Status
Not open for further replies.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Hello, world!

I had tried searching around the web and these forums for a comparison between these two, but cannot find anything available.

I am looking to upgrade from my SmokTech SID, and have been considering both mods in the title. I'm getting a bit stuck on making a final decision as there are some similarities and differences between these two, and they both have their individual benefits and drawbacks. I am hoping to gain some more opinions here, and see if it may make pulling the trigger easier.

Similarities:
  • Internal battery
  • Attractive design
  • Variable Wattage (not much of a VV vaper anymore)
  • Standard USB cable for charging
  • Can be used as pass-through; vaping while charging

MVP V2
Benefits:
  • Great combination of affordability and features
  • Larger 2600 mAh battery
  • Sleek design, less out of place in "formal" settings
  • Ability to recharge phone or other device via USB out
Drawbacks:
  • Maximum of 11W (I currently enjoy my SID at 12.0W)
  • Wonky (cheap?) display and controls

DNA20 NES Mod
Benefits:
  • IT'S A FREAKING NES CONTROLLER
  • Hand assembled in the USA
  • OLED display with more useful information
  • Battery level on display
  • Better support for low resistance, high wattage, etc.
Drawbacks:
  • 1000 mAh battery (currently using 3400 mAh 18650's)
  • Higher Cost
  • Waiting time

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
The NES controller clearly wins in style points, but the low battery life and the fact that it can't be replaced would be the killer for me.

If the mod maker had a low cost battery replacement program, then I might be a little bit more inclined, but since it is a custom mod, who knows if they will still be around when you need to replace the battery.

On the other hand, the MVP 2 has a much larger battery and can be had for under 50 bucks. Thus if it's gone, you can replace immediately.

There are tons of wraps available to customize the MVP. The MVP does not have a wonky display or controls. They are pretty self explanatory. You have a button dedicated for voltage adjustment and one for wattage adjustment. Can't get much easier.

Also the 2600 mAh battery means you can go twice as long between charges which will lengthen the effective life of your battery.

So over all, for me it's the MVP 2 for the win....My two MVP's will shortly be sporting their R2D2 and C3PO wraps...

taki1203

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
NorCal
:D get one if you want one but it's not all that practical as an all day set up. I still love mine though!
2013-12-23%2008.41.44.jpg

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
taki, You have to mark your post [NSFW] when you're posting vape pr0n ;)

Well, I am at a computer 10 hours a day for work, so the USB charger and pass-through may make the low mAh a non issue. Also, DNA20.

I may or may not have put myself on the waiting list for the NES DNA20. Three months will feel like eternity, but it's quicker than waiting till next Christmas! I will still hold onto my SID and the Panny 18650's for any time where I may be AFK for an extended period.

taki1203

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
NorCal
taki, You have to mark your post [NSFW] when you're posting vape pr0n ;)

Well, I am at a computer 10 hours a day for work, so the USB charger and pass-through may make the low mAh a non issue. Also, DNA20.

I may or may not have put myself on the waiting list for the NES DNA20. Three months will feel like eternity, but it's quicker than waiting till next Christmas! I will still hold onto my SID and the Panny 18650's for any time where I may be AFK for an extended period.

Sorry for missing the NSFW tag! Honestly it was a nostalgia AND mod purchase for me. I carry my Reo and Turtleship (plus extra batteries) daily and the NES only comes out on special occasions/events or at home. I'm learned I'm a mech guy at heart but the nostalgia factor keeps it in my rotation. Also, have not had any problems with it so far.

JoeDerty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Carrollton, Georgia, United States
Hello, world!

I had tried searching around the web and these forums for a comparison between these two, but cannot find anything available.

I am looking to upgrade from my SmokTech SID, and have been considering both mods in the title. I'm getting a bit stuck on making a final decision as there are some similarities and differences between these two, and they both have their individual benefits and drawbacks. I am hoping to gain some more opinions here, and see if it may make pulling the trigger easier.

Similarities:
  • Internal battery
  • Attractive design
  • Variable Wattage (not much of a VV vaper anymore)
  • Standard USB cable for charging
  • Can be used as pass-through; vaping while charging

MVP V2
Benefits:
  • Great combination of affordability and features
  • Larger 2600 mAh battery
  • Sleek design, less out of place in "formal" settings
  • Ability to recharge phone or other device via USB out
Drawbacks:
  • Maximum of 11W (I currently enjoy my SID at 12.0W)
  • Wonky (cheap?) display and controls

DNA20 NES Mod
Benefits:
  • IT'S A FREAKING NES CONTROLLER
  • Hand assembled in the USA
  • OLED display with more useful information
  • Battery level on display
  • Better support for low resistance, high wattage, etc.
Drawbacks:
  • 1000 mAh battery (currently using 3400 mAh 18650's)
  • Higher Cost
  • Waiting time

the DNA hits so much harder!!! plus there now putting a DNA 30 in the NES now!

TheGirlfriend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2012
Plano TX
Boyfriend's favorite vape-thing is the DNA20, but I would agree that the 1000 mah battery is problematic. After using it for a couple weeks, putting it down, and then vaping it constantly for the last three weeks, that battery is dead, dead, dead and has now reached zombie status where it might work for a couple of hours after charging for 24 hours.

He opened it up, and the battery isn't that hard to replace--it does require some soldering though. Seriously-- there's plans on reddit on how to make this for $75, but the problem is that the turnigy battery is back-ordered from Hobby King-- plus there's the whole convenience thing, and also supporting small business. So, if variable wattage is your thing-- go for the DNA20 (or upcoming 30) but put yourself on the waiting list for multiples of the 1000 mah battery and have them on hand if you're handy with a soldering tool.

Optimo114

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
Jacksonville FL
I've had my eye on one for quite sometime now. It is a novelty item and nothing more for any vaper / gamer.

I will probably own one at some point but it's not an all day device.

If you have the budget for the nes mod, I would recommend a better quality device if you need an all day device. If you have one already then get the nes mod

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread