My boiled cotton balls > What have I done wrong? (pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I just boil a few extra whenever I get a hankerin for some cotton ball soup, then I hang them on the clothes line outside to dry, using some molded paperclips I sterilized previously while I was cleaning the instruments for my next brain surgery. If you plan well you can kill multiple birds with one stone. Oh, you said "sterile" cotton balls, no, I don't do anything to those.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
I never boil mine. just use them like they are.. call me crazy.. lol

PS> I do blow off vapor from the hits the first few minutes without taking them into my lungs to get rid of that cotton taste that happens from a new wick.

You're not crazy, you're sane .. I don't boil my cotton, and if you are buying 100% sterile cotton, there is no need to boil it :blink: ... Now, if you're tearing the tips off of old q-tips, or you found an old opened bag of cotton in your garage, then ok .. otherwise, boiling cotton is ummm ... un poco loco :laugh:

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I boil..
once so far.
Next time I will unroll them before I boil them to avoid the big mess.
I squeeze them between the ball of my hand left hand and the palm of my right to get all the moisture out I can.
Then I wrapped them in a paper towel and set them in front of the desk fan to dry over night.

hth

dripdaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I do mine cuz it tastes nasty if I don't...

I agree! There was another thread like this a couple of months ago and the reason given by some for boiling the organic and sterile cotton was to remove the hydrogen peroxide residue from the bleaching process. It seemed a little OCD to me.

I'm not sure what causes the funky taste that I notice(imagination?) but the boiling and drying in the microwave is so quick and easy, the reason is almost irrelevant.

lexalove

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Ampthill, Bedfordshire, UK
I agree with the above...
I boil only because I find the flavour is enhanced and I use organic cotton, boil in a saucepan and leave the balls to dry out naturally over a couple of days in an airing cupboard. Half a bag of organic cotten has lasted me 6 months so far and I've used only about 1% of it so far.

Sterile means free of bacteria but it may still contain chemicals from the bleaching process which may not be harmful but may affect the flavour.

After boiling it doesn't matter what they look like because your going to pull the fibres apart to make the wick anyway.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Its wild how so many do not taste it.

If no boil its there, everyone has different taste buds
I hate fishy fish I cannot perceive how people eat most fish i do enjoy whiting and finally tilapia but almost everything else ewww
Shark is so nasty I tried ripping my tongue out lol

yeah we all are different so you guys must be aliens who cannot taste it, it is funky tasting. lol

^Top-Shelf^

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
Central Illinois
Its wild how so many do not taste it.

If no boil its there, everyone has different taste buds
I hate fishy fish I cannot perceive how people eat most fish i do enjoy whiting and finally tilapia but almost everything else ewww
Shark is so nasty I tried ripping my tongue out lol

yeah we all are different so you guys must be aliens who cannot taste it, it is funky tasting. lol

I guess you've never had my bluegill or crappie fillets seasoned in Andy's lol. Anywho back to the cotton soup ;)

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
I'm so glad this thread came up. I've felt like an unclean heathen for the last couple of months for NOT boiling my cotton balls. Appears I am not alone! ;) Just seems like a waste of time unless you are going to boil it in distilled water, and I wasn't going to.

No, you are not alone ... ECF is filled with heathens :laugh: The one thing I will do though is wash my hands before handling the cotton, and place the cotton that I am using on a clean surface. I am a bit obsessive about immediately resealing the bag after I remove, and/or replace a piece of cotton into the bag.

I don't feel like I get any cottony taste, or hydrogen peroxide from cotton, but I have rolled a piece without washing my hands first, and it was nastay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread