Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
A mosfet allows you to use a lower amp rated fire switch. Higher amp rated DC switches are hard to find and are usually big. The fire switch activates the mosfet, the current then passes through the mosfet not the fire switch. Most don't consider a mosfet mod a true mechanical.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
If your mod is not a direct to battery, solid metal switch, direct to ground, no wire mod, it's a non-regulated mod.
A "mech" mod has no wires, may have a contact bar, requires no soldering and uses what ever power is in the battery. No buffers, no VV, no VW, No TC..

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
If your mod is not a direct to battery, solid metal switch, direct to ground, no wire mod, it's a non-regulated mod.
A "mech" mod has no wires, may have a contact bar, requires no soldering and uses what ever power is in the battery. No buffers, no VV, no VW, No TC..
That's why I asked. I didn't understand why people were talking about using a mosfet in a mech. Didn't make sense.

Now, I want to know if a mosfet is what they used to use with all the older non-VV mods that just had a momentary switch.

Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
We didn't use them in the older mods, back when everything was 1.8 and up ohms. Going lower, 1.5 and down a mosfet was needed to counter the amps going through the momentary switches, which (while never happening to me) allowed too much arc inside the switches, causing fusing of the contacts... run away mods...

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
So, that's why all the problems with the old mods not being able to handle those first dual coil carto tanks? Without a mosfet they couldn't go down to 1.5 ohms.

So, those old ones were just plain, direct wires?

Yes, some of the early side button mods were a momentary switch with wiring (a few were true mechanical). The switches and/or wiring were not able to handle the current (amps) when we started using lower resistance. Most all regulated mods use mosfets, even the egos have tiny mosfets (typically what goes bad on them).

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Thank you! I've been wondering about this for a long time. (I just finally came up with a coherent enough question AND in a place where there are people who can give me a coherent answer!)

While I'm at it, I have another related question: Is there any way to tell which of my old momentary switch mods have a mosfet/can handle lower resistance (without just using them and seeing if lower resistance makes them fry)?

SupplyDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you! I've been wondering about this for a long time. (I just finally came up with a coherent enough question AND in a place where there are people who can give me a coherent answer!)

While I'm at it, I have another related question: Is there any way to tell which of my old momentary switch mods have a mosfet/can handle lower resistance (without just using them and seeing if lower resistance makes them fry)?

Open them up. A mosfet is noticeable. A largish blob in the wiring or a block.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Open them up. A mosfet is noticeable. A largish blob in the wiring or a block.
Good to know. But, unfortunately, there's normally a white disk holding all the wires/hiding the wires inside the head/top section of the mod.

I don't need to know badly enough to start taking things apart and probably messing them up.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I think this is all of them. The In-Betweens, not mech and not variable.

Silver Bullet
Baby Bullet
Screwdriver by Trog
Bolt v1 and v2
Indulgence
RoughStack
Blue Lightning
Smoktech Telescope
Paladin
GLV
Aspire CF Mod
Vision Slip
plastic box mod from Mad Vapes
Gripper
Tuglyfe Tugboat

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I found an old text file from back in the pre-VV days, with notes on which mods can handle dual coil and which can only handle single coil. At this point, I was into dual-coil carto-tanks.

I would assume that the ones that would handle dual coils must be using a mosfet, maybe?

Mad Vapes Box Mod - SC
Gripper - SC
Rough Stack - SC
Smok Bolt - Dual-coil
Blue Lightning - SC
Indulgence - Dual-coil
Rough Stack - Dual-coil
Smoktek Telescope - Dual-coil
Paladin - SC

I don't know where I got this information, probably from their advertisements, or from just asking around. Obviously, I didn't have all of the mods yet. This was a long, long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread