Need a little atty help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apuck

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2012
Washington State
I don't use attys too often but I recently bought one that I kinda like (I'm not sure what kind it is, but it is LR if it makes a difference). I've only used it a couple of times, but I'm having a hard time drawing through it now, it was real nice and airy, but feels plugged now. I've washed it out, blown through it (both ways) etc. It feels clogged even off of battery. Anybody have a suggestion on how to clear it out?

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
I'm not sure which type of juice that you used. But, it probably gunked up the coil to the point where it's giving you a hard draw. Personally, I find that dry burning is the best way to get all that gunk off of the coil. There is a big risk of using this method. It can potentially lead to a popped coil which basically means that your atty will be dead.

Others use supersonic jewelry cleaners while others use hand held steamers. They claim that they work great but, I never tried those methods and so, I can't comment on how effective they are in cleaning the atomizers.

Here are some steps on how to dry burn. If your willing to do it. Once you cleaned it and blew all the water out (make sure since water can effect the atty by making it hotter then usual.) Then put it on your device. Press the button for one second. Repeat this a few times until you notice smoke starting to rise. Also, you will be able to see the coil heating up orange. Give it a rest a for a few minutes whenever you notice that it gets hot. Going to far will lead to a popped coil.

After you repeat these steps a few times. You will notice that all the gunk turns to ash. Let it rest a little bit and then rinse it out. Repeat if necessary. You will know when your done since the coil will heat up immediately and turn orange when you press the button.

Hope that helps. Just be careful and take your time.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
When I'm dripping into my attys, eventually juice will start to collect at the bottom and even perhaps leak out of the bottom slots. I think this clogs the airflow. I find doing a few quick dry pulls before taking a hit often clears up the airway. Usually I'll hear a little gurgling and I continue dry pulling until the gurgling stops and the airflow gets smooth... just be careful not to pull too hard or you'll be drinking juice. As a side benefit, the juice you pull up through the atty will re-wet the coil and make the next few hits taste better. Also, using a thick juice promotes this problem, and even more so on a cold day. It's been really warm here in the Burgh - 70s - last few days, and I've noticed I have much less clogging problems with my thick Malty Toffee. Hope this helps.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
Everything has it's ups and downs. Cleaning an atty can be tricky at first and really frustrating. But, once you do it a few times. Then it becomes really easy in the future. Also, it will make your atty last a long longer.

Overall, there is a learning curve with everything. You just have to be a little persistent and it will pay off in the long run.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Will try that next. How many drops do you use once its clean? I'm putting in 3-4.

I have been direct dripping for 2+ years now using Joye LR 510 attys. I use 100% VG juice. I never soak or boil my attys. The best thing to do is blow them out hard 3-4 times a day, put 3 drops on them...You should be good to go.. That dry burning? Hmmm I always got the some thing you did, a burnt azz tasting atty... Just blow em out... I also replace them every 3-4 weeks even if they still work, as thier taste and performance will diminish with usage......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread