Filler stuck to atty (510)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I've been vaping away on my first e-cig, a 510 from Nhaler. I added a straw mod to 2 of my carts, and am really pumping out some serious vapor, even though this is only the first day I've had it. But every few drags, I get kind of a sickly sweet taste (seems to be when I take an extra big drag), and when I pop the cart off, I can see a couple strands of the cart-filler material sticking to the atty.

Do I have my filler sticking up too high in the cart? It's already sitting down below the lip of the cart, and the straw is about even to it. There are no melted parts or anything on the straw, so I don't think the straw is the problem.

Or maybe I'm vaping too fast? Usually only happens when I take a few in a row. The last one will taste funny, and there will be a few strands on the atty. Is the liquid not wicking fast enough, and I'm taking a puff off the top of the filler, which is too dry, which causes the filler to melt slightly and stick to the atty?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm vaping Nhaler High Voltage- Cafe Mocha Tobacco by the way, so maybe it's just that this juice has a weird metallic taste, and I only notice it when I take a bigger drag, although that's doubtful imho.

~CTdl

oldtechno

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2009
United States of America
There's a number of things can call this.
1. A single polyester fiber sticking up and being real dry.
2. A dry/near dry filler against the atomizer bridge.
3. Too much heat

There are many more things can cause this. I'd recommend looking into pyramid tea bag material for filler. When it goes dry it is sudden and there is no doubt. If you don't want the hassel, go to CIGNOT.com, order a three pack of PTB cartridges. When they arrive--study one of them closely while using the other two.

Finally, all in all, the polyester doesn't usually do what you said UNLESS it is dry.

Wet=good
Dry=yuck!

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks, I was turning it a little to get the whistle tip lined up properly. Guess I just have to get better at pushing it on how I want it in the first place. Not sure which caused my problem, but hopefully avoiding twisting the cart and not vaping hit after hit will help.

~CTdl

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Thanks, I was turning it a little to get the whistle tip lined up properly. Guess I just have to get better at pushing it on how I want it in the first place. Not sure which caused my problem, but hopefully avoiding twisting the cart and not vaping hit after hit will help.

~CTdl
I love the whistle tips but don't use them much due to the lining up problem.
But when I do use them I make the battery tighter or looser rather than twisting the cartridge.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
CT - What you are seeing in the atomizer may be wicking material sticking out from under the bridge. A normal thing. Don't try to remove it!

When you get a new 510, the thing people do is vape too much and not refill enough. You can scorch the wicking material by running the atty too dry and get a permanent burned taste, so take care to keep plenty of liquid on the atomizer (drip on the bridge a drop or two each time you refill).

Also, take care to line up the shape of the cartridge with the white pot shape in the bottom of the atomizer. You might want to mark the outside of the atty/cart to make it easier. This will help insure that liquid is flowing into the atomizer as it is supposed to when the cartridge sits in correctly.

Enjoy the new e-cig! The 510 is a great model.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm not pulling the white wicking material out from under the bridge, these are filler strands stuck to the top of the bridge, but I was turning it which seems to have been the problem. How far into the cart does the bridge go? My straw modded carts ended up sitting below the lip of the cart (I only removed a tiny bit of the filler, probably shouldn't remove any) and I'm worried they aren't applying juice to the atty properly.

~CTdl

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
The bridge is the metal portion inside the atomizer. So, the polyfill needs to sit snug to the metal bridge in order to wick in the liquid, and should be at the top of the cartridge. Probably best not to push it back, but to keep it at the top.

I lost an 801 today, I'm guessing due to the polyfill slumping down in the cart and not keeping the bridge and atty wet enough. First time that's happened to me (and I know better). I was too lazy to restuff it right! LOL

The polyfill fibers are not going to burn if they are loose and sticking to the top of the bridge (unless perhaps if you are running 6v) however you can gently remove it with some of these tiny brushes made for cleaning braces called Interdental brushes (use a size 0 or 1 if you can find them). The bristles are very tiny, and they catch loose polyester fiberfill that comes loose from carts. Just be very careful not to to catch the wicking under the bridge with them.
7093_lg.jpg

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm not pulling the white wicking material out from under the bridge, these are filler strands stuck to the top of the bridge, but I was turning it which seems to have been the problem. How far into the cart does the bridge go? My straw modded carts ended up sitting below the lip of the cart (I only removed a tiny bit of the filler, probably shouldn't remove any) and I'm worried they aren't applying juice to the atty properly.

~CTdl

I cut an angle on the top of the straw as well and make sure it's in the rounded area of the cart - furthest away from the bridge and I cut about an 1/8 inch off the filler, so there is space in the bottom for the airflow to work with the straw mod.

I currently use a foam plug with the straw mod, straw mod as usual but with a foam plug using this material:

H.O.T. Magnum Foam Sleeves | Sponges & Foam | Filter Media & Accessories | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

I cut it 1.5x the width and length of the top of the cart - about a 1/4 inch deep and squeeze it in putting it on the inside top of the cart. The bridge will push it down to where it will be. :) Put the straw in along the rounded side below the outside edge of the cart top. You can fill up the whole cart chamber with juice. It hasn't leaked on me and the straw mod helps on top offs. The foam is a bit coarser so you're not getting filler fibers hooked on the metal mesh and I've never had a foam plug get 'caught' on the bridge and pull out.

That said, all of what Hellen says you can take to the bank. Once you notice flavor dropping the nasty taste is sure to follow. You need a top off.

To keep from turning the cart - I just make sure the straw is on top (aligned with the button on a manual batt) when inserting a flat tip. That doesn't always fit the 'alignment' thing people have considerations on (not me ;-) and that is mainly so you're not catching the oem filler on the bridge anyway. With the foam plug that isn't a problem.

Understand the straw mod with the oem filler works fine - no need to 'do what I do' but I just post it here in case you want to try it or that you're filler is catching a particular atty bridge too often. With the oem filler I always eyeball the top of the cart and take the scissors to any strays and push it down a bit. I'll take a straight pin and 'tuck' it around the straw sometimes when I'm being 'Monkish' ;-) I still have some oem w/straw mods going, some ptb 'top folded' mods and the foam plug w/straw mods going. Right now the latter is working best of all - with that one when I 'refill' I'm actually refilling not "topping off" because the cart well is empty - I've pulled the plug and checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread