Mod button getting hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
I am using my newly arrived 4nine clone mod with a sony vtc4 battery and plumveil rda running .3 ohm checked on my seigeli 20w. All day yesterday and earlier this morning everything was fine and I was loving my new mod (except for the wonky switch that has to be pushed straight on or it gets too crooked to fire). Just a moment ago I felt the switch get very hot so obviously I got off of it and took the battery out. The battery was not warm. I put the battery in my seigeli and it was just over 3.3 volts left. So my question is does a mod get warm/hot when the battery is getting week?

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
I would agree with AzPlumber. I would first try to clean the entire mod, threads, body, etc. I would tear apart the switch assembly and clean that and the contacts as well. Also, to be safe, if you are going to run coils that low (< .5) you consider investing in a multimeter that can measure resistance more accurately than most ohm-meters on the market and in some cases, more accurately than other mods with ohm-meters. Not a necessity, but if you are going to vape that low, then it's always best to adopt the "better safe than sorry" attitude IMO.

Good luck!

nynvolt

Aug 2, 2014
Placentia, CA, USA
No!
The button gets hot when there is a poor connection, it restricts the flow of electrons and released as heat. Check all contact points and make sure they are clean.

This. The button in the 49 is probably going a bit wonky. I think they are susceptible because of the floating magnetic switch.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
The button getting hot is a sign of a short and or something isn't right.

You should take the entire switch apart and clean it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip, do all the threads etc.

Washing it in hot soapy water won't hurt either.
The button getting hot is not a short but rather the opposite of a short. The button has excessive resistance. Its that resistance that is causing the heat.

For the OP:
Make sure the button is clean and making proper contact. If your clone is not machined properly, you may have to true up the contact surfaces.

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
That worked thank you. I can't use it today I have to recharge my battery its getting too low. Does anyone know where I can get original Sony VTC4 or 5. I would prefer to get it on eBay or anywhere else that takes Paypal. I keep some money in that account so my wife doesn't get on me every time I make a purchase.

I can't speak to the authenticity of any specific ebay sellers, but I would probably suggest paying attention to their feedback. Check it and see if they've received positive or negative feedback on those batteries in the past, and that they are reputable sellers.

You can also check at fatdaddyvapes. It looks like they are out right now as I don't see them listed on there, but when they are in, I think all he takes is paypal.

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
I would agree with AzPlumber. I would first try to clean the entire mod, threads, body, etc. I would tear apart the switch assembly and clean that and the contacts as well. Also, to be safe, if you are going to run coils that low (< .5) you consider investing in a multimeter that can measure resistance more accurately than most ohm-meters on the market and in some cases, more accurately than other mods with ohm-meters. Not a necessity, but if you are going to vape that low, then it's always best to adopt the "better safe than sorry" attitude IMO.

Good luck!

I agree with you and I have an ohm meter also and use it after every build. I am not really wanting to vape that low. I prefer .8-1.1 ohm but this was just a little test I was running to see what the hype was about. I checked it on my seigeli after the button got hot just because it was quicker than pulling out the ohm meter to check for a short. I just checked with the ohm meter and it is .3 on that also. I am not chasing clouds are really into the "my coil ohm is lower than yours" thing. I just read about things here and want to experience and try things so that I can talk intelligently (some what) and not just regurgitate what I have read or heard. Thanks for the help.

I ditched my 4nine for this same reason. As much as I cleaned it and maintained it, it just wasn't worth it to me. Even when clean it had a finicky switch that I had to press just right. :mad:

Though best of luck to you and heed to all the advice everyone has posted; it is all along the lines of what I would suggest/what I did while I still owned mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread