Hi Newbie Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Hi All
My wife and i are quitting smoking and (obviously) going to start vaping need some advice please? My wife wants something like a cigarette, i am thinking of maybe Innokin T20 or smok Pen. I think I'll end up DTL but wary of that to start, I don't care about size or shape and thinking about Innokin Kroma A with a Zenith, do they sound about right? I figure on going with a tobacco Cubano and she something Tobacco also like USA Blend both in 50/50 Blend and 12mg or 18mg.

Any thoughts have i got it right/wrong any other suggestions, thanks in advance................Help!

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Welcome to ECF Georgia Boy:)
    A Kroma-A kit with the Zenith should work well for the both of you.
    You can get a really good MTL draw for cigarette type vaping and you can also test the waters with DTL yourself by opening the airflow all the way. If you like DTL u can then upgrade to Beefier tank!

No doubt you'll get some more suggestions from some helpful folks:thumbs:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Hello and welcome
    The Kroma/Zenith is a great starter kit. I would steer your wife clear of any device she has no control over settings. If she's not interested in the Kroma shape take a look at something like the Geekvape flint kit. It has 3 settings for her to choose from.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece
    A Kroma-A kit with the Zenith should work well for the both of you.
    We're in 100% agreement here.
    Kroma-a kit is a great choice for both of you.More battery capacity than T20,many available coils(T20 I think has only one coil option) larger tank capacity than T20.And it does both MTL and restricted DL.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Welcome. I don't know much, but what I do know is Smok should probably be avoided. I've had decent luck with some of their kit, but there are much better options.

That combo of Karoma and zenith is well regarded around here, but I've not tried it myself.
    As for something cigarette sized, most around here will try and ward you off those, as they tend to be the most problematic, as far as consistency. There are exceptions, and I actually started vaping again on something very similar. It was a ccell4 I think, and a pen sized stick battery. That cartridge lasted about a 5 day period of chain vaping, so all considered, not bad at all, but I had to charge that 280mah battery about 5-6 times a day.
    That does work for some though.

12-18mg should be plenty, but if not, you could try a lower strength salt nic, say, 25-35mg.

As for inhalation technique, the one point I will make is this: the flavor belongs in the mouth and nose, and the nicotine absorbs through the sinuses much better than the lungs. Mulling the vapor like one would do for a cigar or pipe is my prefers method. Far less coughing that way in the beginning too.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure more people will be along shortly to correct my errors and o ersights.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Hi All
    My wife and i are quitting smoking and (obviously) going to start vaping need some advice please? My wife wants something like a cigarette, i am thinking of maybe Innokin T20 or Smok Pen. I think I'll end up DTL but wary of that to start, I don't care about size or shape and thinking about Innokin Kroma A with a Zenith, do they sound about right? I figure on going with a Tobacco Cubano and she something Tobacco also like USA Blend both in 50/50 Blend and 12mg or 18mg.

Any thoughts have i got it right/wrong any other suggestions, thanks in advance................Help!
    Howdy and welcome. :)
    I would go for the t20 before the SMOK pen. SMOK has a thoroughly earned reputation for low reliability. The t20 is still bigger than a cigarette though which is probably good. A good cigalike is almost a contradiction in terms. There’s one that had a predecessor that was decent though, and may be worth looking at on those merits. It’s still new though so is classed as an unknown currently. The eroll MAC.

As far as nic goes that one can be hard to predict before hand. One option is a bottle of 24mg and a bottle of zero in the same flavor. Between the two you can make whatever nic strength you want that works for you. Many flavors only come in 6mg/ml which may cause issues, but “heating up” a juice with high nic base is very doable.

Which particular flavor you will like is also very hard to predict. Different People taste flavors very differently. What has always seemed best to me is to go to a Brick&Mortar store that has a juice tasting bar (they’re frequently called “vape lounges” for some reason) there you can try a whole bunch of juice flavors very quickly for a very low cost so you can find something you like. You may find yourself surprised at what turns out to be your favorite.

Reactions: greek mule

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014

Hello and welcome. :)

Something to hold in an open mind regarding vaping, it is not smoking. There is a lot of difference in choice, in how you do it. Understand once you find what works for you, you've found your best/right way to do it.

When you get to that point sure you listen to others and consider the advice and opinions, but stick with your way. Nobody here, or generally in vaping will go on all out holy wars to tell you otherwise. If they do then you can right away ignore anything they spiel. Try different things on occasion but only if you want to do so.

Also be aware there is a bit of a learning curve. Try not to get frustrated by that. The learning will pay off for you by bounds. Again welcome. :)

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Hello and welcome. :)

Something to hold in an open mind regarding vaping, it is not smoking. There is a lot of difference in choice, in how you do it. Understand once you find what works for you, you've found your best/right way to do it.

When you get to that point sure you listen to others and consider the advice and opinions, but stick with your way. Nobody here, or generally in vaping will go on all out holy wars to tell you otherwise. If they do then you can right away ignore anything they spiel. Try different things on occasion but only if you want to do so.

Also be aware there is a bit of a learning curve. Try not to get frustrated by that. The learning will pay off for you by bounds. Again welcome. :)
    Totally agree on everything but one point, some go on crusades over battery safety... There definitely is a wrong way about that.

• Agree
    Reactions: MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    Totally agree on everything but one point, some go on crusades over battery safety... There definitely is a wrong way about that.

I'm mindful of battery safety myself. That noted, I can also agree with the point you make here. Frankly, I think it is human nature to rebel against "well, I'm going to preach this at you, ..." Nobody wants to be preached down to, or made to feel that. This is why I say that I can respect the opines of other folks and then go do my thing, my way. I know sometimes like most every other human, I can make dumb dumb mistakes. That doesn't mean I'm not going to learn, or that I'm a bad person that lacks common sense. Well, in some things I might but we're talking vaping at the moment. :D :) So yes, I agree.

Reactions: HigherStateD

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

I'm hoping that you've gone for the Kroma kit for you and the Frenzy for her. That way you can change it up a bit and explore :)

Very important at the beginning to get the nic level right....I would advise 18mg/ml minimum and salt nic up to 36mg/ml. The last thing you need at first is a nic craving while you're going through the other changes involved. The salts will be better used in a mtl device so try both and see how you feel....

Good luck....and let us know how you get on :)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Welcome and hope you get off the cigs. I have been trying different juices (vapebox sends me a variety box each month... very affordable) Anyway, some are only 6mg nicotine and/or too thick so I just mix with some 18mg nicotine, 50/50 tobacco flavor juice. My first juice (that I liked) was Naked tobacco (65vg/35pg) but there are much better tobacco juices out there. If you can afford it, Black Note is highly rated and easy on coils. Lots of good people here and good advice... try to learn the "lingo" it can be confusing at first. So many choices of devices... mostly depends on how you vape (MTL, DTL, clouds) I warned you about learning the lingo. Don't worry if you break down and have a cig... just keep trying. It's worth it and you might find vaping is really enjoyable and even fun. I don't miss cigs anymore after 2 months (although I did slip a few times) Really good support from people here.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

I'm hoping that you've gone for the Kroma kit for you and the Frenzy for her. That way you can change it up a bit and explore :)

Very important at the beginning to get the nic level right....I would advise 18mg/ml minimum and salt nic up to 36mg/ml. The last thing you need at first is a nic craving while you're going through the other changes involved. The salts will be better used in a mtl device so try both and see how you feel....

Good luck....and let us know how you get on :)

Totally. Getting different kit for each would allow for test driving, so to speak. Not every vape satisfies every craving either. Sometimes, I find I like a more restricted pull, but not at 160w.
    When I smoked, it was mostly cigarettes, but sometimes it was a pipe, or a 60 gauge cigar. Now I keep a pod with higher salt nic for emergencies on the go if my main vape has issues that I can't fix til I get home, or a bad craving, but as I get further from smoking, my body keeps telling me to lower the dose. 36mg *should* be enough. For me, it wasn't at first, and it took a toll vaping that much nic, but it got me through the first week to 10 days or so until I got something moderately powerful, in the same range as the frenzy, and immidatly started lowering mgs. I was a heavy RYO 40+ coffin nail a day user though. Hope my ramblings helped, at least some and best of luck with it.

• Agree
    Reactions: charlie1465

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    @HigherStateD makes a very good point here about the relationship between the type of smoker you were and what you need to vape.

Certainly if you were a 2 pack of death sticks per day person then a high nic is essential and imo you'll hardly notice it but maybe go a bit lower if you're way less.

I must stress here though that the strength of the nic needs to be enough :)

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    @HigherStateD makes a very good point here about the relationship between the type of smoker you were and what you need to vape.

Certainly if you were a 2 pack of death sticks per day person then a high nic is essential and imo you'll hardly notice it but maybe go a bit lower if you're way less.

I must stress here though that the strength of the nic needs to be enough :)
    Yeah... 50mg/per ml, 10ml a day, MTL, 1.8ohm is where I started. Is it any wonder I ended up at 3mg per, chuching clouds at 30ml a day? Did I mention I can feel my aorta? I need to drop to 1 mg...

• Love
    Reactions: charlie1465

FlyerTom

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2009
    Nor'Eastern PA
    mjHJuAF.png

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    i am thinking of maybe Innokin T20
    Innokin has a decent reputation in vaping. The MTL T20 is a good non sub ohm/fixed simple watt system that should be fine for the wife to learn/use. Good choice.
    I don't care about size or shape and thinking about Innokin Kroma A
    Might go with non sub ohm coils with MTL and see how you like it. Far cheaper $$ in the long run (less e liquid used) and if doesn't do the trick, go with the sub ohm coils.
    re: All About Sub-Ohm Vaping - The Perks and the Problems
    https://www.ecigology.com/mouth-to-lung-vs-direct-to-lung-vape-guide/
    I figure on going with a Tobacco Cubano and she something Tobacco also like USA Blend both in 50/50 Blend and 12mg or 18mg.
    I like the RY 4 tobacco the best, taste is subjective. Your tobac choices (nic: good start range) above could be spot on too.
    The information below may help you learn more about vaping:
    Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
    Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly - Vaping360
    https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
    E Cigarette Academy: User Guides and Tutorials For Beginner and Intermediate Vapers – Ashtray Blog
    Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
    Vaping 101: An Ultimate Guide Focusing on Basics for Beginners
    6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread