my background check

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzak

Apr 26, 2015
New Zealand
hello people, this is my first ever post, I've been vaping for about a year, for the first 9 or so months I used a cigalike. To me it was a life saver, smokes in my country rise 10% per year, its the governments way eradicating the "filthy habit", its also a way to put the cost of cigarettes out of reach of the average New Zealander. From my experience, I have not seen it work, everyone I know is still smoking tobacco and taylees(factory made cigarettes, rothmans, benson and hedges etc). The rise in the price of tobacco and cigarettes have also caused a boom in the trade of illegally obtained tobacco products, (tobacco is grown for commercial purposes in sunny Nelson) its just a matter of greasing the palms of an unscrupulous grower, and you have a bale of raw tobacco, which is then onsold to consumers for about half the price by weight to people like me. I was still smoking regular cigarettes while smoking the cigalike, because the cigalike has such a small capacity, also while working, the battery would run out, so I had to resort to ciggies. I thought to myself, there has to be a better way to get my fix. One day I was watching the news, and lo and behold, a magical looking device was being touted as new socially acceptable way of getting your nicotine fix. So I dove right in and brought an evod and some eliquid from somewhere on the other side of the world, I vaped that thing for about a month, to me, it didn't quite hit the spot, it looked a bit too feminine, sort of like a pocket dildo for the discerning business woman. However I was struck by the fact that coils can be rebuilt, and e-liquid can be customised to your particular taste, so I delved right in, finding every bit of knowledge about the subject that I could, soon I discovered mods, I had found the holy grail, so I brought my first regulated mod and a couple of cool looking atties, I had to import nicotine from the states, but now I'm set up to supply myself with enough nic for 3 months (its only legal for an individual to import a 3 month supply of nicotine and possess 15 months of nicotine at one time, in New Zealand). I am happy with my regulated mod, however, being a bit of a person who like to tinker, I just purchased a mechanical mod, and the various components to go with it, it hasn't arrived in the mail yet, and I am quite excited, I already own an rba, and have all the necessary tools to build coils and rewick my rba. I look forward to being able to sub ohm, don't worry, I have absorbed every bit of available knowledge on the subject, and have an understanding of all the risks involved with mechanical mods, all that being said, I would like to thank all the people at this forum for sharing their wealth of knowledge, it has been informative and highly educational, I love the hobby aspect of electronic cigarettes, I won't lie, in the last two months, I have probably spent more on tools, e-cig components and e-liquid components, than I spent on cigarettes for the last year and a half, I am fully addicted to the hobby aspect of ecigs, chur bro

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
hello people, this is my first ever post, I've been vaping for about a year, for the first 9 or so months I used a cigalike. To me it was a life saver, smokes in my country rise 10% per year, its the governments way eradicating the "filthy habit", its also a way to put the cost of cigarettes out of reach of the average New Zealander. From my experience, I have not seen it work, everyone I know is still smoking tobacco and taylees(factory made cigarettes, rothmans, benson and hedges etc). The rise in the price of tobacco and cigarettes have also caused a boom in the trade of illegally obtained tobacco products, (tobacco is grown for commercial purposes in sunny Nelson) its just a matter of greasing the palms of an unscrupulous grower, and you have a bale of raw tobacco, which is then onsold to consumers for about half the price by weight to people like me. I was still smoking regular cigarettes while smoking the cigalike, because the cigalike has such a small capacity, also while working, the battery would run out, so I had to resort to ciggies. I thought to myself, there has to be a better way to get my fix. One day I was watching the news, and lo and behold, a magical looking device was being touted as new socially acceptable way of getting your nicotine fix. So I dove right in and brought an evod and some eliquid from somewhere on the other side of the world, I vaped that thing for about a month, to me, it didn't quite hit the spot, it looked a bit too feminine, sort of like a pocket dildo for the discerning business woman. However I was struck by the fact that coils can be rebuilt, and e-liquid can be customised to your particular taste, so I delved right in, finding every bit of knowledge about the subject that I could, soon I discovered mods, I had found the holy grail, so I brought my first regulated mod and a couple of cool looking atties, I had to import nicotine from the states, but now I'm set up to supply myself with enough nic for 3 months (its only legal for an individual to import a 3 month supply of nicotine and possess 15 months of nicotine at one time, in New Zealand). I am happy with my regulated mod, however, being a bit of a person who like to tinker, I just purchased a mechanical mod, and the various components to go with it, it hasn't arrived in the mail yet, and I am quite excited, I already own an rba, and have all the necessary tools to build coils and rewick my rba. I look forward to being able to sub ohm, don't worry, I have absorbed every bit of available knowledge on the subject, and have an understanding of all the risks involved with mechanical mods, all that being said, I would like to thank all the people at this forum for sharing their wealth of knowledge, it has been informative and highly educational, I love the hobby aspect of electronic cigarettes, I won't lie, in the last two months, I have probably spent more on tools, e-cig components and e-liquid components, than I spent on cigarettes for the last year and a half, I am fully addicted to the hobby aspect of ecigs, chur bro

welcome nzak! Your backstory sounds very similar to mine. Cigalike to start curbing the lung darts. bought the evod and really liked it but soon found out it wasn't enough. A few months later I'm looking at a huge juice box, more than a handful of mechs, a couple regulated PVs, rbas, many rdas and all types of supplies for building coils. It is certainly an activity for hobbyists! What APV are you using? What mech did you choose?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @nzak. Glad to have you here!:)

Make sure you get some good safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with a high CDR. The below example uses a 20A battery. I'll quote @tj99959 as this is the practice I follow with regards to headroom.

tj99959;15309639 said:
Everyone is free to set their own parameters, and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A batteries, that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a .4 ohm build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, your 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

Below is my standard post for someone new to mechanicals and/or rebuildables. You may already know a lot of this but it's a great refresher.
==============

If you are new to mech mods and/or rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with @Baditude (one of our resident battery/safety experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditude's Blog - Table of Contents: The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

Inexpensive Mechanical Mod/RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Welcome Nzak. Like the lilwhiteclouder said... yours sounds a bit like my story as well. I, (takes a puff off my mechanical mod) have already delved into the mechanical side. :)

I am curious though.. what constitutes a 3 month supply and how did they come up with that amount?

Here in the states, vaping has a big black cloud hanging over it's shoulder. IT seems they are thinking Ecigs will lead to underage smoking, and more smoking in general. They are trying to tax it like cigarettes, and ban anything that doesn't resemble a cigarette.. All this going on when the truth seems to state the opposite. I'm sure in NZ, they have similar plans. I would get the knowlege in, and start rebuilding while you can.

Anyways, what gear do you have already besides the cigalikes? Have you tried a dripper yet?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
HI nzak and welcome to the forum. You might try looking here for more info :Australia - New Zealand Forum | E-Cigarette Forum It will take 5 posts and then waiting till half past the hour for the forum to reset before you can post there. Replies and saying hello in other threads count towards the 5. Good luck in your vape journey.

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
hello people, this is my first ever post, I've been vaping for about a year, for the first 9 or so months I used a cigalike. To me it was a life saver, smokes in my country rise 10% per year, its the governments way eradicating the "filthy habit", its also a way to put the cost of cigarettes out of reach of the average New Zealander.

They don't want to eradicate it they want you and others like you to fund their habit off of your habit. They don't care about your health...its never been about your health. They know that analogs are very addictive and very difficult to quit and they know that you will pay any amount to support your habit. You are addicted to cigs...they are addicted to your money. Both are very evil IMHO.

Edit - If they were trying to eradicate it they would ban them not tax them. Hence why they are trying to ban Vape everywhere.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
viannen_01.gif

Welcome!​

pJYvGY3.gif

nzak

Apr 26, 2015
New Zealand
welcome nzak! Your backstory sounds very similar to mine. Cigalike to start curbing the lung darts. bought the evod and really liked it but soon found out it wasn't enough. A few months later I'm looking at a huge juice box, more than a handful of mechs, a couple regulated PVs, rbas, many rdas and all types of supplies for building coils. It is certainly an activity for hobbyists! What APV are you using? What mech did you choose?
hi, I brought an eleaf i-stick 20watt, however it sort of lacks the power to really fire up my aga t7, even though I'm running a 1.5 ohm setup, it works fine with the genni tank, and I'm guessing, other micro coil style atties, I put an atomic drip tip on the genni tank, from mad vapes, and now I don't mind using it in public, the mod I have gone for is the "Panzer" clone from fasttech, I've heard nothing but bad things about it, however I believe it can be tweeked, plus I like the look of it, to me, it reminds me of Luke Skywalkers' light sabre. I wish I had discovered fasttech before I started this jouney, their prices are awesome. I also like their "Ra" mod, its emblazoned with occult symbolism, and the "zombie" because it has a cool looking skull on the switch. I know their knockoffs, but I'm ok with that.

nzak

Apr 26, 2015
New Zealand
Hello and welcome to the forum @nzak. Glad to have you here!:)

Make sure you get some good safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with a high CDR. The below example uses a 20A battery. I'll quote @tj99959 as this is the practice I follow with regards to headroom.

Below is my standard post for someone new to mechanicals and/or rebuildables. You may already know a lot of this but it's a great refresher.
==============

If you are new to mech mods and/or rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with @Baditude (one of our resident battery/safety experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditude's Blog - Table of Contents: The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

Inexpensive Mechanical Mod/RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics
Yep, I studied this material, the information is awesome, thanks. I'm a bit worried though, I purchased e fest purple 25's because they seemed to be the best available at the time, awg's were all sold out. we don't have much choice in New Zealand, I think the vape shops here import asian knockoffs.

Reactions: Susan~S

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I brought an eleaf i-stick 20watt, however it sort of lacks the power to really fire up my aga t7, even though I'm running a 1.5 ohm setup
Running a 1.5Ω coil on a mech mod will only give you 11.76 watts on a fully charged battery. So if you thought your iStick 20 watt lacked power you are going to be sadly disappointed running this same coil on a mech mod.

I purchased e fest purple 25's because they seemed to be the best available at the time, awg's were all sold out. we
As long as you recognize it is a 20A CDR battery it will work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude

nzak

Apr 26, 2015
New Zealand
Welcome Nzak. Like the lilwhiteclouder said... yours sounds a bit like my story as well. I, (takes a puff off my mechanical mod) have already delved into the mechanical side. :)

I am curious though.. what constitutes a 3 month supply and how did they come up with that amount?

Here in the states, vaping has a big black cloud hanging over it's shoulder. IT seems they are thinking Ecigs will lead to underage smoking, and more smoking in general. They are trying to tax it like cigarettes, and ban anything that doesn't resemble a cigarette.. All this going on when the truth seems to state the opposite. I'm sure in NZ, they have similar plans. I would get the knowlege in, and start rebuilding while you can.

Anyways, what gear do you have already besides the cigalikes? Have you tried a dripper yet?
3 months supply is a bit of a hit and miss affair, the guidelines are set by medsafe, NZs' governing body of all things drug related, however there is no specified amount, I had to guesstimate the amount I vape per day, times it by 90 and then plug that sum into an appropriate sized bottle of nicotine base, I came up with 250ml of 48% nic, which gives me just over 90 days worth. Medsafe doesn't state any amount(I see a beautifully formed loophole, for the time being). I think what's really going on in the states, is that big tobacco wants its share of the market, and if they don't get it, they'll legislate against any competition, the NZ government dropped its proposed plain packaging of cigarettes, due to pending lawsuits from the states,(hahaaha, take that you little pimple on the ....... of the world. NZ:0 big tobacco:1) As for gear, I've got an eleaf istick 20 watt, 3 kangers and a UD aga t7, plus about a years supply of organic japanese cotton and kanthal and 40cm of silica wick ........um yeah the usual array of e liquid ingredients and volumetric measuring tools, and the basics needed to rebuild coils, I'd like to try this rayon that everyone's going on about. I haven't tried dripping, most vape gear here costs twice as much as what you guys pay in the states and about 5 times the asian market, I like the convenience of tank systems, in that you don't have to keep on feeding it.

nzak

Apr 26, 2015
New Zealand
Running a 1.5Ω coil on a mech mod will only give you 11.76 watts on a fully charged battery. So if you thought your iStick 20 watt lacked power you are going to be sadly disappointed running this same coil on a mech mod.

As long as you recognize it is a 20A CDR battery it will work well.
I won't be running the same coils on the mech mod, I couldn't run sub ohms on the regulated mod.

Reactions: Susan~S

nzak

Apr 26, 2015
New Zealand

nzak

Apr 26, 2015
New Zealand
They don't want to eradicate it they want you and others like you to fund their habit off of your habit. They don't care about your health...its never been about your health. They know that analogs are very addictive and very difficult to quit and they know that you will pay any amount to support your habit. You are addicted to cigs...they are addicted to your money. Both are very evil IMHO.

Edit - If they were trying to eradicate it they would ban them not tax them. Hence why they are trying to ban Vape everywhere.
I hear that

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
3 months supply is a bit of a hit and miss affair, the guidelines are set by medsafe, NZs' governing body of all things drug related, however there is no specified amount, I had to guesstimate the amount I vape per day, times it by 90 and then plug that sum into an appropriate sized bottle of nicotine base, I came up with 250ml of 48% nic, which gives me just over 90 days worth. Medsafe doesn't state any amount(I see a beautifully formed loophole, for the time being). I think what's really going on in the states, is that big tobacco wants its share of the market, and if they don't get it, they'll legislate against any competition, the NZ government dropped its proposed plain packaging of cigarettes, due to pending lawsuits from the states,(hahaaha, take that you little pimple on the ******* of the world. NZ:0 big tobacco:1) As for gear, I've got an eleaf istick 20 watt, 3 kangers and a UD aga t7, plus about a years supply of organic japanese cotton and kanthal and 40cm of silica wick ........um yeah the usual array of e liquid ingredients and volumetric measuring tools, and the basics needed to rebuild coils, I'd like to try this rayon that everyone's going on about. I haven't tried dripping, most vape gear here costs twice as much as what you guys pay in the states and about 5 times the asian market, I like the convenience of tank systems, in that you don't have to keep on feeding it.

Yea, I can definitely see a loophole. :)

I saw you found Fasttech... I am a fasttech junkie myself. Just read the reviews and make your decision on the reviews... You'll find things a lot easier that way.

As far as dripping, I say give it a try. It's good to have a decent dripper just to play around with. Just know the batteries and such.

If you got this panzer,you should be ok. Just try to get some conductive loctite to go with it.. Sometimes the screws turn on their own during use, so a bit of loctite might help.. or a bit of tinkering. Another decent one from FT is this Nemesis mod. It's a bit longer, but is highly versatile. I've had no problem with mine, but I'd get a 10pk of magnets to go with it.

A good beginning dripper, IMO, is either the Tugboat, or Derringer dripper. (I linked the page that has my reviews on it). Both have deep enough juice wells, decent airflow, and a big thing for me, is phillips head screws. I don't use a dripper as often as most, as I prefer a tank like you do.

As far as my preference on tanks.. my go-to tank has been the Fogger V4. There may be other tanks out there, but I don't have the $$$ to try them all. This one, although tricky to build with trapping the wire under the screw heads, has been a grab and go atomizer.

And yes, I say you definitely need to upgrade to a higher wattage device. The only thing I can recommend, is get a dual battery design. I've been hearing a lot of the single battery designs have a slight lag, which can be annoying. I use a cloupor mini that has one battery, and I feel it has to warm up on my kanger subtank.. but still, it's a good "to go" type since my dual battery sigeli 100 is a bit too large to pocket even though it doesn't need any sort of warmup time.

Links are for reference so you know what I'm talking about. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread