My Wismec Noisy Cricket II in serial mode fires more volts in the lower settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I just had to bin mine after a couple of years of reliable service, I dropped it one too many times.

Remember there is unregulated parallel, unregulated series and regulated series where the wheel comes into effect.

I know there are supposed to be specific voltage outputs for specific positions on the wheel. In use I found that these are neither accurate nor consistent. When I tested the output voltage under load at the maximum and minimum wheel positions they did not match what Wismec said. Also as the batteries start to get low the regulated wattage starts to dip even if the selected output voltage 'should' be over 6.8 volts (the cutoff is 3.4 volts for each cell).

None of this really matters imo. The point of a mod without a screen or a chipset is that you operate it by feel/taste/experience. You choose a coil resistance that gives you a range of output values, and then you dial it in the rest of the way manually.

All other two battery mods seem like over complicated house bricks after using the NC-2-25. I have a new one on order.

• Agree
Reactions: Pigs

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
mine gives 6v at 100
I own 2nd Gen version NC-II/25. Potentiometer wheel numerics are reversed from 1st Gen version (per OP comments).

1st Gen Version
0 - 100 numerics = 2v - 6v output. Adjusts potentiometer output.
Higher number = Hotter vape.

VS

2nd Gen Version
0 - 100 numerics = 6v - 2v.
Adjusts potentiometer output reduction % (lower number = lower output reduction, higher number = higher output reduction).
Higher number = Cooler vape.

I used a 1st Gen before buying a 2nd Gen and have seen how this feature control changed/reversed (as OP has referenced). Some may not be aware, or may not understand how a potentiometer works, and/or how a potentiometer reading in percentage works. A potentioneter is a manually adjustable variable resistor, where higher resistance = lower output.

I find that occasionally, when switching from unregulated parallel to regulated series, that the NC-II will fire at full output upon first firing unless potentioneter is adjusted after changeover (both on 1st & 2nd Gen versions).

ALSO, The coil(s) installed will have effect on whether parallel unregulated or series regulated (at minimal ouput)will be hotter.

Example: when I run coil at 0.2ohm parrallel unregulated and switch to series regulated at 100 (max resistance value on end Gen aka lowest output), the vape is hotter (same result described by OP, but opposite potentiometer wheel rotation & numerics). I can run in parallel unregulated until vape becomes weak from low power, then switch to series regulated to increase vape temp until can get fresh batt's.

I find that somewhere between 0.2 - 0.17ohm that series regulated does not work (coil(s) resistance too low).

To reduce minimum output, on series regulated, increase amount of wire mass of coil(s) and resistances of coil(s). In my example above, I would increase to a 0.25 - 0.35ohm build.

Hopefully something helpfully here.
Regards

vape4taste

Sep 26, 2019
I own 2nd Gen version NC-II/25. Potentiometer wheel numerics are reversed from 1st Gen version (per OP comments).

1st Gen Version

VS

2nd Gen Version
Adjusts potentiometer output reduction % (lower number = lower output reduction, higher number = higher output reduction).

I used a 1st Gen before buying a 2nd Gen and have seen how this feature control changed/reversed (as OP has referenced). Some may not be aware, or may not understand how a potentiometer works, and/or how a potentiometer reading in percentage works. A potentioneter is a manually adjustable variable resistor, where higher resistance = lower output.

I find that occasionally, when switching from unregulated parallel to regulated series, that the NC-II will fire at full output upon first firing unless potentioneter is adjusted after changeover (both on 1st & 2nd Gen versions).

ALSO, The coil(s) installed will have effect on whether parallel unregulated or series regulated (at minimal ouput)will be hotter.

Example: when I run coil at 0.2ohm parrallel unregulated and switch to series regulated at 100 (max resistance value on end Gen aka lowest output), the vape is hotter (same result described by OP, but opposite potentiometer wheel rotation & numerics). I can run in parallel unregulated until vape becomes weak from low power, then switch to series regulated to increase vape temp until can get fresh batt's.

I find that somewhere between 0.2 - 0.17ohm that series regulated does not work (coil(s) resistance too low).

To reduce minimum output, on series regulated, increase amount of wire mass of coil(s) and resistances of coil(s). In my example above, I would increase to a 0.25 - 0.35ohm build.

Regards
You were very helpfull Spey, this is what is happenning most of the times, causing me a burn sensation in the series regulated mode (orange light)
I loved the minimalistic design of NC-II/25, sits perfect in the hand but I can only use it in parrallel
thank you for the confirmation reply

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
I just had to bin mine after a couple of years of reliable service, I dropped it one too many times.

Remember there is unregulated parallel, unregulated series and regulated series where the wheel comes into effect.

I know there are supposed to be specific voltage outputs for specific positions on the wheel. In use I found that these are neither accurate nor consistent. When I tested the output voltage under load at the maximum and minimum wheel positions they did not match what Wismec said. Also as the batteries start to get low the regulated wattage starts to dip even if the selected output voltage 'should' be over 6.8 volts (the cutoff is 3.4 volts for each cell).

None of this really matters imo. The point of a mod without a screen or a chipset is that you operate it by feel/taste/experience. You choose a coil resistance that gives you a range of output values, and then you dial it in the rest of the way manually.

All other two battery mods seem like over complicated house bricks after using the NC-2-25. I have a new one on order.
I agree. I've got a few and they truly are a "feel" mod. Another classic JayBo design

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia

1st Gen Version

VS

2nd Gen Version

Regards
I bought my first one in early 2017. Higher number is a lower V output. Question for you Spey - is there a visual difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I just bought a new one, and I didn't know there were different versions? Bugger.

MgcYZSP.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread