My First Mech: Everything in Order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my first mech is in the mail. (Actually, two are in the mail. :oops:)

I am a noob, not just to mechs but to vaping generally. So I've been doing lots of reading, watching YouTube videos, and so forth. Articles on battery safety, videos on maintenance, that sort of thing.

Here are things I've been collecting:

some AW IMR 18490s from RTD
Nitecore Intellicharger I4
LiPo bag
smok kick (for now, at least, I want the added control & safety)
plastic battery case (I already had soda bottle preforms)
multimeter
fuse :2c: (backup in case the kick is DOA)

Getting a mod isn't necessarily expensive... getting the other stuff needed for a mod is. ;)

Is there anything else you more experienced mech owners would consider essential? What and why?

And what about maintenance? Different people seem to do this differently. How do you polish you contacts? What do you use on your threads?

Like I said, I have been reading articles and watching videos. But if you have a link you consider essential, please don't hesitate to share it here, too. I may have missed it, or someone else might want/need to see it. :thumb:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
And what about maintenance? Different people seem to do this differently. How do you polish you contacts? What do you use on your threads?
Battery contacts can be cleaned with the highest % isopropyl alcohol you can find with a long cotton tip applicator. Same for the top connector center pin.

Battery cap threading can use some Noaloxx (anti-oxidant) every couple of months to keep them clean, lubricated, and anti-oxidized which prevents thread lockup. This can be found in most hardware stores in the electrical department.

noalox-2.jpg

Last edited:

TreVader

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my first mech is in the mail. (Actually, two are in the mail. :oops:)

I am a noob, not just to mechs but to vaping generally. So I've been doing lots of reading, watching YouTube videos, and so forth. Articles on battery safety, videos on maintenance, that sort of thing.

Here are things I've been collecting:

some AW IMR 18490s from RTD
Nitecore Intellicharger I4
LiPo bag
Smok kick (for now, at least, I want the added control & safety)
plastic battery case (I already had soda bottle preforms)
multimeter
fuse :2c: (backup in case the kick is DOA)

Getting a mod isn't necessarily expensive... getting the other stuff needed for a mod is. ;)

Is there anything else you more experienced mech owners would consider essential? What and why?

Like I said, I have been reading articles and watching videos. But if you have a link you consider essential, please don't hesitate to share it here, too. I may have missed it, or someone else might want/need to see it. :thumb:

All of this... with the exception of the battery and the charger.... is unnecessary. You would be much better served buying more batteries, or a better mech/rda.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
Last edited:

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
I got a Smoktech Magneto and a Sigelei 8W.

Never had the magneto but i have read many good things about it.

i just got the 8w on saturday. i love it. i had to play around with shimming the button to get it to my liking. i also am working on a complete redesign of the button assembly. tomorrow i will get to run the engraving program i posted here that will make the button match the top.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/434999-new-caravela-clone-sigelei-8w-40.html

last couple posts

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Never had the magneto but i have read many good things about it.
I've liked the reviews I've seen.

i just got the 8w on saturday. i love it. i had to play around with shimming the button to get it to my liking.
I saw that and I think I subscribed to the thread, too. :)

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
I got a Smoktech Magneto and a Sigelei 8W.

Those should work very well for you.

You know, I waited months and months for friggin China to come out with a dang simple tube mechanical mod. In the time waiting I just ended up buying a second hybrid that also happens to work has a tube mechanical (iHybrid F3cta). Fast forward months later and now the market is saturated with dang tube mods that are not only cheap but work extremely well. LOL ... go figure.

Not at all regretting my purchase but sheesh ... it's a good time to get into mechanical/rba vaping. Heck the other day I decided to buy a nemmy clone to use as my new beater mod for work. Was a bit hesitant due to it being a 100% clone (the labeling and markings ...which I don't think is right honestly). But it's not like I'm going to pretend it's the real deal either ... heck, I might even polish off the serial number out of principal. lol

I don't know what it is ... but I just love the look of a simple tube mechanical with a bottom firing switch.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Yes well, we don't all have the dexterity and intelligence to use a ruler and multiply two integers (inches x ohms/inch = Aohms). Its ok tho, maybe one day you'll learn!

And a quote from the linked thread,

I never measure resistance.... if the battery gets hot, i make the coil longer. I've built coils that by all rights should've blown my MNKEs, but never did. Stuff like quad 4 wrap micros on 26ga kanthal. That was a dope setup but i roasted the wicks one day and.... sigh... i don't want to talk about it.

I'd strongly suggest you not offer advice to new members if this it the mentality and attitude you wish to show. I honestly fear for you, and hope I don't one day read about you having blown yourself up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread