Mod Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Hey there,

Looking for mod recommendations for a basic rda setup. I have the Wotofo Recurve, I doubt I'll buy different types since this one works fine.

I don't know if I'll use the rda super often, so I'm not sure if a squonker is all that important, and I don't mind dripping on the Recurve. When I do use it, it wrecks my Innokin Kroma-A battery.

Basically I'm looking for something regulated, durable, comfortable in the hand, something that can deal with using an rda at 30-40 watts without dying in 10 mins ... doesn't have to be visually pleasing or anything like that, I would rather have functional.

There's a Voopoo Drag (157w with Gene chip (not sure what that is)) on sale at a local store for $65CAD. I'm not sure if that's a good price, or a good mod. It looks pretty large, so if there's something that's maybe a bit smaller, I would probably prefer that.

I am open to any suggestions or recommendations.

Reactions: stols001

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello TylerA, Smoant Battlestar is a good simple dual 18650 beater mod. Less than 38 USD from fasttech.

Have one in yellow myself and can recommend them as something simple, well made and they work well.

But with an RDA, have you ever thought of Squonking? Saves the hassle of dripping.

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Hello TylerA, Smoant Battlestar is a good simple dual 18650 beater mod. Less than 38 USD from fasttech.

Have one in yellow myself and can recommend them as something simple, well made and they work well.

But with an RDA, have you ever thought of Squonking? Saves the hassle of dripping.

I suppose I'm not opposed to the idea of squonking .. I usually vape MTL, and usually use the RDA mostly for testing flavors.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
This is just a tad below average for the Drag. Cheaper can be found in Canada but honestly, it is not the greatest device ergonomic wise. Heavy with sharp edges. And the finish, although looks great when new, scratches just with a stern look.

Being out of Alberta Canada, Gas City Vapes usually has some good deals. Vaporesso Armour for $60 is not bad – and with that price you qualify for their free shipping. Cheaper can be found but you may have to spend more to receive free shipping which could end up being more expensive in the long run.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
Dovpo Topside is a great mod. I have a few mods that I use mainly for RDAs and this has become my go to. You can squonk or not with it. It is plenty powerful enough for a single coil RDA. The TC firmware works pretty good with not too much adjusting. I will be getting another one if they upgrade it with a Yihi SX chip. Very well priced at just over $70 at eciggity.com

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
That Vaporesso Armor looks pretty nice .. do they make something comparable for a squonk?

Nope. If looking for a cheap and good squonker – Canada e-juice has the Vandy Vape Pulse 80 for $30. Spend another $20 on juice or accessories to qualify for free shipping. You will not find a better deal than that if looking for a squonker.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Dna 75c with either a 21/20700, 26650 or maybe the dna250c in two battery mode. Yes their expensive but it's the last device you'll need to buy (I've still got my original 200 from 2015). Besides dna and Yihi most single battery mods are not going to last long at that wattage. I would recommend dual 18650 if you don't want to spend a whole lot of money I would recommend the Innokin Proton. The drag is a great mod I would buy one if it's not too big for you. There's also the Aegis legend if you want a mod that's bulletproof and has a decent board.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Be aware if you plan to drip with the Recurve it doesn't have much of a well (barely any) so you'll be dripping every 3-4 draws. It really is better suited for a squonker.

Also if you're a mtl vaper, the Recurve is not. While you can use it for testing, it can be confusing judging flavor with a test atty of a totally different type of draw than you're used to. It won't taste the same in your adv mtl tanks. It's a good rda, but it wouldn't be my first choice for dripping or testing.

If you do want to try squonking, it's a nice rda to use. There are good reasonably priced squonkers out there and you've already gotten good advice there. What type of tank/mods are you currently using? That might help in suggestions.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm going to go a bit sideways for a minute ... you did mention you are generally an MTL vaper, and just using the recurve at 30-40 watts for testing flavors. You might consider one (or more) of the nice MTL RDAs available these days: Berserker MTL RDA (or clones), Galaxies MTL RDA, Etna MTL RDA, Ammit MTL RDA. You could set it up for a vape more like your other MTL devices so that testing flavors would be more similar to your main setup(s) --- or put it on a squonker and have it become a main setup :)

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Be aware if you plan to drip with the Recurve it doesn't have much of a well (barely any) so you'll be dripping every 3-4 draws. It really is better suited for a squonker.

Also if you're a mtl vaper, the Recurve is not. While you can use it for testing, it can be confusing judging flavor with a test atty of a totally different type of draw than you're used to. It won't taste the same in your adv mtl tanks. It's a good rda, but it wouldn't be my first choice for dripping or testing.

If you do want to try squonking, it's a nice rda to use. There are good reasonably priced squonkers out there and you've already gotten good advice there. What type of tank/mods are you currently using? That might help in suggestions.

I currently only have an Innokin Kroma-A mod, the Zenith MTL tank, and the Recurve RDA. For the RDA, I don't want complicated, which is why I decided to get the Recurve .. it was super easy to setup.

The desire for a 2nd mod is in case something happens to my Kroma, I have a backup and so I can switch back and forth from the Zenith and the Recurve if the mood struck.

I'm going to go a bit sideways for a minute ... you did mention you are generally an MTL vaper, and just using the recurve at 30-40 watts for testing flavors. You might consider one (or more) of the nice MTL RDAs available these days: Berserker MTL RDA (or clones), Galaxies MTL RDA, Etna MTL RDA, Ammit MTL RDA. You could set it up for a vape more like your other MTL devices so that testing flavors would be more similar to your main setup(s) --- or put it on a squonker and have it become a main setup :)

From the limited experience I have I don't mind vaping DTL, its just something I wouldn't want to do full time.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The Kroma A is very nice. You could get a second one as a backup to keep it simple. If you go with a replaceable rather than built in battery, you'll need to figure in the cost of decent batteries from a reliable vendor (not terrible $5-7 each, and for two battery mods should always remain paired so for a two battery mod I'd order 4, so you always have an extra set to swap in if you run them down) and an external charger. Those batteries should in general not be charged in the mod unless like an emergency of you're out and traveling.

The Smoant stuff is very good, I have their Cylon and am happy with it. The other already mentioned Proton from Innokin I also have and think it's one of the best 2 battery mods for the price out there with a great screen and really small size for a dual battery. For a squonk the Pulse as also already mentioned is very popular and runs on 1 battery which for a midrange build like a 0.4-5 ohm build will last you all day at reasonable wattage. It will also take a 20700 battery for a bit more run time. The Pulse 90w version will take a 21700 battery which are increasingly popular and is the later version but I believe uses the same internals.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The Pulse 90w version will take a 21700 battery which are increasingly popular and is the later version but I believe uses the same internals.

They are identical outside the 21700 vs 20700 battery. The Pulse 80 even got a power boast to 90 watts through a firmware upgrade when the Pulse 90 was released. Own 2 Pulse 80’s….although they are not my favorite device, they are the most used given their portability. And despite the Pulse squonk bottle may look proprietary, aftermarket bottles do fit which I personally think is a huge plus for a squonker. Especially given the limited production life some of these devices have.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
They are identical outside the 21700 vs 20700 battery. The Pulse 80 even got a power boast to 90 watts through a firmware upgrade when the Pulse 90 was released. Own 2 Pulse 80’s….although they are not my favorite device, they are the most used given their portability. And despite the Pulse squonk bottle may look proprietary, aftermarket bottles do fit which I personally think is a huge plus for a squonker. Especially given the limited production life some of these devices have.

Yeah, I've developed a real aversion to proprietary bottles. I accept it on the Topside because of the unique filling method and the 10 ml capacity, and they come with an extra bottle with whole cartridge assembly, not just an extra piece of the silicone bottle alone.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I currently only have an Innokin Kroma-A mod, the Zenith MTL tank, and the Recurve RDA. For the RDA, I don't want complicated, which is why I decided to get the Recurve .. it was super easy to setup.

The desire for a 2nd mod is in case something happens to my Kroma, I have a backup and so I can switch back and forth from the Zenith and the Recurve if the mood struck.

From the limited experience I have I don't mind vaping DTL, its just something I wouldn't want to do full time.
That's perfectly fine ... my sideways jaunt was more of a thought for the future. Right now you want to get the most out of what you've got with a good second mod. I'll defer to the mod recommendations of the others in this thread at this point.

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
The Kroma A is very nice. You could get a second one as a backup to keep it simple. If you go with a replaceable rather than built in battery, you'll need to figure in the cost of decent batteries from a reliable vendor (not terrible $5-7 each, and for two battery mods should always remain paired so for a two battery mod I'd order 4, so you always have an extra set to swap in if you run them down) and an external charger. Those batteries should in general not be charged in the mod unless like an emergency of you're out and traveling.

The Smoant stuff is very good, I have their Cylon and am happy with it. The other already mentioned Proton from Innokin I also have and think it's one of the best 2 battery mods for the price out there with a great screen and really small size for a dual battery. For a squonk the Pulse as also already mentioned is very popular and runs on 1 battery which for a midrange build like a 0.4-5 ohm build will last you all day at reasonable wattage. It will also take a 20700 battery for a bit more run time. The Pulse 90w version will take a 21700 battery which are increasingly popular and is the later version but I believe uses the same internals.

The issue I have with the Kroma is that using an RDA seems to absolutely destroy the battery. I'm really leaning towards that Vaporesso Armour so far .. a lot of good reviews. I will probably pick up a VandyVape Pulse in the future if I start vaping DTL more often since its fairly inexpensive.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The issue I have with the Kroma is that using an RDA seems to absolutely destroy the battery. I'm really leaning towards that Vaporesso Armour so far .. a lot of good reviews. I will probably pick up a VandyVape Pulse in the future if I start vaping DTL more often since its fairly inexpensive.

The Pulse 80 is out of production….what you find now is all that is left. The Pulse 90 is probably not far off. But given Vandy Vape’s almost near Smok product release frequency, I am sure a new Pulse 90.5 or something along those lines is just around the corner.

I’ve tried the Armour in store, it is a slick little device. Default settings may drain the battery a little quicker than normal, but a few easy changes to the settings can correct this. Short discussion on it here.

Samsung 40T 21700 underperforming

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
The Pulse 80 is out of production….what you find now is all that is left. The Pulse 90 is probably not far off. But given Vandy Vape’s almost near Smok product release frequency, I am sure a new Pulse 90.5 or something along those lines is just around the corner.

I’ve tried the Armour in store, it is a slick little device. Default settings may drain the battery a little quicker than normal, but a few easy changes to the settings can correct this. Short discussion on it here.

Samsung 40T 21700 underperforming

Thank you, definitely appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread