Modifications to atti's & other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Ever get an atti that you had to modify it in order to initially use it? I'm sure this has happened to some. In my case, I bought another nautilus 2 the other day. When I took it out of the box, the .7 coil was screwed in but I use the 1.8 coils. In order to get to the coil you need to remove the glass but in my case I twisted and pulled for about 3 minutes but the glass would not come off the rubber. Soon I realized that the only way could get this glass off is if I smash the glass. I took a can opener and smashed the glass, of course accidentally cutting myself. Then i put some e-liquid on the rubber and used the replacement glass. Now I understand why they give you the extra glass:)

My example is not such a modification but it is of some sort. Did you ever get an atti or anything vape related that you had to modify it in order to use it properly?

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
Ever get an atti that you had to modify it in order to initially use it? I'm sure this has happened to some. In my case, I bought another Nautilus 2 the other day. When I took it out of the box, the .7 coil was screwed in but I use the 1.8 coils. In order to get to the coil you need to remove the glass but in my case I twisted and pulled for about 3 minutes but the glass would not come off the rubber. Soon I realized that the only way could get this glass off is if I smash the glass. I took a can opener and smashed the glass, of course accidentally cutting myself. Then i put some e-liquid on the rubber and used the replacement glass. Now I understand why they give you the extra glass:)

My example is not such a modification but it is of some sort. Did you ever get an atti or anything vape related that you had to modify it in order to use it properly?
Most N2’s come stuck when new. Instead of breaking the glass, use a needle nose pliers to remove and replace the coil. After a few tankfuls a bit of juice will get down by the o ring. Then, to remove glass, don’t try to turn it off or unscrew it. Put slight back and forth pressure on it.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Ever get an atti that you had to modify it in order to initially use it?......

From 2012 through about 2015 I had to work on just about every atty. Boring air holes, widening juice channels, filing 510s, chasing sloppy or stripped threading etc.. Since around 2015 I've not had to modify any that I've bought, just boil them when new to remove any residual machine oil and they've been good to go. Of course it could be because I quit buying/using tanks and switched to drippers early on. No juice channels or vacuum problems to worry with. The RDTAs I've been using haven't needed any work either but again there's no juice channels or vacuum involved in their function. Airflow has improved so much over the last few years that it's no longer a concern for me, most attys have more than ample airflow and an adequate/effective means of controlling it.... Life's good :)

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Ever get an atti that you had to modify it in order to initially use it? I'm sure this has happened to some. In my case, I bought another Nautilus 2 the other day. When I took it out of the box, the .7 coil was screwed in but I use the 1.8 coils. In order to get to the coil you need to remove the glass but in my case I twisted and pulled for about 3 minutes but the glass would not come off the rubber. Soon I realized that the only way could get this glass off is if I smash the glass. I took a can opener and smashed the glass, of course accidentally cutting myself. Then i put some e-liquid on the rubber and used the replacement glass. Now I understand why they give you the extra glass:)

Alternatively, you could have soaked it or boiled it in some very hot water for about 10 minutes and it would have separated without having to break it. This happens to me from time to time with my Lemo 2 tanks - a hot water soak fixes it up in a jiffy.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Oh yeah I had do it regularly, like grinding the fluid channels bigger on those cheaply cloned Kayfuns etc etc...
I like tinkering and personalizing my vape goodies....:D

A Kayfun was my very first RTA, sure brings back some fond memories. I know what you mean about grinding the juice channels out, otherwise even tootlepuffing at low watts could result in burnt hits especially when enjoying juice with a high VG ratio. I also bored and polished the air inlet to lessen that annoying whistling noise Kayfuns made. I still have that Kayfun and the Astro mech mod it was paired with. Back then regulated mods couldn't handle more than around 15 watts of power, mechs were the -only- game in town for builds under 1 ohm.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
A Kayfun was my very first RTA, sure brings back some fond memories. I know what you mean about grinding the juice channels out,
What did you use to do the grinding in the channels? I used a tungsten burr. Not the best finish, but it got the job done.
The modification i'm most proud of must be the Kayfun V 2.1 in the first pic. Man I love the thing, but it used to drive me crazy. That silly non return valve just don't work with the refilling. I eventually sealed off the juice channel from the inside with a toothpick, and top filled it. Works most of the times, but not always. Still use it on the odd occasion today. Still love it to...!
Then there is my beloved Kayfun mini V3 in the second pic. It had way to much airflow with the 4 air channels, so I again sealed 3 off with toothpicks. Its still in my daily rotation today...:D
20180204_210713.jpg 20180204_210814.jpg

Last edited:

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
9 out of 10 of my Kennedy's has one of the air holes plugged with cotton and the coil is built sitting right over the open air hole. That's the way I like my Kennedy's. I have a suspicion Steve built them this way (with two separate tubes) in order to give them just a little bit of adjustability.

:?)

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I cheated and used a 1/16" nACo coated carbide bit in a milling machine. Although retired I still have access to various trades/crafts shops.
Man I wished so many times I still had my small diy machinery. When I emmigrated I sold it all. Can't get myself to pay for machining either. Ah well, mine looks ugly but it works...:eek:
My modification that had the biggest influence on me is this little Derringer I changed from a DL RDA to a MTL. I sealed off the 3 air holes with body filler and drilled a new 1.4mm hole. That set off a whole new perception for me about dripping. Previously I could never see myself as a "dripper".
20180205_105920.jpg

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Man I wished so many times I still had my small diy machinery. When I emmigrated I sold it all. Can't get myself to pay for machining either. Ah well, mine looks ugly but it works...:eek:
My modification that had the biggest influence on me is this little Derringer I changed from a DL RDA to a MTL. I sealed off the 3 air holes with body filler and drilled a new 1.4mm hole. That set off a whole new perception for me about dripping. Previously I could never see myself as a "dripper".
View attachment 717631

I have successfully used JB Weld to plug holes in few RDA,s. It has done fine with the heat and oil. One RDA I had just the right brass stock size to cut blanks and tap and then peen in. The early days of vaping were quite a challenge, and a lot of fun. But now I have everything figured out and pretty much know just what I like, so I basically just vape now. :?)

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I mainly use the Narda or the NarCA. Love em both...but they whistle. I can build and wick them so they don't whistle, but the flavor suffers a bit. Authentics and clones, I have both and they both have the same issue. It's such a simple fix with a drill or a Dremel, it makes you wonder why the consumer has to be the one to do it. $100 retail for an authentic and I have to take tools to it so it's not annoying? Seriously? I'm not for or necessarily against clones, but if I need to drill on them to make it a pleasurable vape, I'm going $15 clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread