The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Mod Parasitic Drain When Left On?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Rob B., Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Rob B.

Rob B. Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Hey all. I have a few mods, and was just wondering if I can leave my current use one's on when they are sitting on my desk. Is there a parasitic drain on the battery, even if I'm not hitting the draw button? Thanks!

The Innokin and Aspire in particular
    Sunday Night Companions Reduced.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    All electronic mods will have some parasitic drain as long as a battery is installed. It will be highest while the display is on (as pictured). Once the display shuts off, it should decrease to dramatically, like to the point where leaving it that way for a few days won't make a noticeable difference to the battery's state-of-charge. Some mods also have a "deep sleep" mode, where the drain drops to a few micro-amps. That's for all intents and purposes negligible. But there is no way to truly turn then OFF and reduce the parasitic drain to zero without removing the battery (assuming they have a removable battery). Turning them "off" via five clicks likely won't make a difference. Think of that as "locked" rather than "off".

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    There is a parasitic drain. But with most mods it is not much at all. I doubt you would even notice a difference after a week.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Rob B.

Thanks Rossum! I collect high end hand held led flashlights also. The parasitic drain is always a question for them too.

Collection Reduced.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Some are far far far worse than others. I have a few mods I've learned never to leave a battery in as the mod will vampire the cell to 0. Others are fine even after months on the shelf.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Northstar6

Northstar6 Senior Member

May 16, 2019
    Anyone who's got a bunch of 18650s laying around needs at least one good flashlight

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. ChelsB

ChelsB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    :offtopic: but happy birthday, @Shawn Hoefer

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah it depends on the mod. My freaking Revenger X (which I love) is gonna drain the batteries a LOT (on or off) thanks to the ginormous power allocation it gives to the clock which I thought I wanted but is USELESS to me. They cylon (another clock mod) is just as bad. Some just really suck.

My Steampunk nano has almost zero drain. I don't even bother turning it off unless I am taking it somewhere. It all depends on the chip in the mod.

Anna

• Like Like x 6
  9. Rob B.

Thanks Anna. Sounds very similar to my lights. A majority of them have chips in them, and the parasitic drain varies from light to light.

• Like Like x 2
  10. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    The Maglite, E01, and G2 have mechanical switches. ie no parasitic drain.

Items with electronic switches have parasitic drain. Items with a clock have much more parasitic drain.

The Orca likely has the least parasitic drain.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Fidola13

Fidola13 Prepper Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    You can turn the clock Off in the settings.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Since I started vaping and using mods almost 8 years ago, I have never shut off a mod , at least the ones in my rotation. I do have a dozen that I dont use anymore and those have no batteries installed, but the dozen I do use stay on . Some of the ones that are on, may not get used for days, but I still leave them ready to go....but they are small, single 18650's, so they dont really drain that much....

• Like Like x 5
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you Madame @Fidola13 , good to know.

I'm not touching my cylon though. The screen is not dying (yet) and I hear if you fiddle with things at all, like brightness, it can die. That happened to my first one. I was reluctant to buy another but I loved the vape so much!

The Revenger will be de-clocked. Once I figure it out. LOL.

Anna

14. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Does a suite of dual 18650 headlamps count?

15. Northstar6

Northstar6 Senior Member

May 16, 2019
    Of course!

Which reminds me I could one for camping. The ultralight one I use for running is great, but a single AAA doesn't exactly have much capacity.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ppeeble

ppeeble Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    Worst offenders for me (i.e. draining the battery to dangerous levels in a short time) have been the Wismec Sinuous and EVERY no-name mod i've owned.
    Best for minimal drain have always been the Aspire mods & Innokin. You should be good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RuiG

RuiG Super Member

May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    With Vaporesso turn off the auto functions and reduce screen timeout. In my Armour it's a world of difference.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vapedog

Vapedog Super Member

Oct 28, 2018
    I turn my mods off if not being used. Its just a few to five clicks on again. I really have not noticed anything where I have turned one on after several days and thought "wow, how'd that lose charge?"
    I have seen batteries though left in chargers after they reached charge and it gets turned off just a day later lose a significant amount of charge.

• Like Like x 1
  19. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    My Joyetech Dolphin has been on for over a year. It sets on display among other noteable items in my den. Once in a while I'll grab it and "click" "thwwwwwwwth" "pwaaaaaaah" "nice and grapey"
    Still shows 5 outta 5 bars.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.