Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Like you, I am just getting started too. I've been reading, watching video, bookmarking -- and now I'm trying to organize it all in an Evernote Database. Still have a lot of bookmarks to transfer but here is what I have so far.

ECF Member Blogs
Selected Blog Entries (these members have additional entries I have not listed here ... YET)

Blog: dannyv45
* What you need to know as as far as supplies for the first time juicer.
* Mixing 101, The Basics - A simple walk through on mixing a favorite standard... RY4
* Sweetening and additives
* Everything you wanted to know about steeping and then some.
* A chocolate recipe and why it works. An example on why other flavors enhance the base flavor.
* Throat hit and Harshness (It's all in the mix)

Blog: HeadinClouds
* How to mix small batches of complex recipes
* HeadinClouds - Lots of DIY Recipes

Blog: Hoosier
* What Else Do I Need? - DIY Mixing staples and misc for blending flavors
* Hoosier's Rules of Mixing
* Hoosier's Flavoring Levels -aka: A general DIY guide to Flavoring ratios

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ithaca, NY, USA
Careful with posting videos with cursing, they often quickly get removed.

Besides that, looks like you got a decent selection for a starter setup. My only suggestion is to get blunt needles at a lower gauge. I have 16 gauge blunt tips that still seem to struggle with VG. I would also purchase a few additional needles, at least a few 1-3ml for the individual flavors and another 5ml for the PG or VG. This way the flavorings do not mix into the pg/VG or with the other flavorings. PG, VG and Nic should have their own needles as well. This way you don't put nic into PG or VG bottles or dilute the nic further. Be sure to use an ejuice calculator like ejuicemeup. 20% flavorings seems to be a bit much. For TFA, I'd use 12% maximum. Lastly, TFA stands for The Flavor Apprentice which is also known as The Perfume Apprentice.

CallmeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
Katy, Texas, USA
Thanks guys. Great info. It is a bit harder than it looks. Primarily because I started by mixing 3ml bottles. Hard as hell to accurately measure at that scale. Sorry about the cussing. It's the strangest thing. I never cuss in real life. So much so that my dogs hide under the bed if I drop an F-bomb, but when I make videos or type online it just comes out.

I'm not getting good flavor mix. I think it is due to the scale of my mixing. I'm using the needle for measuring everything but the flavors which I drip into the bottles. I think the "20 drops= 1ml" is not the most accurate form of measurement. :facepalm: I'm going to do some googling and look for an inexpensive way to measure and transfer with better precision. I have managed to mix up a few 3ml bottles and not poison myself though so that's good.

Dragnok

Moved On
May 6, 2014
Just got my very first order of nicotine, flavors, pg/vg, etc. for making my own e juice. I made a video of the unboxing. Check it out and tell me what you think. Did I miss anything? Any suggestions?

I believe TFA the flavor apprentice/ just a brand name. Just from my experience in shopping around looking for products to purchase.

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ithaca, NY, USA
Don't know if it helps, but wizard labs (where many people buy diy, myself included) have 1ml syringes at $.75 and 3-5ml at .59 and 10ml at .69. The prices drop 2-3 cents for every grouping of five up to ten, so if you buy 10 1 ml, the final price would be $6.90. The tips are $.65 each, but decrease in price at 3 and 10. Shipping is quick, and free at above $65, I believe. Just remember, any syringe you use... Use a clear coating nail polish to protect the markings. They rub off quickly within a few uses and cleanings.

CallmeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
Katy, Texas, USA
Don't know if it helps, but wizard labs (where many people buy diy, myself included) have 1ml syringes at $.75 and 3-5ml at .59 and 10ml at .69. The prices drop 2-3 cents for every grouping of five up to ten, so if you buy 10 1 ml, the final price would be $6.90. The tips are $.65 each, but decrease in price at 3 and 10. Shipping is quick, and free at above $65, I believe. Just remember, any syringe you use... Use a clear coating nail polish to protect the markings. They rub off quickly within a few uses and cleanings.

Excellent advice. I wondered about those markings rubbing off too. I will certainly be getting some 1ml syringes. I said in the video I had a 5ml and 10ml, but I actually have a 3ml and 10ml. the 3ml is good, but I'd like to have the option of a more precise measure.

Dragnok

Moved On
May 6, 2014
Excellent advice. I wondered about those markings rubbing off too. I will certainly be getting some 1ml syringes. I said in the video I had a 5ml and 10ml, but I actually have a 3ml and 10ml. the 3ml is good, but I'd like to have the option of a more precise measure.

Use clear tape over the marking will keep them protected from wear.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Some glass ware is needed. at least 100 ml flask for mixing small batches and a 500 ml for mixing larger batches. Need ample room to thoroughly mix the juice and get everything organized. Wizard Labs is my main DIY supplier. Fast service, great prices. Free shipping with orders over $60.

Get some glass rods for stirring too. Great tool.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I prefer the large syringes over graduated cylinders, mainly because there is little or no wastage pushing the juiced through the syringe with the plunger, graduated cylinders, VG & PG cling to the side and makes measuring less precise. I simply place a finger over the small hole without a needle in place, pour my VG into syringe to desired amount, then plunge the VG into the flask, only time I draw through a blunt tip needle is for measuring Nic base, which I have in a pg carrier, and for partial extract measurements.

I just need to score some 50 ml syringes, now that my batches are larger.

Dragnok

Moved On
May 6, 2014
Some glass ware is needed. at least 100 ml flask for mixing small batches and a 500 ml for mixing larger batches. Need ample room to thoroughly mix the juice and get everything organized. Wizard Labs is my main DIY supplier. Fast service, great prices. Free shipping with orders over $60.

Get some glass rods for stirring too. Great tool.

ty ty ty... been asking in forums for a couple days now about suppliers for diy that carry a good selection of vg based flavors... and bam just stumbled across your link to Wizard labs... and man what a selection!!!! thanks a billion only wish you would have told me earlier :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread