More volts better than more watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JahLove7124

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
CA
Still trying to completely wrap my head around volts vs watts. In these examples, what's the difference in vape experience?

#1-1.2 ohm single coil, at 20 watts (4.9 volts), 4.08 amps.
#2-0.6 ohm dual coil, at 30 watts (4.24 volts), 7.08 amps.

Is #1 going to be "better" because the volts are higher even thought the wattage is lower?

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
seeing as watts = power, if the power is kept the same i.e. 30W , and wire gauge was changed accordingly to keep the same "heat zone"

1.2 ohms at 6 volts - 5amps
.6 ohms at 4.24 - 7.07 amps

only thing that changes, besides the wire gauge, and ohms, is the amp draw. higher amps will drain a battery faster.

personaly i prefer to build a "higher ohm" coil and appy more volts, then to just lower the ohms.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Still trying to completely wrap my head around volts vs watts. In these examples, what's the difference in vape experience?

Is #1 going to be "better" because the volts are higher even thought the wattage is lower?

B-that part I get. But I still wasn't sure if higher volts, lower watts, was going to give a "better" vape over lower volts, higher watts.

:2c:

I don’t know enuff about electric to theorize, but here’s the best I got...

does your soup taste better on the stove cooked with GAS or ELECTRIC…

as long as you get to the spot YOU want,
it doesn’t matter which (watts or volts) was applied to get you there…
in your example, the END is way different - 7A is MUCH hotter than 4A

I know NOW, from experience I like appx 2.1 Amps (my sweet spot)
so that puts me @ 1.8Ω/8w (wife likes 2.6A, so I build her 1.4Ω/3.7v)

so for me, I use/pay attention to the Amps setting to reach the goal I LIKE
- Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator

it takes an ABSOLUTE combo of all four parameters to achieve temp
watts ▄ volts ▄ amps ▄ ohms – if you push one, all the others make up the difference
it’s the law (Ohms Law) :D

always amazed me that ONLY a ‘point” (.1) makes such a difference

hope that didn't confuse you

:)

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama

The quality of the vape really has more to do with heat flux, heat capacity, and the surface area of the coil. You can blow clouds with a 2 ohm coil if you have the airflow and enough voltage to push the wattage. The reason everyone builds subohm is because our batteries are 3.7v nominal and thus it's easier to just build low resistance than it is to build a high resistance (which needs a lot of volts in order to get the same wattage). Most regulated mods cannot go high enough in voltage to push enough watts to a high resistance build. Not to mention mech mods cannot regulate, so you are forced to build low on those.

But I am not sure how to say "one is better" than the other. It will just depend on how hot the coil gets, how fast it heats up, and what atty you are using (among other things).

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You are asking for an absolute and Power alone cannot give you that answer.
Every aspect of the build, personal preference, e-liquid choice, all have an effect on the outcome.

Also #2 is only 15w per coil less heat than #1 @ 20w, but more vaporizing capability,......or not, depending on coil builds.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The quality of the vape really has more to do with heat flux, heat capacity, and the surface area of the coil. You can blow clouds with a 2 ohm coil if you have the airflow and enough voltage to push the wattage. The reason everyone builds subohm is because our batteries are 3.7v nominal and thus it's easier to just build low resistance than it is to build a high resistance (which needs a lot of volts in order to get the same wattage). Most regulated mods cannot go high enough in voltage to push enough watts to a high resistance build. Not to mention mech mods cannot regulate, so you are forced to build low on those.

But I am not sure how to say "one is better" than the other. It will just depend on how hot the coil gets, how fast it heats up, and what atty you are using (among other things).

JC_goodpost.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread