Most flavor of any build I've ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Got a Black and Decker drill today. Finally.

First go? Triple Twisted 26g dual coil. Absolutely amazing. Took 7 tries but made a strand of Clapton. 32 wrapped around 26.
The TT26g I did holds as much juice as the cotton it seems like, have not felt dry once yet, and switching between a caramel to a raspbery sucker to strawberries and cream is instant and 100% full profile. Within seconds. Forget the wraps, came to about .26, at 110 watts I haven't breached 20amps.

Question about this strand of clap. There's enough for a dual coil if I am careful and dont waste it, as I said, 32 around 26, thing is, I've never used 2 different gauges, what would 32>26 do ohm wise via wraps? If replies come by math, know I flunked math, and it needs simplifying.

ce178d49c431abf904564b87450e7cd8.jpg
b6ea77cb3650182a41ce4b87be72b01d.jpg

9dade5bb6f8cc2f70f8eec26a0ffbbec.jpg

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

McAnythingReally

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2015
Albany, NY
General Rule of thumb when it comes to Clapton wire is that the resistance will generally be based off the core wire. So say you do 6 wraps at 2.5mm- it will ohm out to about .9 per coil, so roughly .45 on a dual coil setup.
Coil wrapping <-- This is a great tool to play around with, along with their wire wizard. Helps you to get a good idea of what youll be looking at. Just keep in mind like I said, the outer wrap(32G) wont impact resistance. Your resistance is based off the core wire.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Yesterday I took. 2 strands of wire, twisted 26 (only 2 in it) and 22g. Twisted them into a single wire. Non clapton, but twisted. 22 and 26g twisted (2). What happened was really enjoyable. I am wondering now, what is the point of actual clapton over twisted. Whether two different gauges or two different types of wire are built in clapton, why not twist them instead? It would register as a single wire, and heat accordingly, why then do people place unregistered wire outside a readable core? I'm thinking of twisting 22, 26, and 32 into a single twisted wire now as I am typing this.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
As i understand it the point of claptons is increased surface area and allowing the coil to pull in more juice from the wick due to all the channels produced by the wrap wire

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
For example the fact that it isn't 100% tight? Juice gets inside the outer wrap and is trapped between the core and outer?

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
I have noticed that when most people do Clapton's, the outer coil is a thin gauge, does that have to be? Does the inner core have to be a thin gauge as well, or can it be a thick such as 22? If the outer gauge does not matter and I can use a thick inner core, can I do something like a.22 or to base the Ohms on wrapped with 26, and 32 on top of the 26?

JRocks

Jul 16, 2015
I don't fully undrstand why but apparently the resistance will be no higher than the lowest resistance piece of wire I believe it has something to do we the power finding the easiest route to travel.
For example my serpent currently has a 24g core wrapped in 32g coming in at around .5
Which is about the same as a plain 24g coil.

JRocks

Jul 16, 2015
I would suggest starting with something like 24g or 22g wrapped in 32g. Smallest wrap wire i have uses is 37g but it gets much harder anyone who wraps claptons with 40g and higher I salute you must be like using babys hair lol
Get on youtube and watch grim greens fused clapton video using fishing swivels, easiest method i found just hand twisted a loop to attach the single core to the swivel

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
I don't fully undrstand why but apparently the resistance will be no higher than the lowest resistance piece of wire I believe it has something to do we the power finding the easiest route to travel.
For example my serpent currently has a 24g core wrapped in 32g coming in at around .5
Which is about the same as a plain 24g coil.

So what you're saying is even if I use two different gauges and twist them instead of claptonizing they will still follow the lowest gauge? Not meld into one? Thank you for your patience. I've wrapped a single clapton so far a week or so ago and it didn't surprise me, however using this drill I've done very many feet of different types of twisted and each one is a one off of amazing, which is why i am trying to learn more whether clapton is worth it or not, which takes understanding how they work.

JRocks

Jul 16, 2015
Not sure how it works just twisting different gauges together i normally do it wrap a coil and if the resistance is ok give it a go not scientific but it works. Flavour on claptons is great they are prone to spitting but heard recently slightly looser wick can help but not tried it. The only other issue i found was a dual clapton I built at 3mm id 6 wraps again 24g wrapped in 32g but tried it on a parallel mosfet box and at 4.2v there just wasn't the power to heat up that much wire and the ramp up was just too long may try it again when i get round to building a series mod or dna 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread