My Tesla Mod Moonlights as a Stripper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaponators

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Florida
Yes, my Tesla has multiple personalities. I've had it for about a year and have been satisfied with it's performance. Most of the time it's a mild mannered mod that vapes just fine. But sometimes it goes crazy and turns into a stripper! It seems to have an appetite for stripping 18650 batteries. Chews em up and spits em out! lol

Tesla.jpg 20140813_092219.jpg 20140813_092243.jpg AGA-T9.jpg

Vaponators

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Florida
You could also re-wrap the batteries, pretty easy to do (don't really need a heat gun if you are clever)

Rewrapping a battery

Kinda odd that keeps happening though, what's going on inside the mod at the positive terminal? Is there some janky machine marks tearing it up or something?

Thanks for that link UncleChuck. I was thinking about re-wrapping them but I wanted to try and figure out why the mod is chewing up my batteries first. I assumed it might be a jagged piece of metal somewhere in the mod but it looks and feels pretty smooth inside. No idea why it keeps doing that. :confused:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Thanks for that link UncleChuck. I was thinking about re-wrapping them but I wanted to try and figure out why the mod is chewing up my batteries first. I assumed it might be a jagged piece of metal somewhere in the mod but it looks and feels pretty smooth inside. No idea why it keeps doing that. :confused:

That really isn't making any sense. The only thing down there is a small brass post on the edge of the PCB that serves as the battery positive contact. On mine it rises off the edge of the PCB by a good 4 mm and is plenty long to prevent a battery from making contact with anything else down there.

You sure that isn't coming from 'grabbing' the top edge of the batteries when you remove them from the charger?

Vaponators

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Florida
That really isn't making any sense. The only thing down there is a small brass post on the edge of the PCB that serves as the battery positive contact. On mine it rises off the edge of the PCB by a good 4 mm and is plenty long to prevent a battery from making contact with anything else down there.

You sure that isn't coming from 'grabbing' the top edge of the batteries when you remove them from the charger?

I agree Rickajho. Doesn't make sense to me either. Mine is built exactly the way you described and the brass post does indeed rise off the edge of the PCB about 4mm. Everything is nice and clean. No burrs or sharp edges anywhere.

No, it's not caused by grabbing the edges of the batteries. I always grab the batteries from the center. Much easier than trying to pry the edges out of the charger. In addition, it only happens to the batteries I use in the Tesla so I really don't think it's anything to do with the charger or handling the batteries. This doesn't happen to any of the batteries I use in any of my other mods. Just the Tesla.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
There sure is a lot of really mysterious stuff that happens in the vape world, I've had my fair share of such things are they are incredibly annoying. A problem is one thing, but a problem you can't find the source of too is much worse!

If you don't mind doing it, you could use a sharpie to totally cover the top of the battery (sans terminal) then put it in the device and see where the sharpie rubs off. This will give you some idea of the problem area.

Good luck!

Vaponators

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Florida
There sure is a lot of really mysterious stuff that happens in the vape world, I've had my fair share of such things are they are incredibly annoying. A problem is one thing, but a problem you can't find the source of too is much worse!

If you don't mind doing it, you could use a sharpie to totally cover the top of the battery (sans terminal) then put it in the device and see where the sharpie rubs off. This will give you some idea of the problem area.

Good luck!

Thanks again UncleChuck. :) Good idea! I will give that a try if only to satisfy my curiosity and solve this minor nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread