Mixing E-Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud_Chaser64

Mar 6, 2021
New York
Hi, I live in New York so we are under a vape juice ban in our state. The only way to get vape juice is have it sent to a friend in another state and have them forward it on to me.
So I bought a gallon of 50/50 with 3% nicotine add to it. I can’t figure out how much flavoring I would need to add to a 120ml bottle.
Then I’m wondering if I will need to steep the juice after adding the menthol flavoring.
If it needs to steep how long should I let it sit? Would it be better to steep it in dark glass bottles or use the plastic Gorilla bottle?
If I missed anything I will take all the help you and I truly appreciate all and any help you can give me.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Hi, I live in New York so we are under a vape juice ban in our state. The only way to get vape juice is have it sent to a friend in another state and have them forward it on to me.
    So I bought a gallon of 50/50 with 3% nicotine add to it. I can’t figure out how much flavoring I would need to add to a 120ml bottle.
    Then I’m wondering if I will need to steep the juice after adding the menthol flavoring.
    If it needs to steep how long should I let it sit? Would it be better to steep it in dark glass bottles or use the plastic Gorilla bottle?
    If I missed anything I will take all the help you and I truly appreciate all and any help you can give me.

Hi @Cloud_Chaser64 and welcome to ecf.

Next time, sooner than later, buy the 100mg nic. Which menthol flavoring are you using?
    If you can use glass, do it. If not, plastic will work.
    Steep as long as you want really. Menthol doesn't take too long. If you do it correctly, it should be good right away. Usually start at 1%. Some you can work your way to 2-3%.

Dark bottles are the best to block light from degrading your nic, I mostly use them the store my 100mg nic in the freezer.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Katya

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Welcome to ECF!

Just for clarification, are you sure you have 3% nic, or is it 3 mg/ml? Percent and mg/ml are often confused. Also, what nicotine level are you aiming for in your finished juice?

Are you planning to add any other flavours to your juice or just the menthol?

If you're just making batches that you steep and use within a few weeks, I wouldn't worry about the dark glass bottle vs Gorilla bottle. Use whichever is most convenient. The dark glass bottles become important when you're storing nic base (often 100 mg/ml a.k.a. 10% nic) for the long term - several years, usually.

And finally, you may find our DIY E-liquid sub-forum helpful. It can be found in the General E-Liquid Discussion forum. Feel free to look around for helpful information and ask any questions that may occur to you.

Reactions: Katya

Cloud_Chaser64

Mar 6, 2021
    New York
    Hi @Cloud_Chaser64 and welcome to ecf.

Next time, sooner than later, buy the 100mg nic. Which menthol flavoring are you using?
    If you can use glass, do it. If not, plastic will work.
    Steep as long as you want really. Menthol doesn't take too long. If you do it correctly, it should be good right away. Usually start at 1%. Some you can work your way to 2-3%.

Dark bottles are the best to block light from degrading your nic, I mostly use them the store my 100mg nic in the freezer.
    I buy a gallon of menthol premixed juice from Heartland Vape so I bought 16oz of the menthol they use in their juice.
    I shipped to my friend and he sends it to me because they already banned e-juice in our state.

I just bought unflavored premix with nicotine but I’m going to buy gallons of premix without nicotine and buy some Nic Salts and mix it myself once I use all my pre made juice. My friend told me the PG/VG will last if there’s no nicotine in it or I’d have to refrigerate it. I’m new at all this so I’m learning as I go.
    That’s why I’m asking people for all your advice so I do this right.

My next issue is adding the flavoring to a 120ml bottle. I’m trying to watch YouTube to mix by weight because a lot of people tell me it’s easier that way.

I’m going to mix a 120ml at a time that has 3% nicotine already added into the premix.So I’m looking for some help on how much flavoring would I use to flavor a 120ml bottle.

Thank You Very Much for your help!

Cloud_Chaser64

Mar 6, 2021
    New York
    Does it mean you have a gallon of 30 mg/ml nicotine? Is this the strength you normally use? Or is it 3 mg/ml? Big difference.
    I but 50/50 that has 3% nicotine added to it already. So I’m trying to see the right amount of flavoring to a 120ml bottle.

After this I’m buying 50/50 and 250ml of Nic Salt before April to mix it myself.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

Cloud_Chaser64

Mar 6, 2021
    New York
    Welcome to ECF!

Just for clarification, are you sure you have 3% nic, or is it 3 mg/ml? Percent and mg/ml are often confused. Also, what nicotine level are you aiming for in your finished juice?

Are you planning to add any other flavours to your juice or just the menthol?

If you're just making batches that you steep and use within a few weeks, I wouldn't worry about the dark glass bottle vs Gorilla bottle. Use whichever is most convenient. The dark glass bottles become important when you're storing nic base (often 100 mg/ml a.k.a. 10% nic) for the long term - several years, usually.

And finally, you may find our DIY E-liquid sub-forum helpful. It can be found in the General E-Liquid Discussion forum. Feel free to look around for helpful information and ask any questions that may occur to you.
    I just checked my order and it’s 1 gallon 50/50 with 3mg of nicotine already added into the juice. All I have to do is add flavoring to it.

I’m going to make 120ml for each batch so I’m not sure how much flavoring to add.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I but 50/50 that has 3% nicotine added to it already. So I’m trying to see the right amount of flavoring to a 120ml bottle.

It depends. All flavorings are different as too how much you need to use and and then you have individual tastes to take into consideration. 3% of one flavor might be good for me buy you may need 7%. Taste is subjective.

I used to buy peppermint eliquid from heartland all the time. Now I mix my own. I discovered that they used TFA peppermint in their ejuice and through trial and error I figured out that they use between 6% and 8% TFA peppermint. So I use 6% because it's just fine for me with very little difference between 6% and 8% so I may as well save on the flavoring lol.

I started low at 1% then worked my way up mixing 10ml at a time.

Trial and error.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I just checked my order and it’s 1 gallon 50/50 with 3mg of nicotine already added into the juice. All I have to do is add flavoring to it.

OK, that's better. Please bear in mind that 3% nicotine is 30 mg/ml.
    I’m going to make 120ml for each batch so I’m not sure how much flavoring to add

It depends on the strength of your flavoring. What does the manufacturer recommend? I suggest you start with a smaller sample, 5 ml, perhaps, and try different percentages until you find your sweet spot. And always start low. It's easier to add more flavoring later.

Cloud_Chaser64

Mar 6, 2021
    New York
    It depends. All flavorings are different as too how much you need to use and and then you have individual tastes to take into consideration. 3% of one flavor might be good for me buy you may need 7%. Taste is subjective.

I used to buy peppermint eliquid from heartland all the time. Now I mix my own. I discovered that they used TFA peppermint in their ejuice and through trial and error I figured out that they use between 6% and 8% TFA peppermint. So I use 6% because it's just fine for me with very little difference between 6% and 8% so I may as well save on the flavoring lol.

I started low at 1% then worked my way up mixing 10ml at a time.

Trial and error.
    So you used Heartland before too? I bought my last gallon from the that was totally mix juice and I bought a 16oz bottle of their menthol so when I flavor a gallon I bought premixed with 3mg of nicotine.
    So I’m unsure how much flavoring to and when I flavor that juice.

I’m going to just buy a 250ml of Nic Salts to freeze so when April comes I will have it when I just buy 50/50 and then add the nicotine and flavoring.
    It’s kind of confusing because I have 3 different orders coming. LOL.
    So I’m trying to learn all I can a head of time.
    I might take the 50/50 with 3mg of nicotine and mess around with a 120ml and flavor it for a test run.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    So you used Heartland before too?

Yes, I bought eliquid from them for probably 5 years.

But I'm confused...

I’m going to just buy a 250ml of Nic Salts to freeze so when April comes I will have it when I just buy 50/50 and then add the nicotine and flavoring.

Nic salts is nicotine. No need to add anymore nicotine to it.

so when April comes I will have it when I just buy 50/50

You won't be able to buy 50/50 PG/VG mix even without nicotine because a mix of PG/VG sold by a vape retailer is technically flavorless 0mg eliuid, so that is considered "tobacco product" and therefore won't be able to be legally shipped to a residence.

This ban isn't about curtailing nicotine usage, it's about curtailing vaping in general. That's why they consider a mixture of PG and VG with or without nicotine or flavor as "tobacco product". They want you to either smoke cigarettes or quit, with a preference on the former, not so much the latter. ;)

That's why you need to buy concentrated (100mg preferably) nic base first and foremost. Then you can buy PG and VG anywhere at any time.

I have a suggestion for you:
    Instead of jumping head first all of a sudden into DIY, why don't you also order a liter or so of premade ejuice that you like from heartland to tide you over while you are learning how to mix?
    So if I were you, the bare minimum I would buy is...
    - 1 liter of your favorite heartland premade eliquid.
    - 1 liter (at least) of 100mg nic salts (in 100% PG)
    - whatever flavoring(s) you want

Edited to add: unfortunately Heartland is out of stock on liters of 100mg nic salt right now. If you think you want to buy the 100mg nic salt, put an in stock alert on it. You can also buy it elsewhere. LNW has it in stock. That's too bad because 1 liter of nic salt from heartland is enough for free shipping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread