Nautilus Rebuild Without Filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Giddings, TX, USA
Sorry for such a late reply to this thread.

I'm going to give it a try right now. I'm trying to get completely away from silica and part of the filler material seems to be fiberglass while another part seems more like cotton. Since I can't verify this I'm just going to take it all out and rebuild with all cotton.

Chuck2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Giddings, TX, USA
Yanked out the filler material. 28 GA Kanthal A-1 wire, 8 wraps around 5/64 drill bit using plenty of wire to make it more workable. This comes out to about 1.2 ohms. I used a cotton wick, cut the cotton just a mm wider than the barrel of the head on each side.

The head has two slots inside and they are place between 2 holes each in the head. I pushed the wire down into the head just below the top of the slots. This gave me working room because after replacing the other hardware, the coil tends to end up a little lower.

After replacing the grommet and center pin, I used a pair of small tweezers to turn the coil back around so the cotton was once again in the slots. I pushed the cotton down into the slots firmly and then made a very thin ring of cotton to push into the little lip that used to hold some of the filler material. I pushed the cotton in with .5x.1 Kanthal but I think a very thin sewing needle or super small screwdriver might work. I did this so it wouldn't leak out when not being vaped.

Vaping it on my E-Huge right now at 6v. Plumes of vapor and loads of flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread