My Romisen Cree RC-A8 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
Here's my mod, and yes I MADE it, I didn't buy it. My part's list, instructions and pics are below. Please excuse the novel, but I'm not much one for vids.

Romisen CREE RC-A8: $15.99 (the black is $14.99) - Deal Extreme
TrustFire PCB 3.6V 880MaH 2pk: $4.49 - Deal Extreme
5/16" Push Nut - $1.39 - Home Depot Speciality nuts & bolts drawers.
1 Momentary switch - Normally Open - available at any Radioshack/Frys/Electronic's parts place. -- 4pk for $3.50

Tools Used:
Dremel/Roto Tool - cone-shaped grinding attachment (a fine round file will work too)
Drill with 5/16 drill bit
Hemostats or long-nose pliers
Soft-Face Hamer (amber) - $4.99 Harbor Freight
Soldering Iron
10MM Nut Driver
Tubing Cutter - $3.99 Harbor Freight
Voltmeter (With OHM Measurement) - $2.99 Harbor Freight
Bench Vise or some other way to grab and hold small parts.
Punch tool (Awl)

SO... for roughly $25 US dollars and just a little effort, you can have your own SD Clone :shock:. It takes me about an hour to toss one of these bad-girls together. The beauty is that EVERYTHING comes apart on this beautiful little torch.

Step 1 - Order your parts and wait. I suggest ordering more than one Flashlight and extra batteries, not because you're going to mess up - but because you're gonna LOVE the flashlight. It's better to order what you think you'll need in one shot, than have to wait for a SECOND order to come in.

Step 2 - Break down your RC-A8. Everything breaks down on this beauty.
1. Unscrew the Lens
2. Fit your long-nose pliars into the slots on either side of the led and unscrew.
3. Gently clip or unsolder the wire from the led, you'll use the wire later and if you're careful you'll only have this one solder-point.
4. Unscrew the lower part of the body. Insert Nut Driver in wide opening and gently tap-out the circuit board. Set Aside.
5. Remove Rubber cover from the switch, and unscrew switch assembly from the inside of the lower body with hemostats.

Step 3 - Replace the switch assembly.
1. You can do this any way you like, but I gently pry the insides out of the metal casing.
2. Use your dremel w/cone attachment to enlarge the hole so that the switch will fit completely through. It shouldn't require much enlarging.
3. Fold one prong on the switch flat and flush with the bottom of the switch, and again so that the "bottom" of the prong is pointing toward the button, then push it toward the body. You want this prong to firmly touch the metal casing after it's inserted.
4. Take the nut and washer off the switch.
5. Insert switch into the flashlight switch casing, screw on the nut an tighten with your 10mm Nut Driver. Check the OHMS between the casing and the prong that's still sticking up with the switch depressed. If it's not registering resistance, you may need to shim the other side of the switch to get a good connection.
6. Find something to insulate the remaining prong from the one that's folded over. I used a bit of heavy plastic I had lying about. Cut a circle the size of the switch. Cut a small slot in it to go around the remaining prong, and fold the prong inward over the plastic insulator. This prong will be touching the bottom of the battery. Make sure it sits above the edge of the metal casing. Personally, I grind down the casing (with a bench grinder) so that the bottom of the switch is above the rim.
7. Screw the casing back into the bottom 3rd of the flashlight.

Step 4 - Prep the Middle 3rd.
1. Wrap some tape around the neck were you are going to cut, to keep from marring the the finish.
2. Use your tube cutter to cut it in half, slow and steady is the key.
3. Use your Roto with grinding tip to flatten the surface and then bevel slightly inward, this gives a nice clean edge.

Step 5 - Make your adapter
1. You'll notice that the nut is almost a perfect fit.
2. Use your awl to tap an indention into the bottom of the nut, secure in vice and drill out with 5/16 drill bit.
3. Use Grind the top prongs down, this will enable you to "press fit" the battery adapter from your 401/901/801 whatever you like. The smaller adapters may not need any grinding at all, but the 901 does.
4. There are 2 ways to make the Push Nut - press fit the neck you just cut. First way is to use your awl and punch a few "outward facing" bumps. Second way is to put a few solder dabs around the middle of the Push Nut.
5. Press-fit your adapter into the "pronged" end of the Push Nut. The easy way is to screw the adapter onto a bad atomizer and use your soft-mallet to tap it into place. This protects both your fingers and the threads on the adapter.

Step 6 - Put it all Together!
1. Thread the wire attached to the circut board through the neck and solder the wire to the center post of the adapter. (This is the reason for the big hole in the bottom) Clip the circuit board back into place, and press-fit the adapter into the neck of the flashlight.
2. Check OHMS between center post and threads on the INSIDE of the flashlight. There should be no shorts (needle doesn't move). Then touch the Outside of the adapter, and you should see resistance. If not, one of your press-fits doesn't have enough touch-points.
3. Insert Battery and screw together.
4. Check your voltage by touching center post and outside-threads of your battery adapter while depressing button. Mine registers 4.2v with a fully charged Trustfire.
5. Attach atomizer and ENJOY!

An advantage of using this Press Nut that the prongs make 4 additional vent holes. Very easy draw on these. If you want a stiffer draw, you can solder these closed.

Attachments

• IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 3,930
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 4,024
Last edited:

housewife

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
Nice!

Thats killer, I cant wait to try my hand at putting one of these together as well. I hate to ask for more after such an in depth write up, but do you by any chance have a few pics shot during the construction process you would be able to post? I'm also having difficulty visualizing a couple of these steps.

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
I've got an extra, I'll take some pics and post. Only problem with re-locating the switch is the extra time and cramped space. This thing really is SMALL, without the atomizer, it measures 2 3/4 inches and that's with the button. There's just not a lot of spare room inside for an LED and Switch. Bastage posted a clone in another forum with an externally mounted tactile switch, and it appeared he used shrink-tubing to attach it.

Survivalism

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Aurora, Colorado
Ive seen that pic, didnt make the connection on shrink tubing until now, ill wait until i get my flashlight before i make any assumptions, can i just increase the length of the overall mod ( cut closer to the actual torch side ) to make room for an LED / switch? Thanks a ton.. if all else fails ill just make one just like yours.

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
i did mine a few weeks ago,i had no idea how to connect the (801) battery connector...
then it hit me.....and it looks awsome too.

take a simple 8mm Flange Nut,file every corner of the nut only a few times,and drill out the threads to 8.5mm

the nut is ready to press fit to the flashlight and the nut's hole is ready to accept the battery connector....(from a dead battery)
some cyano (super) glue between f/l nut and connector,some mild hits with a small hammer...and you are ready to go.

have fun.

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC01305.jpg
    DSC01305.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,425
Last edited:

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
It's springless, and a pretty snug fit. Not enough room at the end once you put the new switch in for a spring. I'm going to try and post some pics of the "in works" today

HOLY HELL! Ripley, I know your a woman and all.....but seriously.....bromance. One question though, did you relocate the battery spring to the positive center of the pcb? or is this version of yours springless?

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
Hey Parapo,

I saw the idea for the flange-nut in another forum (I'm not sure if you were the original poster), but for the life of me couldn't find a flange-nut at Home Depot. I'd taken my Romisen with me, so I just started "fitting" parts and this is what I came up with.

i did mine a few weeks ago,i had no idea how to connect the (801) battery connector...
then it hit me.....and it looks awsome too.

take a simple 8mm Flange Nut,file every corner of the nut only a few times,and drill out the threads to 8.5mm

the nut is ready to press fit to the flashlight and the nut's hole is ready to accept the battery connector....(from a dead battery)
some cyano (super) glue between f/l nut and connector,some mild hits with a small hammer...and you are ready to go.

have fun.

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
Here it is in parts and notated. I hope some of the steps are clearer.
A Push-Nut is the kind of thing you push onto the end of a rod (Like the axle of a child's big-wheel or wagon) to keep it from sliding and to protect the end.

Attachments

• NewSwitch.jpg
    NewSwitch.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,058
  • PushNut.jpg
    PushNut.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,007
  • AllParts.jpg
    AllParts.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 986
Last edited:

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
Hey Parapo,

I saw the idea for the flange-nut in another forum (I'm not sure if you were the original poster), but for the life of me couldn't find a flange-nut at Home Depot. I'd taken my Romisen with me, so I just started "fitting" parts and this is what I came up with.

i posted it originally on ecigreview....
did it with a side switch,and left the original one as a main switch, for transportation.
impossible to accidental push the main switch,and it is easier to vape pushing on the side....

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
Thank you for putting your trust in my skill, however I'm not interested in making these production-line style.

#1 - I don't have the parts, since "genuine" adapters from old and broken batteries really make the fine finish on this.
#2 - This is all fun for me, if I started making them for others it would be too much like work.

Stike

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
B.MASS

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
The biggest reason is that I destroyed the only DIY 901 connector I had in the first-pass (before I realized you had to grind the prongs a bit). I got a little over zealous with the "soft" mallet :oops:. The OEM connector gives a beautiful fit-n-finish and sits perfectly flush, and once it's in there it's NOT coming out (I tried). The DIY's should work just fine. You WON'T be able to force the 901 DIY, it will break and then refuse to come out of the Push-Nut without destroying one or the other.

Poor rip must have been flooded by PMs asking her to make them! One other question though, why didn't you use the DIY connector to make this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread