moisture

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Most mods don't have conformal coating on the board or dust/water resistant buttons. So the answer is "not very".

If you're outside so much maybe the geekvape aegis/aegis legend mods would be interesting to you, they're water and shock resistant and can take a beating.

Cold however is a problem for batteries, they don't like that very much and performance will decrease with lower temperatures. How cold are we talking? 0°C? -20°C?

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
They were talking about batteries. Please stay ontopic :D

:eek: No idea what you're talking about.

My day job is to forecast demand and manage capacity for my employer. A big part of that is shrinkage. As temperatures drop we always see more shrinkage due to unscheduled absences. I.e. we have less capacity during the cold months.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Conformal coating is actually widely used throughout many electronics for it mitigates damaged caused by oils, dust and moisture during the manufacture and shipping process. However, it has to be implemented in a specific way in order to combat prolonged exposure to fluids. Looking at the few disassembled mods on da interwebz, you can see many employ conformal coating – but that does not make them water resistant.

As for a vaping device that can combat mother natures elements….don’t think you can get any better than what Geekvape provides. Aegis, Aegis Legend and now the new Aegis Mini which employs and internal battery if you are ok with that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
They were talking about batteries. Please stay ontopic :D
:eek: No idea what you're talking about.
I think that was @tailand 's attempt at making a joke. My mental picture was of a particular part of the male anatomy known to shrink during exposure to cold conditions. I could well be wrong, though.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I think that was @tailand 's attempt at making a joke. My mental picture was of a particular part of the male anatomy known to shrink during exposure to cold conditions. I could well be wrong, though.

lol .... you are more than likely correct

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 26, 2014
    Grand Junction, Co
    I have a mod that saw a winter outside in North and South Dakota while working construction. It's still around and working 4 years later. If you are super worried about it you could consider getting a couple of cheap pod systems or istick picos, at least then if something happens to it you can replace it easily. In construction things break, it's always better if that thing that breaks is cheap and easy to replace.

• Agree
    Reactions: Skwij

VapourFlavour

Moved On
    Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    As a Canadian I can confirm. There's definite shrinkage occurring at that temperature.
    As a Canadian you haven't learned to keep one of these in your briefs from Nov - March?

91vCZvxxp3L._SL1500_.jpg

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I'd be more concerned about having the mod freeze outside in one of our blustery Canadian winter days then bringing it inside to warm up then starts too condensate inside the mod..would kill a board real fast. The colder the temp the thicker juice becomes so juice flow will become a concern. Batts too will loose umph in colder temps so they kick "low power" into boards sooner.
    My first winter vaping was quite a eventfull learning experience..Began vaping in March and all summer inside the vehicle not knowing of the consequences later then winter came. I had that VG fog that never defrosts, only a slit on the bottom of the windshield. First thought was heater core croaked so it was a new vehicle so we went to dealer to find nothing wrong. Research then led me to the VG fog on all windows in car and house. 2nd event was taking a hit off a vape that sat half hour in -20C vehicle not thinking...massive dryhit then coughed up a lung so after I have never left a vape in the car.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2012
    Alaska
    I vape on the North Slope of Alaska, we see temps down to minus 40 or 50 F. The two biggest issues are batteries and metal drip tips freezing to your lips. Keep the mod inside a your coat near your body for warmth when not vaping and use delrin drips tips.

Dew point inside a mod could be an issue if you allow it to become extremely cold then take it inside where it is warm, let the temp stabilize once inside or better yet do not allow it to become that cold.

The other big issue is you cant inhale deeply at those extreme temps, lungs can not take the super cold air. I’ve tried, both as a smoker and a vaper.

Never had an issue with rain or mist but I don’t intentionally expose the mod to to moisture for extended periods of time either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread