Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Not sure where else to post this, so being a n00b, I'll post it here.

My current favorite setup is a Kanger Protank 2 on a 1300 mAh smok spinner. It produces the most satisfying vape of anything I've tried. However, that's mostly the tank; it works just as well on an iTaste VV V3; it just doesn't feel right hanging on that smaller, lighter battery.

My first question is: Would I gain anything by putting a Protank 2 on a "mod" (e.g. a Provari or similar) vs. using it on a simple (and cheap) 1300 mAh spinner? I realize a mod is required to in order to produce enough current to run a really low resistance coil, but I don't plan to use any really low resistance coils. I also understand that mods use higher-capacity batteries and thus have longer battery life, but I have no problem with battery life. So what am I missing?

My second question is: What's the fascination people seem to have with "mechanical" mods? Other than being resistant to an EMP attack, I see no advantages to them, but all sorts of disadvantages; no over-current protection, no under-voltage protection, output voltage varying depending on the state-of-charge of the battery, not being able to adjust the output voltage to suit the atomizer and the juice in it, etc, etc. So why do some people prefer them?

Anyway, I would sincerely appreciate any schooling you fine folks could offer here.
XRoMWhx.gif

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello.
Nothing wrong with a spinner. It does allow you some vv, does it not? The bigger the battery, the longer it will last between charges and the hit may be strong also because there is more power behind it. But if you are happy with what you have and it works for you, no need to change it. Depending on how long and heavy a smoker you were will determine your satisifaction level. Personally, I need something really strong that would hit hard since I smoked for many, many years.
Mech mods these days, will totally blow you away. Some are saying that after just a few hits, that the rush is there, just like it was with cigarettes. If that is important to you then maybe look into it.
Other than that, maybe someone who actually has them will chime in.
Hope this helps just a little.
:)

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
I think a Smoktech battery is great! I still use mine, along with my iTaste VV, my MPV, and my mech. I guess I like the versatility of all of my devices. The allure of the mech mod, is definitely the ability to vape at low and sub-ohm resistances. When you vape at very low resistances, you generally get more warmth, more flavor, and more vapor.

Generally folks like using rebuildable atomizers on mechs and vape at low and sub-ohm resistances. Also, mechs are ever so pretty and shiny (JK!!!) And yes, while you don't have the protection that you get with a regulated device, YOU become the protection of your mech. You have to learn about ohms, volts, watts, c ratings, and amp limits of your batteries. If you don't know how much amperage your device is drawing from your battery, then you have no business vaping a mech. If you put in the time and research, you can get the best vape of your life of an RDA and a mech. Just my 2 cents! KCAVO!

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
A protank is a protank with whatever you put it on, but when put on a Provari you can increase or decrease the voltage to get the maximum vape potential out of it, and have the same consistent vape throughout the charge cycle or the battery. There are much better atomizers to use that produce substantially more vapor and flavor than a PT.

Mechanical mods are generally for those who are into re-buildable atomizers, though one can certainly use a changeable or carto on one. By going sub ohm such as .5 ohms, a mechanical will but out around 32 watts of power. The vape at that level is thick juicy and very addictive, as long as your rba/rda can wick well enough and supply enough air. And yes, the only protection is the user. That is why I use a 30 amp battery when using a sub ohm build. But I also use a kick 2 on my mechanical with my standard ohm build atomizers. The kick turns a mech into a regulated Variable Wattage device, with all the protection of a regulated. I do keep the kick cranked up to 15 watts when I use it.

The difference between what an ego can produce and a good regulated or mechanical mod with a good rba or rda on it is like night and day. I just finished charging up an old ego battery of mine that I am gifting to my neighbor for Christmas, threw on my last protank that I have and took a vape. It really made me laugh to think that I was ever satisfied with the vape it provides. It really made me appreciate how far I have come with my build and vape gear. Would never consider going back to an ego anything and a changeable atomizer.

I currently have 2 mods, the Provari regulated, and the Nemesis mechanical. I am totally into rba's, DIY juice, and chase the ultimate vape satisfaction. I build my rba's to maximize their potential, on some that means going sub ohm and using the Nemi, on others it means a 1.5-2 ohm build and using the Provari cranked to the max or the Nemi with the kick 2.

Vape is a progressive learning experience, and where one stops is up to them. When I started to vape it was with a cig-a-like device, it got me off the smokes, but, I felt like there was something missing, that lead me to an ego and a Prortank, then the Provari, and then rebuildables. Started DIY juice and then explored the Mechanical world of vape and ventured into the sub ohm zone. I have found what was missing and discovered so much more.

If you are completely satisfied with the vape your have now, then that's great. But if you feel something missing, well there is gear that will complete the equation. Everything one wants to know about the world of vape is in this forum. Tis where I learned to build, mix and buy. lol.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The allure of the mech mod, is definitely the ability to vape at low and sub-ohm resistances.
So there are no electronic ones that can handle sub-ohm loads? If not, maybe I should design one. :D

Also, mechs are ever so pretty and shiny]
Yeah, I know; there's a particular one I lust after for exactly that reason. :laugh:

And yes, while you don't have the protection that you get with a regulated device, YOU become the protection of your mech. You have to learn about ohms, volts, watts, c ratings, and amp limits of your batteries.
No problem there; understanding battery powered DC stuff isn't hard for someone who was a physics major in college and spent a number of years designing power supplies that pushed literally thousands of amps into industrial furnaces. Part of the spec for those was that they had to be fail-safe; you could drop a crow-bar across the output without hurting anything (not even blowing the fuses on the inputs!). I guess that's part of the reason the idea of a mech-mod bothers me; I know lithium-ion batteries don't have much of a sense of humor about being shorted. ;)

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
If you are happy with what you are using then rock on with it! I like the idea of VV/VW because I couldn't always get cartomizers in the resistance I wanted when I needed them. Variable gives you the option to make what you can get work for what you want to do.

As for mechanical's, I disagree that they are only for sub-ohm and I've no idea where that myth came from! Most of us like them just because there isn't anything in them to break that we can't fix! No boards, no chips, no wires, nothing, just pure simplicity!
I have both, a Provari and several mechanical's, which I've used everything from clearomizers, cartomizers, carto tanks,RDA's and RBA's on all of them!

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
Hey Rossum,
That sounds like it works great. May look like a lolipop, but if it works great ....why change?
You have the iTaste vv v3, Spinner 1300,
not much change to a Mod, except for a larger battery format, longer battery life.
With the iTaste VV V3 you are not missing anything but longer battery life,
extra charger, extra batteries, more battery baby sitting time compared with a Mod.
The Mech Mods are a whole different world, and not for the faint of heart......
They require constant supervision 24/7 .....IMHO.
If what you have is working......(but looks sci-fi) stick with it.....
Ease into any changes....
My PT II is sitting on a VV eGo 1100 and works great, IMHO

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
May look like a lolipop, but if it works great ....why change?
The 1300 mAh spinners are a few mm greater in diameter than typical eGo style batteries, so they look less goofy with a PT2 on 'em than a standard diameter eGo style battery would. It's actually a nicely balanced assembly that feels good in the hand.

With the iTaste VV V3 you are not missing anything but longer battery life
Since it's a pass-through and can be used while charging, the Innokin VV V3 doesn't need huge battery capacity; I mean who doesn't have a micro-USB cable at their desk and in their car? Oh, wait, I forgot, people with iPhones still don't use an industry-standard micro-USB connectors.. :facepalm:

Anyway, I don't think I need a mod. And in some ways, it would be impractical for me, since I'm constantly switching between a variety of flavors. But I really do want this one as a novelty:

bullet_layout1d_-_6.jpg

:w00t:

Last edited:

Schmucko

Oct 26, 2013
Lakewood
I started on this vaping adventure about 4 months ago and it has been a trip down the rabbit hole that shows no signs of light at the end. I didn't need a mod either, but here I sit with VTR at hand and my first dripper atop it. I want the .50 Cal just so I can set it on my table and drool on it! The machining on that thing is beautiful and I happen to be into guns also. I hear GREAT things about it. If you can afford to get it do so!

Schmucko

Oct 26, 2013
Lakewood
I like the box mods and already have 2 regulated devices, the MVPv2 and the VTR. My question is not regarding the allure of a mech, but the safety precautions necessary. I want a superior vaping experience, not a blown up battery. What do some of the veterans do to make sure that you're getting a great vape without having to worry about hurting the battery, device, or yourself?

Apologies if this is already in another thread...I was sort of lazy and didn't look much.

Oggy

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2010
Sabattus, ME, US
I got a mech to carry to work, I didnt want to have to worry about messing up my Evic. I like the looks and cheap to replace if i beak it. As far as safety it varies depending on you battery. You need to find its AMP limit and plug that and the OHMs of what your using into an OMHs law calculator, but this is an abbreviated version. I dont sub OHM, so i would suggest looking into some of those threads.

gsx678

Jun 30, 2011
ohio
I had great EASY results with a 1100 ego battery and ce4s and ce6 cartos...So i decided to try the mods. here is what happened.
I just got my VTR last week.
I must say I LIKE IT.
My prior mod was a SID. (I also liked the SID) Very reliable although every once in a while I would have to pull the battery because the device froze)
I like the fact that it uses 18650 batteries. Carry a spare and your golden.
Tanks tanks and tanks. I get the issue here that they all don't fit---but--- I use the protank 2, vivi nova and Iclear 30 that came with the VTR so...no issue on tank for me. I would like to try the IClear 30B down the road
The adapter is useful but i guess kinda hokey. I do use ce4s and ce6 and iclear 16 and a trident clone RBA sometimes with this adapter.
I got my VTR in green and I like the finish.
It is heavy but not to heavy. I like how short it is compared to the SID. Fits in the pockets nicely. Perfect fit in the door handle pocket in my car also.
The deal I got was on EVIL-BAY I paid $70.00 with free shipping for the VTR kit, a charger and a battery. This was by far the BEST deal anywhere so I decided to give it a try and I am glad I did. I give it 2 thumbs up.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread