moisture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
i think about -1 to -10 issue isnt snow its brutal cold winds,ill have a look at the aegis thank you

While loss of capacity is a pain, an even more serious problem could develop if batteries are charged while they're still too cold. I've forgotten the details, although they have something to do with electroplating the inside of the battery, a dangerous development making it prone to blow itself (and you) to kingdom come. Net result - always wait until your battery is warmed up to room temperature (or at least above 10 C) before charging.

On a less dramatic note, opting for a higher PG juice can help if your juice gets too sluggish to flow well.

ETA. I found it. Charging a battery below freezing can cause lithium to plate the anode.

Last edited:

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
While loss of capacity is a pain, an even more serious problem could develop if batteries are charged while they're still too cold. I've forgotten the details, although they have something to do with electroplating the inside of the battery, a dangerous development making it prone to blow itself (and you) to kingdom come. Net result - always wait until your battery is warmed up to room temperature (or at least above 10 C) before charging.

On a less dramatic note, opting for a higher PG juice can help if your juice gets too sluggish to flow well.

ETA. I found it. Charging a battery below freezing can cause lithium to plate the anode.
It’s a good rule of thumb to let all electronics warm up before using. Early VCRs and other electronics had a dew light, if the light was illuminated it meant the moisture content on the inside of the device was too high. I understood the issue, what I never understood was how the VCR was supposed to accumulate that level of condensation. WHo takes their VCR outside on a winter day, leaves it there, then takes it back into the warm house to watch a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread