Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I have been cleaning & dry cleaning 2 Joye 510 attys all along but something has finally gone wrong.

After the last 2 dry burns first time the vapor production dropped a lot, and now they seem to have stopped wicking altogether. The coil still gets plenty hot, and there's a cart full of liquid there... but next to no vapor production. Any idea what's going on here? Did I finally burn off the atty wick? I've blown out liquid, but very little is coming out so it doesn't appear the coils are over saturated.

Don't get me wrong - they have had a long life as far as attys go. One of then I started using the 4th of July weekend, the other about mid-August. I was just wondering what happened and if it's still possible to resurrect them. Hot coil - no vapee. :(

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
Rick, maybe the problem here is that your cartridges aren't delivering the liquid as they should. A lot of people use the dripping technique (drip 2-3 drops of liquid directly onto the atty bridge - the mesh bit) then simply vape that because the standard 510s are pretty notorious for this.

I think it would definitely be worth you trying this just to establish if that's what is causing the vapour failure, if you get a few decent puffs after doing that then that's what is going wrong. I use 901s a lot 'cos I prefer them for flavour and definitely have had some carts that just don't release the liquid very well - it just sits there in the filler, maybe you got some like that?

Though it does sound as if those atties have given you pretty good service and I'd say they don't owe you anything if they have given up the ghost after that much use. Nothing lasts forever, after all - specially not atties!!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Rick, maybe the problem here is that your cartridges aren't delivering the liquid as they should. A lot of people use the dripping technique (drip 2-3 drops of liquid directly onto the atty bridge - the mesh bit) then simply vape that because the standard 510s are pretty notorious for this.

I think it would definitely be worth you trying this just to establish if that's what is causing the vapour failure, if you get a few decent puffs after doing that then that's what is going wrong. I use 901s a lot 'cos I prefer them for flavour and definitely have had some carts that just don't release the liquid very well - it just sits there in the filler, maybe you got some like that?

Though it does sound as if those atties have given you pretty good service and I'd say they don't owe you anything if they have given up the ghost after that much use. Nothing lasts forever, after all - specially not atties!!

Thank you for the reply.

These are Joye 510 attys - they have that square-ish metal bridge.

Yeah, one of the things I did try was direct dripping onto the bridge - they just aren't producing vapor. Not enough to bother with.

I asked my vendor and her take on this is: Despite the cleaning and dry burning you can reach a point where the wicking material is just crusted. In effect, it's just in the way now and that's why direct dripping didn't work either. As to my question about whether I burnt off the wicking she said the wicking material can't burn.

I'm going to de-bridge one just for the learning experience - to see what the wicking material looks like. You can't remove the wicking from a Joye 510 atty so de-bridging is the only use for them now. After that it's onto direct dripping for that one! First I may try going through my potions and elixirs: Soaking in Coke, repeated baking soda and vinegar attempts, to see if I can get the crud off the wicking material. Just experiments now.

You're right - I have no complaints about life span. I'm just technically curious about what happened. And I do know they would have never lasted this long without dry burns. Before dry burning I could get an atty to work for 8 weeks - tops - before the coil popped. Hey! My coils are still working. :)

As my vendor says "Dry burning an atty might kill it in the process. Not dry burning an atty at all will definitely kill it."

RudestBuddhist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Rochester, NY
I just wanted to hop in and say thanks! I had some old attys lying around and wanted to try dripping. Alls I got was flooding and a horrid burning taste. I boiled them for 15 mins and followed the exact instructions. Now I'm dripping on a freshly cleaned and debridged atty and it's wonderful!

fjg123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2011
Riverside, CA
i tried a method very similar to this that was on the general maintenance page where you use baking soda and vinegar to push liquid through the atty to clean it. The first time it worked great, but the second time...I did everything like that method said, but i also added the water part of this method, where you blow water out the atty by filling the barrel. It seemed okay, but i think i dislodged the wick because now everytime i get a horrible burning taste, its been dried and refilled with 50/50 PG to VG and still burnt taste.

I think if you blow too hard you can dislodge the wick. anyone want to confirm??

MrGiggly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
UK
Really glad I stumbled upon this thread before I shelled out for an ultrasonic cleaner. Following the original instructions to the letter, 20 minutes later I had 3 de-bridged atties running just like new again. I now understand the importance of dry burning coils to remove the gunk. Awesome technique, thanks for the great advice.

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
Really glad I stumbled upon this thread before I shelled out for an ultrasonic cleaner. Following the original instructions to the letter, 20 minutes later I had 3 de-bridged atties running just like new again. I now understand the importance of dry burning coils to remove the gunk. Awesome technique, thanks for the great advice.

I like to also use a needle to scrape the ash off the coils after a nice burn... makes sure its perfectly clean... its a must for some stickier juices that dont come completely clean : )

MrGiggly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
UK
I like to also use a needle to scrape the ash off the coils after a nice burn... makes sure its perfectly clean... its a must for some stickier juices that dont come completely clean : )

I'm using toothpicks to give em a scrape. Bobba's B seems to be gunking them up more than my home brewed juice but I would expect that as its pretty dark and sticky :)

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
I'm using toothpicks to give em a scrape. Bobba's B seems to be gunking them up more than my home brewed juice but I would expect that as its pretty dark and sticky :)

Bobas is definitely one the dirtier/stickier/darker juices in my collection... using a toothpick is a good idea, might get rid of the funk without damaging the coils like a pin could. I started doing this because I found that rinsing alone won't get some of the ashy residue off of the coils...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread