My Fight With Two Cylons

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyInTN

Apr 17, 2018
Tennessee
Ever been in a fight with a Cylon? While they are an intelligent micro-chipped creature, they will fight you. They have a propensity to randomly throw batteries at you! Oh if my toes could talk, what Cylon encounters they could tell you about!

Okay, seriously now. Several months ago I bought two Smoant Cylons. They have functioned wonderfully, however over these few months the battery door on both have failed. The problem is they will not stay latched and at any moment without notice they'll throw their batteries out. And yes, they do hurt if they happen to fall on an unprotected toe. I've tried a few things without much success in preventing the battery door from randomly coming open. Finally I have found an inexpensive solution that works wonders in keeping the door closed and the batteries contained. The solution – a number 27 o-ring.

As pictured you can see the placement of the number 27 o-ring beside the battery door. The o-ring is easy to pull down on to let the battery door open for changing batteries, but strong enough to stay put and not move around when you want the door to stay shut. I share this because I've read some comments from others experiencing problems with the battery door on the Cylon. In full disclosure I must caution you that if you want to use a number 27 o-ring on your Cylon, it is an extremely difficult task to stretch the o-ring around and over the base of the Cylon, mustering all the strength my fingers could expel. However, once in proper position it serves its purpose and does it well.

Hope this can help someone else that may experience the battery flinging!

IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thankfully my Cylon always behaves, no battery door troubles but thanks for the tip in case I ever need it and for others. I’ve had the door pop open and shoot batteries out on a few occasions but it’s always when I go to set it down and give the door a glancing blow on the table. Then when I pick it up the door will open. This is few and far between though so not an issue.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
Ever been in a fight with a Cylon? While they are an intelligent micro-chipped creature, they will fight you. They have a propensity to randomly throw batteries at you! Oh if my toes could talk, what Cylon encounters they could tell you about!

Okay, seriously now. Several months ago I bought two Smoant Cylons. They have functioned wonderfully, however over these few months the battery door on both have failed. The problem is they will not stay latched and at any moment without notice they'll throw their batteries out. And yes, they do hurt if they happen to fall on an unprotected toe. I've tried a few things without much success in preventing the battery door from randomly coming open. Finally I have found an inexpensive solution that works wonders in keeping the door closed and the batteries contained. The solution – a number 27 o-ring.

As pictured you can see the placement of the number 27 o-ring beside the battery door. The o-ring is easy to pull down on to let the battery door open for changing batteries, but strong enough to stay put and not move around when you want the door to stay shut. I share this because I've read some comments from others experiencing problems with the battery door on the Cylon. In full disclosure I must caution you that if you want to use a number 27 o-ring on your Cylon, it is an extremely difficult task to stretch the o-ring around and over the base of the Cylon, mustering all the strength my fingers could expel. However, once in proper position it serves its purpose and does it well.

Hope this can help someone else that may experience the battery flinging!

View attachment 776909 View attachment 776911
I was seriously eyeing one of those up, but I'm having second thoughts now. Thanks, think I'll hold off and see what else might fill my need, or should I say want.

KennyInTN

Apr 17, 2018
Tennessee
The o-ring mod as pictured above is working just fine and holding the doors shut, so no need to glue them. The batteries have not fallen out one single time since putting the o-rings on. I have 10 sets of batteries for the Cylons and a Gyrfalcon all 8 charger that is the best charger I've ever owned. So there are always batteries ready to go without being tethered to a USB cord. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread