Status
Not open for further replies.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
The Ohm reader is handy because you can not only build your coil right there on it but you can check the Ohms while tinkering with the coil/wires. Then check it when you think you're done and if okay, then you're good to go.

But...what would make for a hot vape with little vapor? Too little cotton?

Last edited:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
The Ohm reader is handy because you can not only build your coil right there on it but you can check the Ohms while tinkering with the coil/wires. Then check it when you think you're done and if okay, then you're good to go.

But...what would make for a hot vape with little vapor? Too little cotton?

Bad wicking, too little airflow, high PG content... hard to say without seeing the set-up. :)

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Bad wicking, too little airflow, high PG content... hard to say without seeing the set-up. :)

I've got a good amount of cotton on the floor but not under the coils. My juice is 80/20 pg/vg. I added a little VG but it didn't seem to help. I think I could get good vapor if I could stand the heat. I think I'll try putting a little thicker cotton thru the coils.

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
This thread has scared me off mechanical mods haha

It shouldnt scare you off... but starting right off with mech mods, and wanting to build your own coils, is a bit foolhardy.

You can start with a mech, but you gotta educate yourself a bit first... if you are going to play in the low ohm world with it.

CptJYossarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've got a good amount of cotton on the floor but not under the coils. My juice is 80/20 pg/vg. I added a little VG but it didn't seem to help. I think I could get good vapor if I could stand the heat. I think I'll try putting a little thicker cotton thru the coils.

For clouds, you want a MINIMUM of 50/50. 20 VG is really low. That's the lowest I've seen actually. The throat hit must be insane on that haha. I personally make all my juices 80/20 VG/PG, and 60/40 for my tanks.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
For clouds, you want a MINIMUM of 50/50. 20 VG is really low. That's the lowest I've seen actually. The throat hit must be insane on that haha. I personally make all my juices 80/20 VG/PG, and 60/40 for my tanks.

My pulmonologist said to stay away from VG...it's too oily. So I 'try' by cutting it down a lot. And I could actually breathe better when I wasn't using it at all.... :unsure:

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Me too! And I've been thinking about getting a Reo but I've held off as I'm unsure about safety... I think I'll stick with my provari & mvp.
You just have to be vigilant. Many people use mechs with no issues, but you should be mindful of what you are doing and the consequences of not being mindful.

LupinIII

Verified Member
Aug 3, 2014
Mid-Atlantic USA
A lot of the veterans here have chimed in with good advice. Keep safety first and foremost in your mind and I do not think you will have any issues starting off with a mechanical mod, especially given your occupation.

From a new guy's perspective, I was aware of e-cigarettes and this whole community but remained on the fence until only recently. It is good that you are doing research first before diving in. I took a different route and impulsively purchased a mechanical mod as my first setup having no knowledge of ohms, atomizers, coils, or anything really. It was a great deal on a rare, authentic mod and I could not help myself.

Reading tons here and watching lots of Youtube videos before building my first coils, I am about a week into it with things going quite smoothly *knock on wood*. I use the lock ring every time I am putting the mod down and monitor my batteries religiously. All in all it is not as complicated as it seems looking from the outside in. Just take your time.

Also, do a lot of shopping and take your time before choosing the mod itself. Quality is important but so are aesthetics.There are many many beautiful designs on the market now and you would be doing yourself a disservice by going with anything that you do not absolutely love the looks of. Keep in mind this is something you may use everyday so you might as well take some pride in it.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Me too! And I've been thinking about getting a Reo but I've held off as I'm unsure about safety... I think I'll stick with my provari & mvp.

You can run a Reo with a cartomizer before you pull the trigger on a bottom fed rebuildable. I've never used a carto on mine myself, but I've used the Reomizer 2 which is a tight draw similar to that of a protank or other clearomizers except with 1000x the flavor and nicotine delivery.

Personally I use a modified Trident V2 at .32 ohms with 12 mg/nic. Runs about 40.5 watts I believe. Not sure if I stated this already, but it's a really nice vape. Almost too intense at .32, I prefer the .4 range on that device specifically

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread