Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'm interested in a VV mod that uses a potentiometer. I feel it's a more durable version of VV since the electronics are so simple. No screen, nothing fancy.

A potentiometer only uses Buck and not Boost to change voltage, as I understand it.

So, a one battery mod with a potentiometer like this - Hexohm Mini Styled 80W VV APV Box Mod would only be able to regulate down from 4.2V at most. But, that's plenty for me since I'm an extreme tootle puffer. It just wouldn't last very long because of the one battery.

Most mods with potentiometers seem to use 2 batteries. I wouldn't need the ability for higher voltage, but would appreciate the longer battery life.

So far, I got this - Hexohm 3.0 Styled 180W VV Box Mod. It works ok. But, the battery compartment is very, very tight. So, tight that I'm worried about messing up my batteries.

Mine is a HexOhm clone. I wonder how tight the battery compartment is in the authentic. It would take a while to save for it. But, I'm willing to do whatever I have to do in order to have something of this type that's durable and that doesn't have any problems (like the battery compartment).

I've also seen:
Tesla Invader 2/3
Tesla Invader 3
Smoant Charon Adjustable 218W VV
Hexohm V3 Styled 240W

And, I'm sure there must be more.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I have the Invader 3 (good), the Lotus LE80 (very good), the Zenith (very good), and the Noisy Cricket 2-25 (very good).

If it's simplicity you're after, the Invader 3. If it's battery life, the Zenith wins. The Lotus LE80 is very versatile, and the Noisy Cricket 2 even more so.

If you're afflicted with topperhangsoverophobia, skip the Invader as it only looks good with 22 mm. The rest will handle up to 24 mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
So far:
Tesla Invader 3 (good) - seems available enough
Lotus LE80 (very good) - only find it at one place in blue
Zenith (very good) - 3 batteries makes it a bit large
Noisy Cricket 2-25 (very good) - I like the look

No comments yet on:
Tesla Invader 2/3 - I like the looks of this one when using only 2 batteries
Smoant Charon Adjustable 218W VV - I really like the looks
Hexohm, whichever version of authentic

Not afflicted with topperhangsoverophobia. I may have one or two 23 mm at most.

I won't have the money for, at least, a few weeks. So, there's plenty of time for more suggestions. And, hopefully not enough time for them to be OOS!

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I'm interested in a VV mod that uses a potentiometer.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

I don't have any suggestions or recommendations, but the minute I saw "potentiometer", I felt the need for a shameless display of loveliness. :D

minxy witch 2.jpg

minxy3.jpg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I can't speak for the other mods you mentioned but I do have a Noisy Cricket 2-25 which I use everyday.

A potentiometer only uses Buck and not Boost to change voltage, as I understand it.

I'm not an electronics expert but that isn't how I understand VV mods work. A potentiometer is a variable resistor, so if that was the only component then it would be wastefully dumping the unused volts. From what I understand the pot controls circuitry that does pulse width modulation. PWM is essentially rapidly switching the power on an off at a given frequency, to produce a reduced net voltage within that time frame.
So say you have 6 volts for 1ms then no volts for 1ms, during a 100ms time period your net voltage would amount to nearly lossless 3 volts. This of course a gross over simplification. Have a read of the links I put below, maybe you can help me to understand it better.

Potentiometer - Wikipedia
Pulse-width modulation - Wikipedia

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Invader 2/3: I tend to avoid any mods, now, that use that battery in the door trick. Too many possible points of failure.

Smoant Charon 218: Rather large compared to some others, but no opinion otherwise...

Hexohm: Rather spendy when compared to some others... again, no other opinion...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
A few of them can be had for under $30.
b224601c950b44f4f69aeae44563ab89.jpg
66f1682abbbd18541986ca7fd7e5ede8.jpg
Where for that price?
Invader 2/3: I tend to avoid any mods, now, that use that battery in the door trick. Too many possible points of failure.
I wasn't thinking about that because I would just use the 2 battery configuration.
Shawn Hoefer said:
Smoant Charon 218: Rather large compared to some others, but no opinion otherwise...
This one: Authentic Smoant Charon Adjustable 218W VV APV Box Mod, not the big one.
Shawn Hoefer said:
Hexohm: Rather spendy when compared to some others... again, no other opinion...
Yes, it is. That's why I tried a clone first. I don't know. Maybe some clones are better than others?

johnnyelevator

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
long beach, ca
Agreed! I understand some don't have the budget for 2 mods. I'd recommended picking 1 or the other.
I also don't know how to deal with batteries for a more like this. How do you make sure your married batteries have the same life cycle and "wear and tear."

I never bought 1 because it's so boxy and spendy. I always thought vv mods would be cheaper as they don't utilize a complicated chip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have the Charon Adjustable and love it. Pairing with 25mm Nano and no overhang. It is heavy yet very comfortable to hold. Fire button is responsive and battery life is comparable to Therion. I've only used it with single coil rtas so can't tell you how it does with higher range for power. 36.00 from FT.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I have had a couple of the original Hexohm mods and currently have a V2, and neither gave me a problem tearing my battery wraps, though I'm not sure how they compare to the clones. As with many other mods - you just need to be careful, and the ribbon helps tremendously when removing the cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread