Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim151

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2012
Hawaii
Lets see, I have been using the same wick and coil I built 4 days ago. Today, when I was vaping, I noticed my button got very very hot. I immediately let go of the button and let it sit to cool down. Took out the battery and end cap off. Measured the battery and was reading 3.9 volts. On the end cap, I realized the spring collapsed all the way down and looked black.
So, I ended up cleaning up the spring and pull it out as much as I could. I put everything back together and tried again. Same thing! So this time, I researched the forum a little and saw some had same problems before and saw the thread about Ody short that could cause the problem.
I immediately made a new wick and coil and put the new one on. I did what I could with the spring and tried to fire it up again. This time, no hot button! And it vaped just like before. But I could not believe how hot the button got.
With all this, I'm wondering if I should just change the wick and coil every time I have to refill? Also, what can I do to prevent this in the future?
Another thing, My spring is in bad shape. Can I use the GG without the spring? I looked for another spring and saw that it was out of stock in COV. Anyone have extras that maybe I can buy 1 or 2 off them? If so please PM me. Thank you.

Kim151

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2012
Hawaii
I change my coil every day or 2 myself. You can use it without a spring just be aware that by doing so there's nothing to collapse and break the circuit if you get another short, personally I run fuse kits with a double fuse.

Well, I went with no spring right for now. I checked the spring again and it was collapsed all the way down again. Guess this on is toast. I do plan on getting the fuse kit whenever Bruce/COV has them back in stock.

Last edited:

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Imeos forward thinking in the design allowed the spring to take the brunt of the short and collapse. The price for a fuse kit and extra springs are a mere pitance compared to what can happen without the spring.

Even if the spring collapsed too soon and required replacemts to be made, I prefer to keep spares and replace them. I guess that is why I don't understand some mods lack of safety features such as this.

Granted the "worst case" with other non-prepared mods is small but in the final analysis, saving $20 or my face? I'll spend the $20 every time! ;)

wreimer

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
I haven't had any spring or overheating problems, perhaps due to my building a new coil every time I refill. When I first got the Ody, it took a few days to get a coil that actually worked properly so I didn't change it out for nearly a week. In the interim, I had been "practising" my coil building skills, so I had a few coils put together.
I had to fill it up, and I had a coil sitting there, ready to use. I put it in, sort of regretting doing it initially...after all, the coil was working "fine"...I changed the coil, and was happy I had. Even though I thought the coil was OK, a new one was SOO much better, I just started changing it out every time I refilled it. MUCH better, consistent vaping this way..Much better

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Of course you dont have to change coil everytime you refill Kim my friend. The short came from a wire that you didnt screw well or a piece of positive wire was very close to the metal housing and heat made it bend a little and touched the metal housing maybe. If you screw wires in the proper way you can always vape Ody with no problems at all:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread