My little sister wants to quit smoking... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorched

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Hey guys, I would like to start off by saying this is a very serious issue and I am seeking serious advice and opinions. I have not been posting on the forums latley but this is a situation where I really need some help, I'm not sure what to do.

Today my younger sister announced to me that she has been smoking cigarettes, supposedly for about two years now. She expressed to me that she wants to quit, which as all of you know is easier said than done. If she has just started this nasty habit I would recommend to her to quit cold turkey. But I know how it goes, the longer you continue the more difficult it becomes to break the addiction.

She told me she wants to use a PV, like me. But this is where it becomes difficult... she is only 13 years old. I definetly do not want to expose her to nicotine addiction the rest of her life. But at the same time I know the risks of smoking, I do not want to see her live a short life. On the other hand I know there are other alternatives to quitting, but they fail miserably.

I explained to her that using a PV is not cool. Because I chose to start smoking in the first place I am now reduced to constantly using a battery powered pacifire. I don't want her to end up in the same situation. I don't want to simply hand her some nicotine patches or gum... these things never worked for me and I know she would probably continue smoking anyways because they probably won't work.

I know this is a tough subject but I could really use some help here. I will be checking back in after work. :(

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
I remember being when I first started like her thinking that quitting is harder than it really was at the time. You can't compare what she is going through to what you are now. Cold Turkey would without a doubt be the way to go. I doubt that she is smoking in school which is a long period of time and if you can go most of the day without smoking.

It's either cold turkey which shouldn't be that hard if she is serious about quitting or go see a doctor which might not be a bad idea either way. If she thinks quitting now is hard give it a couple of more years.

Sierra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
I agree with baba...I started smoking fairly early in my life...like 13-14 the same age range she is in now. If my parents had paid more attention or cared more when they found out I had been smoking I might not be smoking/vapeing today. I was just a kid so I did what I thought was cool so I could grow up just as cool as my mom and dad. Fact of the matter once you start paying for it yourself you wish your parents were there to be like you need to quit NOW cold turkey. I wish someone would have stopped me. It's like at that age you don't understand the word addiction. I really hope you find all the support you need here on the forums and that my posts helps you. Maybe you should let her visit some people who have cancer so she can really see what smoking can do to you. I think thats the main reason alot of us started smoking in the first place. We started young...young enough not to fully realize what we were getting into. Just make sure she knows and hopefully she will be horrified and stop without being made to stop.

<3 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread