My CVS Pure Glycerin doesn't say USP on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh201

Nov 4, 2014
USA
I am very interested in making my own e-liquid so I've been spending a while researching and I've found that many people buy Pure Glycerin USP from CVS. I went into CVS and they had only 1 bottle left so I bought it, however it doesn't say USP on it.

The only thing I can find online about it not saying USP is something like they now buy it in bulk and repackage it themselves.

Even on the CVS website they show only 1 version of Pure Glycerin and the picture shows USP on the label. Price I paid is the same as on the website.

On the back it says:

"CVS pharmacy pure glycerin is ideal for dry skin. It deeply moisturizes, leaving skin feeling soft and smooth.

Caution: for external use only. Keep out of reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control center immediately. In case of eye contact, flush with running water for 15 minutes."

Guess my question is... is this safe to use? Sounds kinda scary :-/

image1.jpg image2.jpg

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Walmart has glycerin marked usp, usually over by the pharmacy. I've seen several posts where people use it and I've used it also with no ill effects. I usually buy vg from Essential Depot a quart at a time.

As for what you have, I don't know of any way to verify it but the word is that most of the glycerin comes from Humco and is just rebranded for the different stores. (What you said.)

Check Bull City vapor for some decent prices on pg, vg, and nic in the smaller quantities.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Hi, i saw Humco glycerin at walmart but it said anhydrous usp 99.5% pure natural vegetable based? is that ok? is there a better product like 100% pure?

The gradings indicate the purity, with USP being the highest and having the least number of contaminates. Once you break the seal on a bottle of USP liquid, it is no longer USP - it has dropped to food grade, even though the liquid itself has not changed. You have opened it to contamination from the air.

Read this:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/277267-purity-pg-vg-peg-short-version.html

T

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion - Defect Levels Handbook

You may be unpleasantly surprised to see the levels of contamination in some everyday products that the FDA considers to be acceptable.

The economics of it all are startlingly clear - the more you purify something, the more expensive it becomes. At some point you have to take a view of the potential harm from the 0.1% v the increased cost of further purification. Given the widespread everyday use of both PG and VG, the reason USP is recommended is because it's a balance between those forces.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread