my first reo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

negrete35

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
So I was visiting all the B&M shops around my area today and I found a Reo Grand! I traded the owner my Provari mini for it. So excited. I also bought a an A7 for it. I got home so excited only to find that the A7 keeps shorting out. It collapsed my spring. Twice. I have a 306 on there now, but it is not even close to the low ohm coils I am used to building on my Igo L dripper. I really want a higher quality rba for it. So I am calling all Reo lovers out there to help me out. Someone has to have spare ERA or hornet!

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
So I was visiting all the B&M shops around my area today and I found a Reo Grand! I traded the owner my Provari mini for it. So excited. I also bought a an A7 for it. I got home so excited only to find that the A7 keeps shorting out. It collapsed my spring. Twice. I have a 306 on there now, but it is not even close to the low ohm coils I am used to building on my Igo L dripper. I really want a higher quality RBA for it. So I am calling all Reo lovers out there to help me out. Someone has to have spare ERA or hornet!

Someone will come along with more experience than I. I've collapsed a spring before. I'm thinking you may be a victim of the "wobbly center pin" of the A7. I hope you have some (more) extra springs and don't use the A7 'til you fix the center pin. But of course if it happens when you are using other carts/attys then it's something else going on.

What type of batteries do you have in the REO?

Norman

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com
Someone will come along with more experience than I. I've collapsed a spring before. I'm thinking you may be a victim of the "wobbly center pin" of the A7. I hope you have some (more) extra springs and don't use the A7 'til you fix the center pin. But of course if it happens when you are using other carts/attys then it's something else going on.

What type of batteries do you have in the REO?

Norman

you should have been told the center pin on the A7 is adjustable and should be flush with the threads if it sticks out to far it will short your mod

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Order a replacement spring for your Reo and butcher a carto condom to provide extra support on your A7's center pin. The A7 gurus like Karen and Sterno can tell you how to do it.

I would change "spring" to "springs" as in like 4. I have never needed em but damn glad I have em. Nothin like a $3 part putting the end to a million dollar vape.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
ok, the short is gone but now I have no air flow.

I takes some experimentation to get it working. To me it sounds like the tubing is too long. Take a good look at the threaded part of the bottom of the A7. You should see two tiny holes, 180 degrees apart, right where the top of threads end. If those holes get covered by your tubing insert - no airflow.

What has worked for me, based on other's suggestions, is to snip off a ring from a carto condom no more than an 1/8" wide. Then cut thru the ring once. You should now have a strip that is 1/8" wide by about 1 1/4" long.

That 1 1/4" length will be way too long to fit into the gap between the center post and the thread post. Just trim it down gradually until it makes a near complete circle. I use a pair of really pointy tweezers or a dental pick to wedge the strip in, after backing out the center post as much as possible. Then I slowly screw the center post in until it is flush with the thread post. So you've now got basically, a bushing between the center and thread post.

Good thing is you only have to do this once. Its a shame they designed the A7 with a wobbly center post and no insulator between the center and thread post. I like them, but they made a mistake. I guess that's one of the reasons they cost less than $20... Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread