Status
Not open for further replies.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
...Ooh, that looks nice as well. I don't really know much about the dna 30 chip, reviews seem to say it's solid. Any issues I should know about?

From Vapor Shark's repair diagnostic page"

*We do not replace nor repair DNA30D boards.

Don't know if it's true but someone posted on the Vapor Shark thread that a standard dna board would need to be cut down to fit in the device. Sounds likely. If true, that would pretty much rule out DIY repair for most people.

The Vapor Shark has no reverse battery protection so one oopsie and the chip is toast which leaves one with a $190 paperweight.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
From Vapor Shark's repair diagnostic page"

*We do not replace nor repair DNA30D boards.

Don't know if it's true but someone posted on the Vapor Shark thread that a standard DNA board would need to be cut down to fit in the device. Sounds likely. If true, that would pretty much rule out DIY repair for most people.

The Vapor Shark has no reverse battery protection so one oopsie and the chip is toast which leaves one with a $190 paperweight.
I have the dna30 vaporshark the good - fantastic form factor!!!! It and my provari mini are on me 100 percent of the time. Stand by the fact that provari is simply the BEST mod out there for Durability and reliability... I know they are expensive but they are more than worth it, and compared to other mods out there they run fairly competitively priced, Especially with vapor shark. I get 8-10 hours vape time on an 18490 and 3-4 on an 18359, so no need for an extension with the standard size provari.
The bad-1100 mah lipo battery that is not removable. When the battery drops taking a charge it has to go to vaporshark and they swap it out. Granted IRS only 25 bucks but I'm not a fan of that.
The RDNA does have a replaceable 18650, however. And the DNA board does not do reverse battery protection which is why I went with the lipo model. I've already woken up and half hazardly slapped a battery in a mech the wrong way so I liked the idiot proof thing.
the downside of the DNA chips are not just the lack of reverse battery and short circuit protection but they also don't have strong down. Meaning if the battery has a 4.1v charge and you set it at 3.5 too bad, until the battery gets down to 3.5.
the sx chip however does have reverse Battery protection as well as step down. It also has upgradeable firmware.
The downside on those is that it's a little difficult to tract down a well made durable sx mod. Imho.
Best I've seen so far would be by tatroe.
https://www.cigtechs.com/mobile/Personal-Vaporizers_c_32.html#homeSubCat_32_1

Last edited:

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
...The bad-1100 mah lipo battery that is not removable. When the battery drops taking a charge it has to go to vaporshark and they swap it out. Granted IRS only 25 bucks but I'm not a fan of that.
The RDNA does have a replaceable 18650, however. And the DNA board does not do reverse battery protection which is why I went with the lipo model. I've already woken up and half hazardly slapped a battery in a mech the wrong way so I liked the idiot proof thing.

The OP lives in the UK so he would be looking at $25 plus international shipping two ways to have the lipo cell replaced when it dies. That's a goodly chunk of change for a battery. Also, the OP mentioned wanting good build quality. The VS is made in China by S-Body. Don't know where the rDNA model is made.

I know several people who couldn't be happier with their Vapor Sharks but I don't think they are probably what the OP had in mind.

the downside of the DNA chips are not just the lack of reverse battery and short circuit protection but they also don't have strong down. Meaning if the battery has a 4.1v charge and you set it at 3.5 too bad, until the battery gets down to 3.5.
the sx chip however does have reverse Battery protection as well as step down. It also has about upgradeable firmware.
The downside on those is that it's a little difficult to tract down a well made durable sx mod. Imho.
Best I've seen so far would be by tatroe.
https://www.cigtechs.com/mobile/Personal-Vaporizers_c_32.html#homeSubCat_32_1

I've got two SX350 mods with one on the way. It's a very nice chip but YiHi is only selling them in modder quantities. The OP would probably want to find a reliable, experienced modder on his side of the pond to build one to his liking. That way there would not be sky high shipping charges should the mod ever need repair.

SPACKlick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Durham, UK
OP- there is a very nice alternative to the Provari for UK people, sorry can't think of the name. Possibly in the UK forum on here.
I think you're referring to the Svoemesto Semovar (spelling may vary). I've looked at it and it is modular, and slightly cheaper, and is a metric diameter. I'm rally torn. I know Svoemesto had some chip issues but the did seem to replace them all.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I think you're referring to the Svoemesto Semovar (spelling may vary). I've looked at it and it is modular, and slightly cheaper, and is a metric diameter. I'm rally torn. I know Svoemesto had some chip issues but the did seem to replace them all.

No, it's not the SS, but I can't find it, sorry.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Well, it's in the price range of what I thought but I thought this device was made by a Mod Shop- like the GG.

Myself, I'd get a Semovar or Provari before I gave TW a dime..........
    I almost bought their 14500 mod, but decided against it, mostly because of the devil's head logo (on the mod itself).

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2014
    So, I've had a gen 1 iTaste VTR from innokin (with spinning wheel connector) for about 6 or 7 months and the 510 connector is starting to weaken, the threads are wearing down and I'm getting missed connections, weird ohm readings and failure to fire. Problem is doubled when I have anything in on the extendor. I'm not interested in grinding down and bodging to fix it so I need a replacement.

Specs.
    I like VV but have never used VW
    I tend to vape in the 3.6 - 4.6 V region with coils in the 1.5-2.2 ohm region. So I max out well under 15W
    I'm not tied to box or tube design but it has to be able to take a fall because I'm clumsy as anything.
    Really want high build quality for a long lasting device.
    I like the look of the boost function I've seen on a couple of devices but it's not a must have.
    Needs a 510 connector and must accept 19ml clearo's and cartotanks. (possible need for 22mm if I ever get that aspire nautilus)

My baseline here is looking at a provari (+extension cap and warranty), which will set me back about £180 ($300) with tax and import or similar if bought in UK. I'd rather not spend that much but I can't think of anything with a similar reputation for build quality. So point me in the direction of your favourite simple mod. No mechs please.

If I was in Europe, I'd be looking at the Semovar or the Taifun The Eye.

SPACKlick

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Durham, UK
    Taifun is a bit expensive for what it is. I'm still debating the semovar or the provari.

The semovar's bent over mode with the sticker is a nice appeal.

One question on the provari, the standard satin silver finish is OK but I like a bit of protection because I'm clumsy. I see the benefits of ZenKote, but it does add $40 to the price. What's the cover for the non Zenkote one's like the zombie?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread