1 1/2 pack a day smoker of Misty menthol 120s. Different sites have different calculations as to how much nicotine to get depending on smoking habits. I do know tht 6 mg and 0 mg was WAY too little. 18 is too strong. My comfort zone might be 9 or 12.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Your math is flawed. If you have 10ml of juice A that contains 18mg of Nic and you have another 10ml of juice B that also has 18mg of Nic and you mix them together you end of with 20ml of juice and 18mg of Nic in that 20ml.

Nicotine is measured by volume of the e-liquid. I think it is Per 1000ml of e-liquid. So 18mg of Nic would be 1.8 percent of the total amount of e-liquid. 1000 * .018 (1.8%) = 18.

You are adding equal amounts of both the e-liquid and Nicotine not just Nicotine.

Now if you have 10ml of juice at 18mg Nic and added another 10ml of juice that only had 6mg of nic then you would have 20ml of juice at approximately 12mg of nic.

I mix flavors all the time. I am cutting down on nicotine. I normally vape 12mg juice but since I am trying to cut the nicotine when I order new juice I order it at 6mg and mix it with the 12mg to effectively give me somewhere around 9mg. Once all my 12mg juice is gone I will vape 6mg for a while and then when I reorder I'll get 0mg nic and mix.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I have searched here and could not find anything that can definitively answer my question. I asked on another thread about mixing 2 different flavors of pre-made liquids with 18 mg of nicotine each. I was worried that I would end up with 36 mg of nicotine as a result. I was informed that this is not the case. However, I have seen other posts that state to bring down the strength of the nicotine add 0 mg pre-made liquid in the same flavor to the stronger pre-made liquid. I am not a math wiz but that seems the opposite of what was said about mixing equal strength and NOT getting a higher concentration. Say I take a 10 ml bottle with 12 mg of nicotine. I pour out 1/2 of it and add the same flavor with 0 mg of nicotine. Would that really bring it down to 6 mg? I hope I am making sense!

If you are mixing together juice with like nic amounts, the overall nic with stay the same.

For equal amounts of 2 different nic levels, say 12mg and 6mg, it is 12+6/2=9mg.

For unequal amounts of 2 different nic levels, there is an online juice calculator for permade juice, but I do not have a link handy. ETA: Patkin gave the link a few posts above.

Last edited:

FoxdenVixen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Parker, CO USA
Thanks Shootist. I was looking at what the nicotine levels would be. I realize that I would double the amount of liquid I would have. So since the 18 mg is too strong for me and I don't want to just throw it away, I can get another bottle of 0 mg, mix together into another larger bottle, or pour half and half into a clearomizer and get a weaker nicotine strength. That works for me. I still get the flavor of the liquid that I ordered but a less intense amount of nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread