My menthol smoking coworker is interested... but what should I give her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
The short (skip the rest if you like):
What do I offer my menthol smoking lady friend?

The long:
I'm a new vaper and I just started vaping at work. My menthol smoking coworker is curious about this "thing" I'm using and wants to try it, but wants a menthol. What should I give her? She smokes those skinny Misty menthols.

I never smoked menthols so I never really researched much on the menthol eliquids. I tried one or two at the suggestion of the ECF, but didn't work for me. I know there are probably a 100 threads on "what is the best menthol", but that could take hours and I'd probably still pick the wrong one. This lady isn't looking hard at vaping like many of us were when we got started -- She is just interested and wants to try it. So, we've probably got just one shot here. Whatever flavor I let her try, that's going to be her first impression, and if she doesn't at least semi like it, then that's probably it until she decides she's serious about trying to quit. When that day comes, I'd like her to at least remember this and think, "you know, that ecig wasn't half bad".

So, if you are an ex-menthol smoker (especially the ladies here), and had just one shot at this, what would YOU offer her? Also, keep in mind that being a current menthol smoker, she's got it in her mind that it HAS to be a menthol (you know you remember thinking like that), so I can't pitch her a watermelon or cherry-cola something or other...

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Former (male) menthol smoker here. I think part of smoking menthols is a dislike of "regular" tobacco flavor. I personally only used a menthol tobacco flavor from a local vendor for about 2 weeks before I started exploring flavors. After almost 6 weeks of various flavors, I decided to try my menthol again when a menthol smoking friend was visiting. He kind of liked it, but as I brought out more and more of my flavors, he was liking those more.

An idea would be to discuss with her what other types of flavors she really enjoys. Does she like sweet stuff? Things like that.

And you could actually pitch her a watermelon, if you find a vendor that sells things with optional menthol shots. I've seen a lot of juice vendors that offer such. It gives that cooling menthol blast mixed in with the core flavor.

The Hill Giant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Providence
I'd let her try the Ice Menthol flavor from Smokeless Image. It's what got me off the analogs in combination with a Volt. If she likes it, you can send her to the site to get a nice volt kit with some prefilled Ice Menthol cartomizers, which is a perfect set up for a beginner. Not only that, but the device itself is about the same length as a Misty, even though it's fatter.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
I'd let her try the Ice Menthol flavor from Smokeless Image. It's what got me off the analogs in combination with a Volt. If she likes it, you can send her to the site to get a nice volt kit with some prefilled Ice Menthol cartomizers, which is a perfect set up for a beginner. Not only that, but the device itself is about the same length as a Misty, even though it's fatter.

This is an excellent suggestion. I don't do menthol myself, but the Volt is as plug-n-play as vaping gets, perfect for beginners (and for ladies, especially with all the pretty colors and diamond tips!). That menthol (they have two: the other is reportedly more "mint" than menthol, I think) gets high marks from Volt users.

Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Excellent suggestion. The Smokeless Image 78mm Volts with Ice Menthol is what I started with (former Marlboro Menthol Lite smoker).

I still vape the SI Ice Menthol about 10% of the time. I order the bottled refills with extra strength nic for one of my tanks for the rare times I feel the craving for something more analog-like that my regular flavored juices don't satisfy. Having said that, the thought of actually smoking an analog is revolting.

The only other SI juice I use occassionally is Classic Grape. I'm currently on a search for another grape flavor that is similar in taste to Welch's grape juice.

Last edited:

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
The SI suggestion is a good one. You could also just buy some menthol drops from a juice vendor and add a drop or two to a juice flavor that sounds good to her. If a drop or two isn't enough, you can add more to taste. I know AltCig sells their menthol drops, and I'm sure others do too.

I always hated menthol cigs, but I've found that I like menthol juices. Not all the time, but they are a nice change and seem to be good for cleansing the palate.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
All excellent suggestions! I think I'll pick up some of the SI Ice Menthol as suggested, but I also think Hawkeye is on the something here:

... I think part of smoking menthols is a dislike of "regular" tobacco flavor. ... And you could actually pitch her a watermelon, if you find a vendor that sells things with optional menthol shots. I've seen a lot of juice vendors that offer such. It gives that cooling menthol blast mixed in with the core flavor.

When I was a smoker, this was always my perception of menthol smokers. lol. Personally, I wanted to taste my tobacco, but now that I think about it, I've known menthol smokers to try all kinds of flavored cigarettes. One buddy of mine found these weird blondie mango's that he loved for a few weeks. So I bet I could offer her a "cool berry" and there is a chance she'd like it more than the menthol.

Thanks guys! I feel like I've got a plan now. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
All excellent suggestions! I think I'll pick up some of the SI Ice Menthol as suggested, but I also think Hawkeye is on the something here:

When I was a smoker, this was always my perception of menthol smokers. lol. Personally, I wanted to taste my tobacco, but now that I think about it, I've known menthol smokers to try all kinds of flavored cigarettes. One buddy of mine found these weird blondie mango's that he loved for a few weeks. So I bet I could offer her a "cool berry" and there is a chance she'd like it more than the menthol.

Thanks guys! I feel like I've got a plan now. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

I immediately thought of Orchard Frost (wild berry menthol tobacco) and Conundrum (menthol fruit salad - no tobacco), both of which are from BWB.

Another that I have tried that might work is Blade Runner from Heather's Heavenly Vapes, which is peppermint vanilla with a menthol finish. Real nice stuff.

Milkshakes

May 2, 2012
philadelphia, pa
Your friend is in luck! Mistys and capris are really different from newports salems etc. She won't have a hard time searching for that harsh icy burn of a newport. Most of the menthol tobacco flavors out there are gross. There are a few Like halo that have great reviews but since she smokes such airy minty cigs they'll be too "tobacco" tasting for her.
I gave up on trying to find a Newport flavor. I still love menthol. I vape magnum PI with flavor boost from Fuzion vapor it's a watermelon peach menthol. The fruit flavors are realistic not candy tastes and very refreshing. I also love mint chocolate chip flavors. I just ordered an Andes mint flavor from ms. T's bakery and can't wait to try that. Rawr vapor among others offer "menthol crystals" that you add one at a time to flavors to mentholate them, so she could enjoy fruity or dessert flavors and add menthol if she wanted to that day.

Bottom line the underlying "tobacco" flavoring is just not for me. My fiancé loves tobacco flavored ejuice but it's not menthol. I always taste a nutty, raisin Note similar to smelling unlit non menthol analogs, with a super powerful mint layered on top. It's never refreshing and makes my mouth feel gross. As a girl she will be better off going with mentholated fruit/candy/ice cream "frozen flavors"

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think I'll pick up some of the SI Ice Menthol as suggested, but I also think Hawkeye is on the something here:
Good point. I NEVER smoked non-menthol cigs, I thought they were disgusting. I've tried a couple of tobacco e-juices and thought they were bad. I often wondered if I was more addicted to smoking menthol than the actual nicotine...I know better now tho.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
Ok... Placed my orders. Got two sampler packs from SI. One had Ice Menthol, Menthol Burst, Mint, Cappuccino and Classic Grape. The other had Cherry, Vanilla, Chocolate, Grape and Watermelon. Then I also ordered Orchard Frost and Conundrum from BWB. I was going to order Magnum PI and Vacation from Fuzion Vapor (and The Dean for me, haha), but they only take paypal :(

No way she'll try all these unless the first one is a semi-hit, so I'm going to start off with the SI Ice Menthol, and follow up with the Orchard Frost. Hopefully she'll kinda like one of them and then be interested in trying the others. We'll see!

Thanks again for all the help... I love the ECF. :)

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
tell her to buy a bottle of menthol...and buy a bottle of great tobacco juice, and tell her to put 1/5 menthol into her bottle of tobacco.
Or she can buy expensive yet Awesome menthol from Halo ...they have the purest e-liquid on the planet.
Or go here and get menthol tobacco mixed

Halo, freedomsmoke, alienvisions have the best juice , i smoke menthol and i get great prices from Vaporrenu.
Camel tobacco w/menthol...you can have menthol with any juice there....and ratio pg/vg....too!

The short (skip the rest if you like):
What do I offer my menthol smoking lady friend?

The long:
I'm a new vaper and I just started vaping at work. My menthol smoking coworker is curious about this "thing" I'm using and wants to try it, but wants a menthol. What should I give her? She smokes those skinny Misty menthols.

I never smoked menthols so I never really researched much on the menthol eliquids. I tried one or two at the suggestion of the ECF, but didn't work for me. I know there are probably a 100 threads on "what is the best menthol", but that could take hours and I'd probably still pick the wrong one. This lady isn't looking hard at vaping like many of us were when we got started -- She is just interested and wants to try it. So, we've probably got just one shot here. Whatever flavor I let her try, that's going to be her first impression, and if she doesn't at least semi like it, then that's probably it until she decides she's serious about trying to quit. When that day comes, I'd like her to at least remember this and think, "you know, that ecig wasn't half bad".

So, if you are an ex-menthol smoker (especially the ladies here), and had just one shot at this, what would YOU offer her? Also, keep in mind that being a current menthol smoker, she's got it in her mind that it HAS to be a menthol (you know you remember thinking like that), so I can't pitch her a watermelon or cherry-cola something or other...

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
I gave up on trying to find a Newport flavor.

Dont' give up milkshakes!, try this dekang ...it's really good newport taste....I love the Hillington....i worked at store that sold only dekang...was really good quality....I never smoked any chinese made juices....but this one of the best in my 21/2 yrs. of vaping...
go here:

and only $6.49 for 30 Ml's....crazy prices this month!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Here's a tip to give to your friend. No way will an electric cigarette or e-juice duplicate her favorite cigarette. Don't bother spending boo-koo dollars trying to find its twin in electric form, it doesn't exist.

She needs to really want to stop smoking and realize that vaping on PV's probably offers the best solution to accomplish that goal. If she finds that by vaping that she really might be able to stop, ecourage her get backup batteries. Or, if she decided upon the Volt cig-look-alikes, encourage her to try one of the X2's. If she is at all like me, she'll probably tire of changing out batteries every couple hours; even tho it's cigar sized, the X2 batteries will give her 6-12 hours between charges. Tell her the best success comes when you stop trying to look like you are still smoking an analog, and go with a bigger battery. Just my :2c:

Largo

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Brooklyn
I'll chime in for a fifth (fourth?) consecutive statement that most smokers I know get into menthols because they don't like regular tobacco flavors-that being said, all of them loved the few 'classy' mint smokes out there way more than their menthols. I get that you already ordered some flavors, but in case future e-liquid archaeologists find this post, try a mint instead of a menthol. It won't let them down by not tasting like their smokes, plus like I said, I find most of them prefer a mint either, as sort of a cleaner taste.

Oh, did you want to know SPECIFICALLY which mint liquid to get? Oh....uh....I.....hey look, a dude over there is giving away free Provaris! <runs for it>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread