Status
Not open for further replies.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Hello old friends! It's been a long time since I have visited back here and in my quick scan it looks like many old friends are still hanging around. Good to see y'all again!

After about 7 years of vaping and a few hundred different mods and tanks from super high dollar (DiD's / Provari's ect..) to cheap disposables, my wife and I both settled down to earth with all our vaping gear about 2 years ago when we started using some cheap mods and tanks with replaceable coil heads.

We settled down with the Nautilus mini tanks and 1.6 coils mounted on the Eleaf Isticks vaping around 10watts. I finally gave up on all the fiddling around building coils and rewicking and dealing with leaking tanks and all the other crap that went along with it. We got back to a simple life like we had when we smoked the stinkies with a pack of smokes and a lighter. I didn't realize how much of my life I was dedicating to this vaping world. I decided I wanted my life back to move on with other hobbies I already had.

I'm starting to see these tanks and coils are becoming harder to find and/or the prices are going up, so I figure it's time to make a change to something new before they become obsolete completely. Plus I'm a little bit of a tech geeks so... :D

There are simply way too many new devices out on the market now and I don't want to spend the next 6 months buying and trying all the latest and greatest new toys before I find a good fit for us.

So I come to you my old (and new) friends to ask a simple question or two.
We like the size and no fuss design of the Naut mini's but I'm open to slight size increase if that's what it takes. What is the best and most PROVEN dependable replacement out there for the Nautilus mini and coils? Maybe with some new technology such as ceramic rather than cotton such that I could dry burn to get a little more life out of a coil. This isn't a high priority but if there is a proven rock solid setup out there I'm all ears. I don't mind spending a little upfront for the initial purchase of the tank but would like to keep the coil cost down to where the Naut coils have been which was about $2 each.

My second question (not as important) is for suggested replacement mods for the Isticks. I see there are tons of different ones out there now but as with the tank and coils, I'm looking for proven rock solid performers of the same size and power rating as these little wimpy 40w Isticks. I ran one of mine over with my 48" John Deere mowing one day and even though my tank was toast the mod survived kinda sorta with a little TLC repair and I'm still using it today 6 months later. Call me impressed!

Thanks for any suggestions and good to type at all my old friends in here!

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I still think the Nautilus Mini can't be beat for what it does and what it's intended purpose is. It's a great low wattage MTL tank that doesn't have a tendency to leak or get dry hits.

Ceramic coils still have cotton. It's the coil material that's ceramic.

Sounds like a low wattage rebuildable RTA might be more your thing if coil life is important to you.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side and all that.

I'm not sure if there really is a replacement for the iStick 40w. Maybe the Coolfire IV but I think that's a little larger.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would say a Triton mini. Uses the same coils you're used to and it's top fill which to me is a big advantage. But if you're having trouble finding coils in stock (which I'm surprised to hear as they're pretty ubiquitous in the market) then maybe something larger like a Triton or maybe a Tobeco Super tank, which takes any Atlantis style coil which gives you lots of options from different companies.

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
A lot of people use the Nautilus mini. I can't really imagine them becoming obsolete any time soon, unless it has to do with regulation / taxing, which will affect all other tanks using pre-made coils, as well. I have a pile of them, and buy my coils from Fasttech at VictorC's link above. I get 5 packs of 5 at a time, which gets you a further discount, and the shipping is free. Two tips: make sure you are getting the ones (as in the link) that say "Authentic," and if you are using Paypal with Fasttech, Aspire doesn't allow paypal payments for their products (not sure why). What you do is buy yourself a gift certificate at Fasttech and pay for the Aspire products from the gift certificate.

Fasttech is good for bargains, but slow. It can take a while for stuff to arrive, but I've never had a package that didn't eventually arrive, and I've never had a bad coil in the bunch, so far.

As for possible replacement for the iStick, what do you think of something with an outside battery? I love the iSticks, and really like the evic mini v2 with an 18650 battery. Also the iStick Pico 75 watt, another outside battery option. I also have the Cool Fire IV with internal battery, but it feels a bit biggish to me now, and the fire button not as comfortable as the iSticks, eVic mini, or Pico.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
I am in the same boat (kinda).

Looking for a mtl tank that is 22mm, top fill, 4ml ish and uses great, rock solid coils.

I've been using a cubis pro and like the features but the coils blow (1.5, 1.0, lvc).

I'm looking for something like that with a better coil.

Heard there was a new Nautilus x. Wonder if that's any good? Any other ideas gang?

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I took the advice of many others on here who used to be strict Nautilus users & bought a Kanger sub tank mini even though i very rarely sub ohm.

They were right about the sub tank being an outstanding tank for vaping lower wattage in the 1.2 ohm range , much better flavor than the Nautilus tanks but it's best feature is the rebuildable RBA.

Even using the standard 0.5 rated coils i only vape at wattages around 15 watts and it's outstanding , you DO NOT need to vape at wattages the coil is capable of vaping at . I always vape UNDER the recommended wattages and the flavor is still killer.

Another tank that is loved the world over is the original Crown tank , AMAZING flavor and a single coil lasts weeks not days. I buy 5 packs of coils for $7.99

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I am in the same boat (kinda).

Looking for a mtl tank that is 22mm, top fill, 4ml ish and uses great, rock solid coils.

I've been using a cubis pro and like the features but the coils blow (1.5, 1.0, lvc).

I'm looking for something like that with a better coil.

Heard there was a new Nautilus x. Wonder if that's any good? Any other ideas gang?

I've got a Nautilus X but I've only tried it with the 1.5 coils, and I didn't think it was a good vape. I hear it is much better if you use the 1.8 Nauti X coils. I will pick some up, but since my focus is on RBAs, I haven't done that yet. I know the Nauti X coils are not widely available, but they can be found. Hopefully someone will come along and be able to link you to a source for them.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Thanks folks! I see now that they are not as difficult to find as I thought. I have been using a couple different popular online stores for so long I just thought if they either didn't have them in stock or had been jacking up the prices then it was an industry wide issue. I don't like ordering vape gear from unknown places as I've been hacked many times over the years from ordering vape gear online. It's good to see Fasttech is still hanging in there after all these years. And yep, they are slowwww but reliable.

I'm surprised and happy to hear that the mini Naut's are still among the top choices out there for us "boring non-sub ohm blow your head off, non-cloud chasing" kinda old farts. :) Heck, I remember the day when anything below 2.2 ohms was considered risky business around here and many folks were running around waving danger signs. :lol:
Now look where y'all have gone!

It's been several years since we started using them and I thought for sure there had been huge advancements with better coils/head designs by now. I started fading away from ECF and the "hobby aspect" back when the sub ohm world started to kick in gear and have never gone down that road yet. My main vape juice likes to burn at anything above 10 watts so I never bothered looking into it.

Thanks again folks for helping me out!

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
If the OP doesn't want to get into coil building you can even use the below in the RBA head that comes with the Toptank mini's .

They are 1.2 OHM and while one end would have to be bent the other way to screw onto the RBA head they would work fine. I find it to be a no brainer to build your own though , 4 to 5 wraps of 24 gauge gets you 0.5 - 0.6 OHM's for the Toptank RBA head.

$1.96 Authentic UD Kanthal A1 Pre-Coiled Heating Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers (10-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 1.2ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
For the topper I guess it comes down to how much fiddling you want to do in the near term. The easiest choice is to stock up on a couple years' supply of Nautilus coils and be set for some time. If the FDA regulations are not changed by 8/8/18, you may have trouble getting them and much other vape gear in the US after that date, so a backup is a good idea. I agree that the Kanger Subtank Mini, Nano and Toptank are solid options that offer rebuildable decks if that becomes necessary.

Both the Nautilus and Subtank varieties have plenty of replacement parts on Fasttech and I expect that to continue. That said I am stocked up on heads for my favorite topper and subtanks with related parts, just in case imports become a problem. I for one am done searching for my sweet spot and it's a relief.

A Nautilus Mini on a ProVari is still enjoyed by a number of us and remains a good vape. There are plenty here who haven't chosen to vape over 10 watts but the topics of many threads are about the newest shiny stuff, so it would seem on the surface that everybody followed that path. We are quietly going about our business, enjoying a good vape just like you!

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I would say a Triton mini. Uses the same coils you're used to and it's top fill which to me is a big advantage. But if you're having trouble finding coils in stock (which I'm surprised to hear as they're pretty ubiquitous in the market) then maybe something larger like a Triton or maybe a Tobeco Super tank, which takes any Atlantis style coil which gives you lots of options from different companies.
This.

Man knows of what he speaks. Just saved me a couple minutes of typing too. :)

Gotta add that a Triton Mini could be described as a Nautilus Mini with top fill. My wife used Nautilus Minis forever now only uses Triton Minis.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
So is there really no other option then the cubis pro if you want mtl, 4ml, top full?

It's convenient as hail, and that's what's driving the decision. Such a bummer that those coils are so bad. They really missed with that.

I have never used the Cubis Pro, but my better half & I have about 10 Cubis tanks. 5 in rotation, 5 in the stockpile. We plan to get a few more. We have about 220 of the authentic Joyetech .5 coils from FT as well. I guess we've been lucky, but most of the problems voiced by many on this & other forums haven't affected us. I don't know what we're doing wrong or right but they are as trouble free as any other tank we've tried. We are both using them on the eVic VTC Mini in TC @ 22.5 - 25w / 420 - 450F. I really wish I had some suggestions for any that are/have experiencing problems...

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
So is there really no other option then the cubis pro if you want mtl, 4ml, top full?

It's convenient as hail, and that's what's driving the decision. Such a bummer that those coils are so bad. They really missed with that.

Nautilus X with 4ml adapter and 1.8 coils - they're much better than the 1.5s.

Reactions: drysprocket
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread