My heart doc says keep vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Today was follow up #2 to my cardiologist. A bit over a year ago my heart got all outta whack from years of bad habits.
Dude blamed it on smoking. So my next logical step was to start vaping.

A follow visit later I showed him my Aspire Rover X30 (w/D22 tank) and he high fived me. Next visit everything was good to go. So he put me on a bi-yearly schedule. This was visit #2.

He came in the room all happy at what an ekg, and other tests showed good signs. He asked if I still smoke and I said yes but while pulling out my vape pod and showed him. "I smoke a lot less now" I said.

He said "keep on vaping and some day you'll stop smoking". Agreed. He said come back in a year and if I'm not smoking anymore he'll pay for the visit. (about $500 total with tests).

Ironically on the way into the facility I had to put out a fire from a cigarette in a landscaped area where the mulch was smoldering.

Anybody else have a doctor who approves of vaping?

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Today was follow up #2 to my cardiologist. A bit over a year ago my heart got all outta whack from years of bad habits.

A follow visit later I showed him my Aspire Rover X30 (w/D22 tank) and he high fived me. Next visit everything was good to go. So he put me on a bi-yearly schedule. This was visit #2.

He came in the room all happy at what an ekg, and other tests showed good signs. He asked if I still smoke and I said yes but while pulling out my vape pod and showed him. "I smoke a lot less now" I said.

He said "keep on vaping and some day you'll stop smoking". Agreed. He said come back in a year and if I'm not smoking anymore he'll pay for the visit. (about $500 total with tests).

Ironically on the way into the facility I had to put out a fire from a cigarette in a landscaped area where the mulch was smoldering.

My routine doc says ok, plus I vape full spectrum CBD it helps w/my nausea I get 2-3 times a week from my disease gastroparesis also called GP,
there's no cure yet as of this day, u jus' have deal daily w/ur awful symptoms,
my gastroenterologist approves,
my neurologists I dunno yet I see him this Friday haven't seen him in awhile !

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

Sounds like a good deal. My cardio and neuro agree, with nary an inducement.

Good luck. :)

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee

I started vaping at the suggestion of my doctor who finally realized telling me I needed to quit smoking wasn't working.

"Maybe you could try vaping," he said.

I was a bit curious about vaping and his nudge was what I needed. Stopped by the vape shop a couple days later, bought a cheap little eLeaf iStick and haven't smoked a cigarette since after more than 45 years of being addicted.

My doctor is very happy with this development, and so am I. It's not an exaggeration to say I feel like a new man. OK, a new 66-year-old man, but a lot better than 3.5 years ago.

Congrats to you @United States. And, congrats to your doctor.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to share about some doctors who aren't close-minded, as far as vaping goes. IMO, the more we vapers talk to them about it from our own firsthand experience...the more we can help enlighten them to the truth.

My endochronologist for 20 years, (who'd also agreed to be my PCP all that time)...always gave me a high 5 during my regular check-ups...when I'd tell him that I was still vaping and hadn't smoked since my last one in Jan. 2014. He was very supportive of my vaping to stay off the smokes! He retired last January, and I had to get both a new endochronologist and a new primary care physician.

Met my new PCP in March. When I told him I'd smoked for 42+ years and quit Jan. 2014, with the help of vaping...he gave me a congratulatory handshake and was genuinely interested in more info about vaping. We talked for at least 15 minutes about it: why it worked for me when other methods hadn't; the improvements in my health while vaping; my DIY eliquid ingredients and nic mg level; various types of vaping set-ups; the mis-information online and on TV about vaping; my plan to continue vaping forever, etc.

Because he seemed really interested in how vaping had helped me, and in vaping in general, I said, "If you have other patients who smoke, and would possibly like to quit...I'd be happy to talk to them about vaping and help them get started." I told him he had my permission to give them my name and phone number. He was very interested in that, and his response was, "Do you have any business cards I could give them to get in touch with you? Those would probably be less likely to get lost or misplaced." Told him I don't help people get started as a business, but that I'd bring him some old cards I had that contained my info, so he could pass them out. When I took just 8-10 to him a couple weeks later...he asked if I could bring some more. :thumbs:

When I met with my new endo. 2 weeks ago, we also discussed my vaping and the same info. I'd shared with my PCP. She was also very interested and asked questions to get first-hand information about vaping and eliquids in general. In the end, like my PCP, she also was pleased that vaping was helping me stay off the smokes for good.

So, IMO, there IS hope yet, that medical professionals may "come around" afterall regarding vaping, even if it's slower than we'd like them to.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Two different docs in 2 years say stop vaping. Those guys are history. In that time, while vaping, I reformed diet and exercise. Blood pressure, blood glucose and blood fats reduced to normal ranges. Body fat reduced by about 30 pounds to 13.5%. 10-12 lbs of muscle added. Diet is 40 net carbs Keto, exercise is 60 minutes walking and 60 minutes Airdyne daily, 110 minutes of lifting weekly. Medications firmly declined. None of this would have happened without stopping smoking, which wouldn't have happened without vaping. Sorry if I wrote this rant already. BTW, I'm 70.

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
On a Good Note: My Cardiologist suggested I try Vaping almost six years ago! He was happy I took it up, but now a days he keeps bringing up I need to try to stop vaping, I'm comfortable and don't plan on it.

Flip Side of That: My other docs, all have a negative attitude about vaping and consider it smoking. That REALLY bugs me it is not smoking but they still chart it as currently smoking an electronic cigarette.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia

My Neurologist said the same thing to me about my epilepsy.
    He said I really really shouldn't smoke but vaping not a problem at all.
    My smoking went down and Vaping increased.
    And from then on things improved Considerably:)

tgs3

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I smoked for 40+ years. I began vaping, dual using, for nine months. I have now not smoked cigarette for 15 months. I also started researching ways to reduce the damage & settled on low carb regime. My new doc said that vaping is at least as bad as smoking and low carb will kill me.

Oh well

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    My new doc said that vaping is at least as bad as smoking and low carb will kill me.
    You presumably know this to be untrue. If your doc is wrong about this, what else might he be wrong about? Why would you take medical advice from such a person?

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    With all the vape-bashing propoganda, and some of personal responses I've got from people (including "the look") it's really great to hear some good news... thank you, I needed that. My doc was fairly accepting of the fact I quit smoking months ago because of vaping. When he used the stethoscope on my lungs, he seemed impressed (I told him I had smoked for 40 years) Even the dentist (after shooting novocaine in my gums) said I could step out and vape while we waited for the novocaine to work (I was very nervous... about to have 2 teeth pulled) There may be light at the end of the tunnel after all.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    A long time back, I went to the doc and was looking to get a nicotine inhaler, this was before vaping and all nicotine replacements were by script only. He told that I was just substituting one bad habit for another. I mentioned carbon monoxide and particulate matter to him, I got no reply, I never returned. I suppose the concept of risk reduction never occurred to him. I never got the inhaler either and then, a few years later, I discovered vaping and eventually quit cigarettes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread