RDA My very first build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
1435103445302-26073239.jpg
My Dark Horse arrived in the mail this morning and ive been waiting all day to give it a shot. The first coild snapped as i was adjusting so these are coils #s 2 and 3. One is heating up faster than the other by a few milliseconds, I am wondering if thats a problem or not(hopefully not cause it hits pretty hard for a .9). Any advice or ideas for improvement are greatly appreciated!

Sorry about the lighting...gonna try another pic.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
No actually, I didnt. I readjusted the coils to get them where I wanted them, the coils burn evenly once their both firing but one takes a few seconds longer, the bent one. I did try to even out the legs a bit which is probably why it bent that way. Is scraping the coil a common practice? If so where do scrape and what is the purpose?

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
After you first build and give the coils a glow if they are not glowing evenly scrape along them gently with something flat like the tip of a flat screwdriver. A layer of oxidation forms on the coils when heated and this breaks it and does help them glow more evenly.
They still have to be both the same as far as wraps and wire gauge goes.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I am pretty happy with the build right now but I think I want to drop to a .7 as im used to vaping at .5 on my atlantis. The .9 hit pretty hard but could use that little bit extra.

I did use the same guage and counted the same number of wraps, but ran into trouble when i was trying to install the second coil in the center post. Any tips for that?

Reactions: Wolfenstark

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Can be difficult when you have an atty where wires have to share a hole.
For those 3 hole ones I get the first coil where I want then secure the wire to the negative post. Do the same for the next coil , then get both coils even and secured to the positive.
Helps if you have something like a screwdriver or drill bit inside the coils when positioning and securing them.
You can adjust them somewhat after you've secured them.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
if you can pick up a cheap dripper just to experiment with that has 4 post holes sometimes it makes it a little easier to install the 4 wires.

If you get the 4 legs all the same length you will have a better chance on getting them both to lite up at the same time.

Some of the coil builders were strumming the outside of the coils with a jewlers screwdriver and pulsing the fire button at first.

squeezing the coils when they are hot with tweezers also helps keep the coils compressed and allows for even heat.

There are many different methods as seen on youtube and on here about how to build coils.

Good Luck----nice job you did looks good.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
@Wolfenstark , gonna give it another shot tomorrow and try some of those ideas. I did use the drillbit to position the coils and hold in place while inserting the center but i still have a long way to go. I bought 10 meters of kanthal a1 28 guage so i would have lots to play with until i get it right. Knowing me ill probably run out before im satisfied lol.

@thetrucker thanks for the tips and the kind words on my first attempt. Hope tomorrow works out at least one of the kinks.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I got a Revolver coil jig v2 recently and if nothing else to does let you use less wire as you don't have to cut off as much to hold and wrap with as the tool does it. There are a few of them out there.
Use the steam site to help you if your not doing so already.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Reactions: thetrucker

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Havent used steam site, just got the vapers toolbox app on my phone. Wrap numbers we bang on for my Dark Horse but off by .4 on the Orchid. I dont understand why im off by that much using same guage, wraps and size. The Orchid was also having trouble firing on my hammer, it fired fine on the king. I feel like there might be something more going on with that build that i cant yet troubleshoot so i took it apart and will return at a later date with more experience.

Reactions: thetrucker

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Build #2 went much better. Im having an issue with my ohm reader so it was a bit tricky to get a proper reading, luckily my multimeter was on hand so I cross referenced with that. Fluctuating slightly between .79 and .8 ohms. The coils look alot better on this build, and they glow evenly and fire virtually simultaneously(I say virtually in case anyone is familiar with Einsteins theory of relativity and what true simultaneity is).

20150625_101849.jpg

My question now is about how much cotton to use. I realize that its kind a feel thing. Should there be lots of over hang, some touching the well so any excess juice can be drawn up? Im getting a decent vape with this build but the flavor isnt quite as good this time around.

As always Im open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread