RDA Mutation X builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Mutation X V2 that I've been loving. I know a lot of people don't like the proprietary triangle head screws, but I love them. They don't strip or back out. I'm good at keeping track of small stuff.

That being said, I'm trying to get max flavor out of this thing. I've gotten pretty good flavor so far, trying a dual parallel, twisted 28 dual, plain old micro coils between 1.4 mm to 2.4 mm ID. Twisted 26 duals were a little big. I've done horzontal and angled coils. Singles and duals. All kanthal A-1.

I feel like this could taste better. I'm not afraid to build it hot, and it sits on a sigelei 100w, so I have plenty of power to work with. I tend to vape high VG juices that like heat.

With this in mind, can anyone reccomend me a build for flavor and clouds, leaning more toward flavor? I've only got 26 awg kanthal a-1 on hand, but I could pick up a few feet of whatever kanthal (my vape shops suck, they won't have ni or anything) would be best.

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, I can't get any decent flavor out of my Mutation. I am also rocking it with my Sigelei and from running it under multiple builds, I can tell you that I wasn't able to find any good flavor out of it. The best I could do was a Dual Parallel 26 gauge kanthal and just close it off to the last row of airholes but even at that its still too airy for flavor to reach my buds. It definitely chucks tho, I'll tell you that much but from my experience of having it, I feel like thats all its good for.

jeffreyace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
minnesota
Heh, same combo as me. My sweet spot for flavor is a single parallel 26ga 6 wrap on a 2mm bit, ohms out to around .37 with about half of the airflow open. Still lots of vapor but so much more flavor for me. I also have tried all the builds you said but I also did macro coils which were to no applause. The thing csn chuck though.

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
I think a single coil build gives out the best flavor on this rda, closing off one side of air holes really does help. Maybe I'm bias in this aspect, I do prefer single coil builds in general. I just did a single parallel 27ga 8 wrap on a 2mm bit that came out to 0.55 ohm. Have the air holes in front of the coil completely open and the opposite side completely closed (i.e. single coil mode). Best combination of flavor, air flow and vapor production so far on this thing. I've gotten good flavor off of a single tiger coil as well as a single twisted 28ga build, but I had to close the air flow off more to get better flavor. Since the parallel coil is so ridiculously long (an 8 wrap parallel looks like a 16 wrap single) I can have the air holes in front of the coil wide open without it feeling too airy. I think I'm going to try a single parallel build using twisted 30ga wire to see if I can amp the flavor up even more.
I actually have both a v2 and v3 and I noticed that the draw/air flow is tighter on the v3 using the same AF setting, I think this is because the top cap/AF adjustment fits more snug and it seals the closed off air holes tighter (this is a good thing IMO and probably for most others as well, the v2 was a little too airy). My parallel build is actually on my v2 deck but I vape it with the v3 top cap and barrel on it because I like the draw/air flow better.
Has anyone tried that glass cap on the MX? I'm thinking about getting since I have a v2 and v3. Interesting concept, haven't been able to find much info about it's perfomance.

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I've got a Mutation X V2 that I've been loving. I know a lot of people don't like the proprietary triangle head screws, but I love them. They don't strip or back out. I'm good at keeping track of small stuff.

That being said, I'm trying to get max flavor out of this thing. I've gotten pretty good flavor so far, trying a dual parallel, twisted 28 dual, plain old micro coils between 1.4 mm to 2.4 mm ID. Twisted 26 duals were a little big. I've done horzontal and angled coils. Singles and duals. All kanthal A-1.

I feel like this could taste better. I'm not afraid to build it hot, and it sits on a Sigelei 100w, so I have plenty of power to work with. I tend to vape high VG juices that like heat.

With this in mind, can anyone reccomend me a build for flavor and clouds, leaning more toward flavor? I've only got 26 awg kanthal a-1 on hand, but I could pick up a few feet of whatever kanthal (my vape shops suck, they won't have ni or anything) would be best.

Thanks in advance!

i used to get good flavor out of single coil twisted 26g at 0.5ohms, but I think it was mostly due to me restricting the air flow to 1 hole on each side (not sure if you can do that with the authentic mutation x V2). the mutation X's I have have the vertical top cap airhole blockers, so i can restrict it to 1 hole on each side. The best flavor you are gona get is prob restricting a lot of airflow, the huge airflows in the cloud chasing attys just add to much air and mutes alot of the flavor.

Lateralus819

Aug 13, 2014
New York
Im quite surprised with the flavor out of the mutation. I have the first version i believe. Been doing a clapton coil dual and it is pretty stellar. 26 gauge inner and 30 or 32 outer wire.

Even a triple twisted 28 gauge gives great flavor. I usually use about 3 air holes on each side. Set to roughly 60 watts. Id say the flavor is close to my hobo.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
This RDA has always been problematic for me in terms of flavor and density of vape. It's either to airy, the vape is very light (despite producing bigger cloud), or absolutely no flavor. I've tried a handful of different builds in it and I finally found one that works well. Its warm without being hot, flavorful considering the airflow, and still kicking out solid clouds. It's a .25 dual coil twisted parallel with 30 gauge wire, around a 2.7 drill bit. I wanted to do it with parallel twisted 28's but the resistance would probably get a bit to low for my comfort zone, but on a regulated device, I'd probably try it. This atty has sat on the shelf for months and now it's back in rotation.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I feel the same about this atomizer being very airy. The wide bore tip and the airflow wide open doesn't feel a bit restricted. I've been closing off the airflow a lot, either one and half out of three sets of holes closed, or two sets closed off. I have my coils sitting at the bottom of the air intake. If it's anymore open than I usually set it to there's not much density to the vape. I have two 24 gauge coils with a 3mm diameter, 8 wraps each, and it reads ~0.38. I vape it 50+ watts. I got this atomizer because I thought what the hell, might as well try different things, but as others said, it's pretty much made to be used for vapor production. I can easily get a denser vape with a single coil in my quasar. I still use it a lot, I like the vape off it, but it's a different vape.

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
Did a .6 ohm build in the v3 single parallel coil using twisted 30ga 8 wraps 2.4mm diameter last night. Flavor wise it's about the same as the parallel single coil I did with 27ga, very good but not great (the vapor is a bit bigger and denser). Looks like I'm in the same boat as everybody else, love the air flow and vapor production I get off this atty but no matter what build I do, I find myself wanting more in the flavor department.

BluzKing

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Just built my new Mutation X V3...dual parallels twisted 30g, four wraps each firing at .1 ohms at 75 watts on a Sigelei 150. This thing rocks! Great, dense vapor and great flavor as well, running airflow wide open. Burns a lot of juice, but this is my favorite atty right now. Deep, deep juice well too, no leaks so far if I'm careful dripping.

Last edited:

Zazoie

Jan 21, 2015
Hoth
i used to get good flavor out of single coil twisted 26g at 0.5ohms, but I think it was mostly due to me restricting the air flow

^^^^^ this

I went down to one coil and restricted the airflow on my mutation x v2 and that is where I got the best flavor but I honestly wouldn't mess with it anymore :p get a diffy atty for flavor...mut is for clouds mostly...flavor is hard to nail on this

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
After letting it break in for a day, I take back what I said about my single parallel twisted 30 ga build, flavor is better than good, it's great. I have only six air holes (two rows) open and I'm getting good airflow and a nice comfortable draw. I have to say, I love the stock delrin drip tip. Wider than a standard 510 but not as huge as a chuff style tip and it doesn't get hot at all.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
Here's the deal... I like to fiddle. I cant leave things alone. Like a lot of folks here on ECF I'm trying tensioned coils. I'm focusing specifically on tension twisted coils for now, and am enjoying and learning a lot. Today I learned that no matter how good your coils looks before the install... the post screws are your enemy with twisted wire! They can destroy that beauty in an instant.

So, here's what I was shooting for via Steam Engine:
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

So, yes I was going for a double coil. I'm finding consistency to be difficult when trying for duals. I've made all the classic mistakes including; losing count and having one coil longer by a wrap, putting too much tension on wire and snapping it, and today After getting one coil in and secured, I snapped a leg on #2 when securing it!
I also noticed that when I tightened the legs on coil #1 that the tightening action also distorted the end coil on the right in this photo.

ZtTbeJG.jpg

I was trying my best to keep the coils centered for the most symmetrical drape of the wick. I also shoot for horizontal coils and not angled as these posts will try and do to you as you tighten!

Here's after preheating coils, threading KGD, and trimming.
ri5pIZ1.jpg

I tucked the rest in gently so it touches and spreads out over the floor of the drip base.
QuxLkVo.jpg

One other goal was to get height of coil lined up with, or just beneath the air inlet on the Trinity pyrex cap I like on my MutX V3.
XHIqAt0.jpg

It was .9 ohm before wicking and wetting, now showing 1ohm. Incredible flavor at 20W! Also even though its a higher resistance coil than many of you are using, and double what I was shooting for, it is producing some very nice dense flavor packed plumes!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread