More 510 Parts Or a different kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jexmex

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
jackson,mi
So here is my dilema...

I ordered a 510, and I like it other than the short battery time (which I dont have a major issue dealing with), and that fact that it seems I am always topping it off, and getting inconsistant hits.

I had wanted to get a pass through and a pcc, some extra batteries and and a extra atomizer for it, but I am wondering if i should consider another (similar priced) kit.

Any thoughts would be great, as I really like hearing from the experts here, hence why I am posting a million zillion questions!

fozzie

Aug 11, 2009
did you give your batteries 8 hours on the charger to break it in like it recommended in the instructions? i only use 2 batteries a day on my 510 with a manual switch and thats with hitting it almost constantly... i was smoking 1 and a half to 2 packs a day and if anything smoke more now that i dont have to go out in the heat to do it... and as for the kits its a personal choice just look at the prices and decide whats cheaper ...

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
I also hate the short battery life of the 510. Just use it for when you're travelling and get a USB powered set at home. Right now my setup is 510 while driving and 801 or 901 with USB power at home. I really hate having to charge all the time so I have my 510s charging at home and just vape the others. Also, I seem to use the 510 more like a real analog when Im out just because it gives a strong throat hit - so I guess you could view them as really being a better replacement for real cigs in that respect especially since you only really need to take a dozen or so hits with the 510 compared with more with the 801 or 901.
So here is my dilema...

I ordered a 510, and I like it other than the short battery time (which I dont have a major issue dealing with), and that fact that it seems I am always topping it off, and getting inconsistant hits.

I had wanted to get a pass through and a pcc, some extra batteries and and a extra atomizer for it, but I am wondering if i should consider another (similar priced) kit.

Any thoughts would be great, as I really like hearing from the experts here, hence why I am posting a million zillion questions!

jexmex

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
jackson,mi
did you give your batteries 8 hours on the charger to break it in like it recommended in the instructions? i only use 2 batteries a day on my 510 with a manual switch and thats with hitting it almost constantly... i was smoking 1 and a half to 2 packs a day and if anything smoke more now that i dont have to go out in the heat to do it... and as for the kits its a personal choice just look at the prices and decide whats cheaper ...
There is no need to allow charging of 8 hours, when the light is green, even on the first charge its ready. I did a bit of reading on it. There is a very good thread about batteries here some where.

Yosam

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Silicon Valley USA
I think you should do both. Rocky Mountain Vapor has the 901 basic kit for $23 shipped. I just ordered one to find out what all the fuss is about.

I have also invested in a passthrough and a mega battery from TW. The mega battery is AWESOME! Lasts more than twice as long but makes the PV a bit longer.

Good luck with whatever you decide

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
There is no need to allow charging of 8 hours, when the light is green, even on the first charge its ready. I did a bit of reading on it. There is a very good thread about batteries here some where.

Having also read the threads, I respectfully disagree. I have many, many batteries and chargers, of same and different models. They all act similarly.

A multi-meter will also show differently, if a reading is taken at battery discharge, red LED, initial green LED, 30 mins green, 1hr green, etc. The voltage climbs to a peak, though its normally well after initial green.. (IME) *Especially after a battery has aged, and undergone heavy usage/charge cycles..

Last edited:

jexmex

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
jackson,mi
Having also read the threads, I respectfully disagree. I have many, many batteries and chargers, of same and different models. They all act similarly.

A multi-meter will also show differently, if a reading is taken at battery discharge, red LED, initial green LED, 30 mins green, 1hr green, etc. The voltage climbs to a peak, though its normally well after initial green.. (IME)
Well based on basic principles of lithium ion batteries, when the charger shows green its COMPLETELY charged, and will not accept any more charge.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
So here is my dilema...

I may be wrong, but I think your asking if you should buy parts or another 510 kit. A second 510 kit is a great choice. That's what I did. The number one fear of any vaper is not having a functional e-cig. A second kit is a reasonalble price for a two more atimizers, two more batteries, and a spare charger. I keep the spare charger at work and the loose parts I keep in my laptop bag. It follows me everywhere so should an atomizer or battery die I have one on hand. I keep the spare charger at work.

I got a PCC, but don't use it very often. Everyone has differnt requirements. It's mainly for when I go out for a long period of time, which isn't that often. Or I run out know only one of my batteries is fully charged and the other is questionable. It's kind of comforting to know I have a battery charging in my pocket while I sit through a long movie or go shopping.

I recently replaced my 901 passthrough with a 510 passthrough. Great while just surfing the net and reading the forum. But I seriously need to make some half strength juice, because the 510 delivers the nicotine so much better then the 901 ever did. I could vape the with 901 for hours and then hit the 510 for my final nicotine hit. Now if I can only determine the best flavor for surfing...

If I've learned anything from the boards it's that you'll eventually buy everything. The real question is what order should you buy! Hope this helps with deciding which to go with first.

--Prof Daffy

jexmex

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
jackson,mi
I may be wrong, but I think your asking if you should buy parts or another 510 kit. A second 510 kit is a great choice. That's what I did. The number one fear of any vaper is not having a functional e-cig. A second kit is a reasonalble price for a two more atimizers, two more batteries, and a spare charger. I keep the spare charger at work and the loose parts I keep in my laptop bag. It follows me everywhere so should an atomizer or battery die I have one on hand. I keep the spare charger at work.

I got a PCC, but don't use it very often. Everyone has differnt requirements. It's mainly for when I go out for a long period of time, which isn't that often. Or I run out know only one of my batteries is fully charged and the other is questionable. It's kind of comforting to know I have a battery charging in my pocket while I sit through a long movie or go shopping.

I recently replaced my 901 passthrough with a 510 passthrough. Great while just surfing the net and reading the forum. But I seriously need to make some half strength juice, because the 510 delivers the nicotine so much better then the 901 ever did. I could vape the with 901 for hours and then hit the 510 for my final nicotine hit. Now if I can only determine the best flavor for surfing...

If I've learned anything from the boards it's that you'll eventually buy everything. The real question is what order should you buy! Hope this helps with deciding which to go with first.

--Prof Daffy
Thanks...

My biggest issue is I think I am doing something wrong, or maybe I just need more throat hit that I am not getting from the 510. I feel like I am always topping off, and only get good hits after a top off or a drip. Maybe I need a premium, I dont know, but I cannot afford a prodigy or similar mod atm.

I have not smoked a analog since 4pm yesterday, and that is not really a issue, I was a 2 pack a day smoker, and while I still have a urge, I have not even thought of going to by a pack. I just want it to be consistent, and like I said, maybe I am just doing something wrong.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Well based on basic principles of lithium ion batteries, when the charger shows green its COMPLETELY charged, and will not accept any more charge.

According to the two different multi's I own, tested repeatedly, that cannot be true. Or these are not "true" LI-ION batteries.

I believe one of our own forum members (Tone?) discovered the batteries in his device were NOT Lithium Ions, but a type of Lithium Polymer..

EDIT: OR the LED in the charging circuit is not triggering correctly and is somehow programmed that way.

I have eight 10440 batteries, two 10440 chargers (four counting two JS), six 14500, one 14500 charger, two 18650s, one charger. These are all "true" LI-ION, and at green LED they are truly at full capacity/charge. The multi's read these full every charge. The 'stock' E-Cig batteries just won't...

Last edited:

jexmex

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
jackson,mi
According to the two different multi's I own, tested repeatedly, that cannot be true. Or these are not "true" LI-ION batteries.

I believe one of our own forum members (Tone?) discovered the batteries in his device were NOT Lithium Ions, but a type of Lithium Polymer..
Well I was worried about it, and thats why I researched, and asked on the forums here. (Actually it came up on a post I made about waiting 8 hours for my e-cig to charge, which made me research).

If our batteries are not true lithium ion, then that a cause of concern regarding the regulation and trust in this industry.

I want to point out I am not trying to say your wrong, but rather my research has said otherwise, but thats all based on the batteries being true lithium ion, and if they are not, then a lot of people should be upset.

AVITWeb

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
New Jersey
Well I was worried about it, and thats why I researched, and asked on the forums here. (Actually it came up on a post I made about waiting 8 hours for my e-cig to charge, which made me research).

If our batteries are not true lithium ion, then that a cause of concern regarding the regulation and trust in this industry.

I want to point out I am not trying to say your wrong, but rather my research has said otherwise, but thats all based on the batteries being true lithium ion, and if they are not, then a lot of people should be upset.

From what i have seen they have not been billed as Lithium Ion...I have only seen Lithium....I would think they would be much more expensive if lithium ion!

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com

No worries Jex. I feel the same way. The LED issue has been a debate since the beginning of this Forum.

The discovery that (tone or fenez?) made, definitely proved that there ARE manufacturers making them with LI-PO batteries. :mad: How prevalent this is, or if it is still in practice, is hard to tell. Short of ripping open every battery casing..

Pop yours when theyre dead, and research the coding numbers. Thats the only way to tell to be sure. Careful, as the print on the actual battery cell wears off incredibly easy!

Liscab

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Miami fl.
Thanks...

My biggest issue is I think I am doing something wrong, or maybe I just need more throat hit that I am not getting from the 510. I feel like I am always topping off, and only get good hits after a top off or a drip. Maybe I need a premium, I dont know, but I cannot afford a prodigy or similar mod atm.

I have not smoked a analog since 4pm yesterday, and that is not really a issue, I was a 2 pack a day smoker, and while I still have a urge, I have not even thought of going to by a pack. I just want it to be consistent, and like I said, maybe I am just doing something wrong.
maybe you are trying to quick analogos too fast if you were or are a hard smoker like me, i have to take some low nic from time to time in a day and change some flavor just to cheat my taste (perhaps a little touch of mentol helps), then go back to high nic an the plasure is back, and keep on atmy for the high nic and another to play with flavors

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Thanks...

IME with the 510, topping frequently is fairly normal. Not ideal, but normal for that model. The straw mod helps a small bit, but its fairly inevitable.

Have you considered modding your own 6v device? If your concerned a bit more with performance than aesthetics, give it a shot. Some come out excellently styled! Theres some great tutorials on here that will walk you through every step of construction. Majority costing significantly less than the kit, passthrough and PCC you were considering, or a prebuilt 6v mod.

V10Beast

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2009
California
Different atty's give differing perrformances. I have a box load of atty's that still work (like 15 of them in 1.5 months). I only like to mess with the good ones and have tossed some in my "spares" box until I feel like cleaning them (I've cleaned 2 with soda/hot water to no avail).

Basically, 1 atty can give nice consistent hits while another new one can give great vapor with no hit and yet another great throat hit, wimpy vapor. Tolerances for these atty's are pretty loose. Basically, try your spare or get another kit from a different retailer. I went thru the 15 ruyan atty's in 1.5 months. Trying the healthcabin one now (on day 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread