Mod or Batteries problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tiddies

Feb 16, 2019
So, I usually have the answer for most of my vape problems but I am not sure about this one. Im running a Falcon on a Tpriv and I have suddenly encountered an issue where my mod is getting extremely hot. Not the tank, just the mod. I know its not from chain vaping because i wont even hit it and it will get hot. I am thinking that its the batteries. Theyre old-ish and in all honesty some what subject to over charging. However, this problem didnt start until about an hour ago when i took the batteries out to put on the charger and left the charger cable that i had plugged into the mod itself plugged in to the empty mod. Before that everything was fine. Does anyone know of overheating problems that came up after an empty mod was left on a charger cable? Or coule this for sure just be the batteries?

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So, no batteries in, just the USB cord into the mod with what should be a dead board and the mod/board got really hot?

If that's correct, it's not the batteries, they weren't in there. The board should never get hot sitting around unused like that so I'd say you have an issue with that board. If I misread your post then obviously the answer will be different, so knowing what got hot and when and where the batteries were at the time are key.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
You took the batteries out while charging the batteries? I think likely the charging circuitry was still active and drawing current but with nowhere to send it. Had you removed the cable before the batteries it would have cut the current. Had you plugged it in after removing the batteries it would have recognized that it was empty. I would, after it's cooled down try plugging it in with no batteries installed. If it heats up, the device is a goner IMO. If it doesn't, it was a bizarre fluke that you've now learned not to duplicate.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Tpriv is a Smok mod, right? So you're using a somewhat unsafe mod (IMHO--Smok mods are usually regarded here as low-quality mods), old (and probably unsafe) batteries, and on top of that, you left an empty mod on a charger? Did I get it right?

My advice? Get new batteries (recommended by Mooch) and a new mod. Your Smok is most likely damaged. Better safe than sorry.

4c04c551-0cd1-4b2f-8232-0f18f5d52f9c-jpeg.781203

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
So, I usually have the answer for most of my vape problems but I am not sure about this one. Im running a Falcon on a Tpriv and I have suddenly encountered an issue where my mod is getting extremely hot. Not the tank, just the mod. I know its not from chain vaping because i wont even hit it and it will get hot. I am thinking that its the batteries. Theyre old-ish and in all honesty some what subject to over charging. However, this problem didnt start until about an hour ago when i took the batteries out to put on the charger and left the charger cable that i had plugged into the mod itself plugged in to the empty mod. Before that everything was fine. Does anyone know of overheating problems that came up after an empty mod was left on a charger cable? Or coule this for sure just be the batteries?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Suggest you personally contact:
SMOK --->SMOKTech
Phone: (704) 696-8900.
Support: SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!
email: support@smoktech.com
ECF Smok dealer: VapeSourcing Vapesourcing
Vape Shop Online E-Cigarette & E-liquid Best For Sale
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/verashu.262193/#profile-post-71627

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
STOP USING THAT MOD!! :danger:

It sounds from your description that the electronics (board or charging unit) are defective. A mod (mechanical or regulated) should never feel hot for any reason.

SMOK has a bad reputation for making sub-par products, and I never recommend their use. Below is home security cam footage of a SMOK mod exploding into a fire ball.

For future use, charge your batteries in an external Li-ion battery charger, and not via micro-USB charging cord. You'll be able to monitor the batteries easier while they are charging.

Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

Buy a new mod and some new batteries.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread