Nautalis vs RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mndh1007

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2014
Debating between the Nautalis and a magma clone or a origen v1 clone for my next tank. I'm mostly thinking about flavor and vapor production but nervous about building my own tank. Heard the Nautalis was awesome til I got on here. Will be most likeley sitting on a cloupor DNA when I hopefully get it soon... Anyone who's ran these tanks please help thanks

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
I have a (infinite) magma dripper and I have a nautilus tank. I like them both for different reasons. The magma is a cloud machine that also has amazing flavor- but I can't really carry it around with me. It leaks. Most of the time I use it I need to keep a piece of paper towel nearby for my fingers or my mod (running it on a vaporshark rDNA30) -- I don't mind building coils but as mentioned upthread, you will need to get an ohm meter and the rest of the paraphernalia associated with making coils. Is it worth it? I think so. Excellent quality vapor and flavor.

The nautilus has very good flavor, almost as good as my Russian 91% (kayfun variant) and it can go into a pocket with little worry. Very good tank that is easy to maintain and fill. Downside is you have to buy coils for it, which depending on your means might get costly. You can build the coils yourself and with practice I'm sure you would be able to mimic the factory made coils, but you'd be coming up against the same paraphernalia issue I mentioned with the magma. I use a BVC coil in about 2 to 3 weeks. Depending on how much I'm using it. After that 2 or 3 weeks the flavor starts tasting muted and kind of 'blah'. That's usually about 20 to 25 ml of juice.

If you have the means, I would recommend getting both. This place has the nautilus on sale for $16.95 right now. Get that deal and some BVC coils and you'll be off to a great start.

I have both the magma and nautilus mini. I barely use the nautilus anymore at home bc I love the flavor of the magma. That said the magma is a mess. No O rings and 2 airholes close to where you will be dripping. I use single coil and point the air hole being used down so i see the posts at and angle and drip onto the posts. Thats the best method so far. Still because the domed chamber accumulates so much spatter it eventual drips down and when you unscrew the top inevitably juice gets into the AFC ring. I recently purchased an Origen V2 bc I've heard its comparable in flavor to magma with less mess. I should state the magma I purchased is a clone, and my last clone I will ever purchase. The quality is sub par but the performance is there.

The nautilus mini is a fantastic tank. I recently helped someone off cigs with one. It never dry hits, gives off excellent flavor, and the new bvc coil fits on the bigger nautilus if you are looking for more capacity. I just prefer my dripper knowing exactly whats in the coil. Organic cotton, nothing else. The BVC coil has a wire mesh which makes me wonder whats in the filler.

My first post here. Hope that helps!

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
The drippers will give more vapor and, according to others, more flavor, I have bad taste and can not really tell the difference.

The Nautilus is a LOT easier.

With the dripper you need to build it yourself and change the wicking. Not hard after a little practice. You will need to cary around your mod and dripper, and a container of juice to drip. You can not drip and drive, you can but occasionally you will spill juice all over yourself.

Fill the Nautilus with 5 ml of juice and forget it. If you need a new coil just screw the old one out and the new one in.

If the dripper gets too dry you will get the taste, HORRIBLE, of burnt cotton with the hit. If you have sensative taste it is now time to change the wicking. If you drip too much you will have liquid coming out of the air holds and getting all over stuff.

I usually only drip at home and I take a rebuildable tank out and about with me. I also have a nautilus for when the rest of my stuff needs a little work and I do not feel like doing the work.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
Nautilus vs RDA? If you can build a coil assembly and are seeking a better Vaping experience, one would be quite hard pressed to compare a Nautilus to a RDA.

Better is really dependent on circumstance. On the go? Driving? A tank will always be 'better' because you can pocket it. No need to carry a bottle of juice around with you. Minimal to no leaking issues. Also, some folks just aren't into building. I have friends who vape and have tried my Russian 91% and are blown away by the great flavor. But as soon as I show them what's involved with rebuilding they say "PFFF F that! Too much work!"

In front of the TV or surfing the web at my desk? Dripping beats the nautilus hands down.

nicobeak

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2014
Nashville, TN
danfinger, I have a vs rDNA30 coming in the mail (who knows when it will actually arrive) and am pretty new to rdas. What kind of build do you have on your magma? What do you find is the best watt setting for you? I know it's personal preference, but I like collecting information. My current device maxs out at 15w and can't handle below 1.2 ohms. I'm running 28g 1.3 ohm single coil on an Odin, and the flavor is far superior to my nautilus.

That being said, I love the nautilus. It's super easy to deal with, doesn't leak at all, and gives decent flavor and vapor. Definitely the best clearo I've tried. I love being able to just throw it in my pocket while out and about and not worry.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
Hi nicobeak~ I've got a parallel (two wires side by side) single coil build in the magma. Everything I learned about making coils I learned from riptrippers.

First- straighten out that kanthal- it really does make a big difference. I will usually run that wire over the gas stove and get it glowing before I do the straightening process. Doing that gets a fair amount of the springiness out of the wire, then I do the straightening.

Then the parallel coil build. I'm using 28 gauge kanthal and *I think* it was 8 wraps on a 1.5mm bit. (It was a couple of weeks ago) wicked it with organic cotton. It worked out to .8 ohms and I run it at 20-22 watts on the rDNA. Beautiful clouds of VCV Tobacco Caramel @ 100% VG.

Don't get me wrong, I dig that nautilus too! It's great while I'm out walking the dog or hanging out with friends at the local watering hole (they've got a beer garden that's smoke/vape friendly) In fact it has almost taken the Russian out of the line up. I've got the Russian loaded with caramel tobacco and one nautilus with summer sweet and another nautilus with castle long. Enjoy your new vaporshark! It's a really nice rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread