RDA Mutation X v2 weak vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Without doing enough research first, I picked up a Mutation X v2 as my first rda. I've been using RTA's for a couple months now, so I'm familiar with all sorts of coil building and wicking. But every time I set up my Mutation X v2, I end up with a super hot, very little vapor vape. Running dual 24g, 3mm diameter for .22 ohms together, wicked with Japanese cotton. But no matter what wattage I run it at or how many or few air holes are uncovered, I'm still getting a really hot, wispy vape. My 50/50 juice is not perfect for an rda but it produces columns of vapor out of my Lemo and my Fogger v4, so any suggestions of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Joe

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I think it has something to do with the way the air flow is set up in the Mutation X v2. I have one as well, and I always found it very airy regardless of the build and airflow set up. This is coming from someone who likes a fairly loose draw. A friend of mine who likes to go much deeper in subohm territory then I do says the atty doesn't really start to shine until you build in the <0.20 range. Since that is lower then my batteries can comfortably handle (except my sony's), I've kinda shelved the Mutation in favor of other atty's right now (Big Block, Freakshow, Vulcan with airflow sleeve, plume, etc). I recently ordered the glass cap for the mutation X v2 with the single 3 mm holes to see if that improves things for me. I'll report back once I have it in hand and set up with a basic dual 24 gauge.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
i usually run 0.5-1.0ohm at 30watts and always get a good vape out of my mutationx v2. but like the others i run minimal airflow, 3 on each side. Im not one for supersubohm builds as I see no need for them, but ive found if you run dual coil builds with many wraps and tend to overflow the deep juice wells in the mutation , you just drown the coils in juice and wont get much vapor. perhaps you are just overwicking/drowning your coils? they do need air to breath, and if there are too much wicking.juice around the coils, the vapor has to room to exit.

als if your running a 0.22coil i hope u have a 100w+ mod with good battery. cuz lower would be insufficient

Last edited:

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
I think the problem is you are using thick wire with a huge diameter and building it at a very low resistance, all of these things equate to a slower heating response, you probably would need 50-100 watts just to get it firing, maybe more to get it the flavor/response you want. What type of builds were you doing it your rtas? Keep in mind that a dripper in general is going to be a warmer, airier vape compared to a tank. That build sounds a little over the top in my opinion, I would try a different build with a higher resistance. I also got the mutation x v2 for my first rda a few weeks, I have a single coil build in there reading at 1.2ohm and I'm happy with it.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've tried a number of builds in it, running on a Sigelei 100w Box. I picked up a Hobo RDA and having a much better time with it, so eventually I'll try the mutation again with your suggestions and what I've learned from the Hobo. When I do try it, I think I'll try higher resistance with thinner wire.

Thanks for the input!

-Treeburner

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I've tried a number of builds in it, running on a Sigelei 100w Box. I picked up a Hobo RDA and having a much better time with it, so eventually I'll try the mutation again with your suggestions and what I've learned from the Hobo. When I do try it, I think I'll try higher resistance with thinner wire.

Thanks for the input!

-Treeburner

shouldnt really be that huge of a difference :confused: if it works on the hobo just take the coil out of the hobo and put it on the mutation, keep it at the same wattage and it should vape the same more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread