Mod advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Just past 60 days vaping and looking to up my game a little.
My online vape shop has a 20% off deal on mods, and I am torn between the Innokin Kroma A
and the smok Alien Baby. I have a great deal of confidence in Innokin since their T18/22 got me off smoking, but I like the idea of a replaceable battery. I have never tried a Smok product. Both have plenty of power as I am MTL and both seem to have reasonable tanks.
Any tips appreciated.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
I don't personally have many complaints about smok I don't know the other mod. I would recommend out of all my first mods the rx 2/3 with the updated firmware. Most accurate ohm reading I use it more than my ohm meter good battery life and has the option for a third cell. More accurate readings on the Tc and power mode and I bring that up again because I HATE it when something is off and I waste wire cotton or juice.. I guess I would say smok would be a good choice their older rdta s I have leak but I hear they fixed that and that their mods are pretty great
Also VERY IMPORTANT get good batteries!!!

Reactions: stols001

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I know nothing about the Innokin, so just talking about the Al85 Baby Alien which I have.

If size is at/near the top of your wants list, it fits the bill. If you are mtl at under 15 or so watts, it should give you decent battery life but you may want to carry an extra battery (in a protective case, of course!) if out all day. And since you mention the tank it comes with, I run the Baby Beast tank around 54-60 watts while others are happy around 40 watts. Either way, any single 18650 battery mod will struggle to make it through the day. If battery life is as or more important to you as size, you might want to consider a dual 18650 battery mod. Some are surprisingly small and comfortable, provide great battery life, and it is the best/easiest/safest way to carry that "spare" battery.

ETA: Forgot to mention that 60 watts is really pushing the abilities of a 20A battery....not a good idea, so I run my Baby tanks on a dual 18650 mod.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I had one Innokin mod that proved unsatisfactory. That's out of 5.
I had two Smok mods that proved unsatisfactory. That's out of 2.

For me, on reliability only, there is no battle to be tested here. Innokin wins.

However.... these things are cheap these days (we are not talking $120 Joyetech junk from 2014) and if you are well protected with back-ups and can live with a $50 mod not lasting that long, you can buy anything and take a gamble.

I don't like the look of the Kroma so I'd buy the Smok with realistic expectations. $50 over a few months is not enough to lose sleep over. Buying from a store (not online) should give you some confidence. If it was DOA, you get a new one.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I do think Innokin technology is reliable and easy to use. I don't own that mod, so I can't comment. With that said, I don't own a smok mod either, and people tend to love or hate them, so who knows? I have been seeing less complaints about smok recently, I will note (for a while it seemed like a lot of postings) so perhaps their Qc conveyer belt has been slowed down now that there is no deeming date to worry about. I'd say go with the one that appeals to you most, but with smok, make sure of warranty period and etc. I mean really, do that with any mod, but if you buy a smok product I would particularly emphasize buying from a vendor that has excellent customer service. You will likely not need it, but you never know....

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've used both Innokin and Smok products. I've got to say that the Innokin mods proved to be superior to Smok. I've still got my Innokin MVP (still works); I believe I threw away the Smok Gripper. I've tended to avoid Smok since. Most recently, my son was using some Smok regulated mod last year -- it lasted about 6 months.

An advantage to using an mod that uses removeable external batteries is the fact that when the original batteries eventually die, instead of having to replace the entire device like you would with an eGo or a regulated mod that uses a non-replaceable internal battery, you just replace the old battery with a new one. External replaceable batteries are only $6 - $12 and can have a life expectancy of 1 - 2 years. This can end up being a big money saver over the long term. A possible downside might be a one-time additional expense ($20 - $40) of buying a box battery charger to charge these external batteries. An upside is external batteries (IMR chemistry) are a safer chemistry than internal batteries (LiPo chemistry).

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I love Innokin products. I have used a mess of them. They're top quality in the price range. That said, I also agree with @Baditude that I prefer removable battery mods. I don't have the Alien kit, and I haven't used a lot of Smok products (regulated, anyway, I think I have three of the Magneto mechs) so I can't offer any personal experience. Ask me, though, just from reading this board, I think Smok averages pretty well. Yes there are horror stories but IMHO they are outnumbered by the people who love the Alien kit. I don't think you'll go too far wrong with it. And there are also other options: I just bought my son-in-law a Kanger Topbox Nano kit for his birthday-- I do recommend that one, especially for somebody who's still "looking around" for the perfect vape as it is so versatile. Vaporesso also has some mods in the 80ish watt range which are, IMHO, worth looking at. Ditto Smoant. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Thanks all for your replies.
I have had great success with Innokin, so think I will go for the Kroma A.
I do like the fact that replaceable batteries mean you don't have to ditch the mod because of internal battery issues.
Maybe next time around.
If you are not interested in TC look at the Innokin Oceanus a Power (VW) only device single battery that comes with long lasting 20700 batteries.
That said I had 2 Smok Aliens that didn't even last 6 months as well as a friend who had the same results. I used the same Innokin Itaste VTR for 5 years with no problems as well as 2 Innokin SVDs, so my vote is for Innokin. If you want to check out some other mods look at the Eleaf Pico 25, The Picos are proving to be long lasting decent mods that do well in power or TC mode. The 25 will take any tank you put on it where the regular Pico only takes 22mm.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Just past 60 days vaping and looking to up my game a little.
My online vape shop has a 20% off deal on mods, and I am torn between the Innokin Kroma A
and the Smok Alien Baby. I have a great deal of confidence in Innokin since their T18/22 got me off smoking, but I like the idea of a replaceable battery. I have never tried a Smok product. Both have plenty of power as I am MTL and both seem to have reasonable tanks.
Any tips appreciated.
Tanks I would check out:
The Tron-S, with the CLR coils,the EHpro Kayfun Lite V2, Kayfun V5, and the Kanger Subtank Mini with the RBA/purch option.
I vape RDA almost exclusively, could check:
Beginner's Guide to the Art of Dripping - Vapor Cloud Reviews
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
2015: The Art of the Drip – A Dripping Primer
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
https://quitsmokingcommunity.org/electronic-cigarettes/what-is-an-atomizer-definition/
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
I Love my RDA
Then tailor the mod to your vape requirements. I'm a MTL vapor and found the Eleaf Istick 40 TC to be the best internal battery for my use.

• Informative

zuuuus333

Moved On
Nov 8, 2017
  • Deleted by classwife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread