Watts verse Temperature - Amp changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxon

Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Henderson, Nv
I have noticed that in Temperature mode I use a lot more Amps then when in Temperature mode.

Example:
Temperature Mode
Volts: 4.66
Ohms: 0.25
Amps: 18.64
Watts: 86.86

Watt Mode
Volts: 2.96
Ohms: 0.25
Amps: 11.83
Watts: 35

Also, the Volts are much higher in Temperature Mode. And the strange thing I've noticed is that in Watt mode it hits harder using fewer Amps and Volts.

Can anyone explain why Temperature mode uses more Amps, Watts, and Volts then in Wattage mode?

((My setup: iPV5 (Yihi chip) (Dual batteries) Single coil rba (Merlin))
(( In Temp control Joules set to 75 ))((Temp set to 420 Deg F))

Reactions: stols001

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
watt mode is set up to deliver a set voltage or power consistantly, temp mode has a feature to hit hard to bring the coil to temp and then "throttles" the voltage on and off ( hi/lo) to keep the temp at where it should be... this on and off pulsing uses more voltage to keep the average voltage where it needs to be.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Try setting both modes to the same power level and try again. Of course volts and amps are different when watts are different (and ohms are the same), congrats you just partially learned Ohm's Law.

If it's hitting better in watts mode, the power is set too high in TC and it's spending too much time in protection. Try 10-15% higher than in watts or the same power you could set it to if you always vaped consistently with your hardest and shortest puffs.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    TC is tricky... as a MTL vaper I use puny wattages as a ramp up, and low temperatures. Haven't noticed a great deal of difference in battery life, but it sounds like you are pushing your watt/temp settings too high, you don't HAVE to go up to the maximum safe temperature, and it may not be the vape you are looking for in any case.... I was surprised at what I preferred my temp settings to be... :)

Anna

Lexxon

Verified Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Henderson, Nv
    watt mode is set up to deliver a set voltage or power consistantly, temp mode has a feature to hit hard to bring the coil to temp and then "throttles" the voltage on and off ( hi/lo) to keep the temp at where it should be... this on and off pulsing uses more voltage to keep the average voltage where it needs to be.

Thank you very much for that explanation. Most appreciated.

Lexxon

Verified Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Henderson, Nv
    TC is tricky... as a MTL vaper I use puny wattages as a ramp up, and low temperatures. Haven't noticed a great deal of difference in battery life, but it sounds like you are pushing your watt/temp settings too high, you don't HAVE to go up to the maximum safe temperature, and it may not be the vape you are looking for in any case.... I was surprised at what I preferred my temp settings to be... :)

Anna

I was a MTL vapor for about 4 years but now I enjoy strictly lung vaping. Once in a while I do MTL on an old atomizer, but mostly lung vaping. MTL vaping I'll use a max of 5 ml of ejuice, but with lung vaping I use around 15 ml to 20 ml a day. 12mg Nic for MTL and 3mg Nic for lung vaping.

Lexxon

Verified Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Henderson, Nv
    Try setting both modes to the same power level and try again. Of course volts and amps are different when watts are different (and ohms are the same), congrats you just partially learned Ohm's Law.

If it's hitting better in watts mode, the power is set too high in TC and it's spending too much time in protection. Try 10-15% higher than in watts or the same power you could set it to if you always vaped consistently with your hardest and shortest puffs.

I did what you said and it works just fine. Not as much vapor but close. Much smoother vape. Thank you for your ideas. Most appreciated.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    With TC best to set wattage to close or a little above the wattage you would use for Power mode. Otherwise the mod will be continually off and on the power. When the power is turned off to protect temp it is restarted at the wattage set on the mod for tc. A waste and causing more on and off

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    Tend to agree: set the watts in TC mode close to where you would normally vape, and set it up for "hard" start to get the wire up to temp. In TC mode, the watts setting is more like a speed limit than anything else; it won't exceed that value. But given the way the mod pulses, the average watts applied to the coil may well be lower than in watts mode, even at the same setting.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 25, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    same here. I try to get the preheat in sync with the temperature chosen. The vape stays nice and constant rather than a fast hit then the mod slams the brakes. I find that vape unsatisfying. I also agree that the preheat wattage is usually only off give or take 5 watts from what you would vape in power mode.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread