My second mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzlytbeer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Monee, IL (near Chicago)
Here is my 2nd mod! Getting better with each one. For this, I found an extendable pole that has broken at the end. I was going to cut the broken part off and use it again, but then I felt how light the aluminum was, and I thought... maybe it would work for a mod...

I had just gotten a bunch of rechargeable CR2's from D/E, and they fit inside really well.

The top (connector end), was made from the bottom of a tire valve. I cut most of the valve stem off, except enough to match the rubber gasket that comes with it. I then bored it out to fit the 901 battery connector. The rubber gasket and the valve stem end fit into the tube perfectly. I added a dab of epoxy to make it solid.

I installed a tactile switch, and made a nipple on the end of the setup, with an open rivet for the post that the + end of the battery sets on. Sorry, didn't take pics of the process. The bottom side was made with two washers and a rubber gasket in the middle. The inside washer was threaded to fit the thumbscrew. I added a small spring to the end of the thumbscrew to make the batterys fit without any rattle, and it gave me an extra 1/8 inch to play with. The end slides in, turn the thumbscrew, and the two washers comress the rubber gasket, which makes a pretty tight seal and holds the end in. I ultimately want the end to be flat, so I am still working on a way to improve it. The switch needs some work too. I have some ides on a tip for it, but I like the way it is recessed right now. I can keep it in my pocket, and the button won't get pressed.

It runs just like the other magunms. 6 volts. I want to make another with a diode to drop it down .8 volts to about 5.2 volts (depending on output).

Also, it perfoms just like the magnum is expected. Tons of vapor. We'll see how long my attys will last....

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 151

bzlytbeer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Monee, IL (near Chicago)
I am planning on doing another to accommodate my 510 atomizers as well. I will detail everything on that build with either pics or video. This one came all from my head, and it took me a while to get a solid design. I would prefer the bottom end to be threaded, but it is working very well for now.

I am thinking about building a few adapters for it too. I have some old attys that I could press fit battery connections into, so it would extend the entire setup about 3/4 inch (only when the atty is on), but that wouldn't be too bad.

Thank you for your compliment!!

bzlytbeer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Monee, IL (near Chicago)
Nice mod, especially like the thumb screw/spring idea. If your using 16340s (slightly bigger than CR123s) then the cells paradiso was talking about, one 18650, might work. You'll reduce the voltage down to 3.7, and extend mah capacity to around 2400-3000.

Pretty much what I am looking to do now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread