Motorola Razr charger to charge your PCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2009
Tennessee
I thought I would share some information I found out last night. I left the USB cord to my PCC charger at work last night and my PCC ran out of power. I noticed that the part the charger plugs into resembled a Motorola Razr charger so I thought I would give it a try. I took my extra battery out and just charged the pcc as a precaution. It worked. I didn't leave it on for long but the Razr charger worked. I know the Razr was a popular phone at one time so I am sure a lot of people may have an old phone with the charger laying around. I just thought I would share what I learned in the event you are desperate to charge your PCC like I was.

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
I thought I would share some information I found out last night. I left the USB cord to my PCC charger at work last night and my PCC ran out of power. I noticed that the part the charger plugs into resembled a Motorola Razr charger so I thought I would give it a try. I took my extra battery out and just charged the pcc as a precaution. It worked. I didn't leave it on for long but the Razr charger worked. I know the Razr was a popular phone at one time so I am sure a lot of people may have an old phone with the charger laying around. I just thought I would share what I learned in the event you are desperate to charge your PCC like I was.
WOW thanks :thumb::thumb::thumb: very nice to know that

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
I have a bunch of usb to barrel-plug cables, USB wall warts, and usb car adapters that I have been using with no problems to charge my PCC. USB has a rather standardized output at 5v or so and usually 500 or 1000ma, so in general it should work, but it's always worth double checking.

I'd rather end up with a dead battery and being unable to charge it because my equipment isn't compatible then end up risking killing a battery and leaving me unable to vape until I get a new one.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I use my Razr car charger as a PT for my Janty Stick while driving.
That may be a little different. The JS is made to run/charge off a USB port. The JS is just looking for a power source. A USB port is not a charger, but a regulated power supply. The JS itself will further regulate the voltage (should be 4.2V for Li-ons) and the mAs it's battery needs and know when to stop.

When I look at my Motorola 'charger' with the mini USB all I see and all it claims to be is an AC POWER SUPPLY that outputs 5V @ 550mA. Hard to tell if it's regulated though. By that I mean if you grab a typical wall wart and actually check the voltage they all seem to output at about 12V, regardless if they say 4V, 6V, 9V whatever.

An actual charger is a power supply + the necessary circuits to determine the correct mAs and voltage (no more than 4.2V for Li-ons), and when to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread