Need advice, Moved into new apartment and found out that i am paying for outside/misc electric? Isnt the landlord suppose to pay that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
Ok so i will try and make this quick....

Moved into a apartment last week, The rent is SO/SO for the building and the area, One good reason i was ok with the rent is because the building ( it is a 2 flat, only 2 units ) has a washer and dryer ( not one of those coin operated ones ) he told us free wash and dry, A washer and dryer included in the rent was a good thing for me ( because i have 1 kid and me and my wife ) and i was spending close to 30-40 a week at a laundry mat at my old apartment.

Anyways about 2 weeks here the washer and dryer just go out, i check all breakers ( mine and the person downstairs ) i call the landlord and he says Comed shut off the ladies electric downstairs ( and this happens a lot with her, she has been living here for years he said and he has no idea why or if she simply cannot afford her bill ) so then i ASSUME the washer and dryer are on her line....

So he grabs a extension cord and plugs them into a outlet that is located outside that is powered by my line ( and my breaker box ) i asked him, so she pays for the washer and dryer on her electric bill? he said yeah, but it will be fine now...I was thinking, well isnt the free use of the washer and dryer part of my rent? he then says how the front hallway is on her line and the back is on mine, comes to find out, the front and back hallway lights are still on ( and her electric is still out ) so i assume those are on mine also.

I come home tonight and notice a lamp on inside her house, i then go look on the back porch to notice a extension cord coming from under her door...i am almost ready to snap until i trace the cord and notice that it is going all the way to my landlords house ( which is right next door ) so i assume he is supplying her with power until she pays her bill or does something? ( i believe there friends so he is helping her out i guess )

my question is though....the front hallway lights ( up and downstairs ) the back porch lights, the washer and dryer AND this huge outdoor ( stadium type light ) that only goes on at night that provides light for the driveway is all on my line....Should i be paying for all this? landlords normally have a separate line ( i think its called a utility line ) that THEY pay to power porch lights, washer, dryers, etc ) my question is, is this right? what should i say or do?

i moved here with the thought of free washer and dryer but comes to find out since the girl downstairs doesnt pay her electric I will be paying for the washer and dryer and on top of that, all of the outside lighting....the dryer is a gas dryer but still uses electric ( i dont pay gas )

i find this rather odd and i am a bit upset.....does anyone think i am over reacting? any advice on what i can say or do?

i personally think that if i am going to be paying to power these items, my rent should be lowered OR a portion of my electric bill should be paid by the landlord....

any help would be great, thanks.....

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
thanks for the advice everyone.....The idea of looking for a new place is out of the question, as i said we just moved here 2 weeks ago and i am not about to move everything again ( what a pain that was )

" I think " but could be wrong on this, that the landlord told me the electric bill was around 140.00 for 3-4 months with nobody living here ( so i estimate that at around 45.00 a month of usage for misc. and outdoor lighting.

I really dont want to get "legal" with him and come off as YOU KNOW WHAT but then again i dont feel like i should have to pay or even split electric that is not mine OR is tied in with the rent ( for instance, the large high powered light that over looks the driveway/backyard that goes on at night ) that is on my line and i am sure draws a lot of juice, but that should be part of the rent...

I am thinking just to talk to him like this...

Excuse me "his name"
I had a few questions regarding the electric. To my understanding there is no " utility line or landlord line" on this building and i notice that since the ladies power is off downstairs that the front and rear porch, washer and dryer and the outdoor lighting is all on my line, Isnt this lighting/electric and use of the washer and dryer supposed to be part of my monthly rent? I feel that my electric bill is going to be pretty high with these items being always in use and was wondering what can be done or if my rent can be adjusted due to the electric usage....

Something along those lines sound good?

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
Holy cow, $45 a month for that and you didn't even see it coming? I'd be flippin' out. My electric bill for the whole house WITH me here during non-heating and non-cooling months can be about that amount. I do understand you have a place and situation you like, though. I guess something like that really may not be that uncommon in a 2-unit deal, as opposed to a place where 20 separate apartments are. I'm such a softy that I'd feel funny talking to the guy, but at the same time, I feel like maybe it should have been discussed prior to moving in. I still just don't get how he could be as bold as to call it free wash and dry, though, but I guess the water is free and (like you said) the gas. You probably have the right idea about it. Be civil, etc.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
Any landlord dumb enough to have things set up the way they are should be pretty easy to fight back against when they pull some .... on you. He doesn't even know how to qualify tennants properly if he has that other lady who can't even pay her bills in there. And living so close to a rental is stupid, too.

When I say mess with I don't mean to get an attitude or fight with him.
Just find out what the laws are in your state and use those against him.
He doesn't understand anything anyway - won't be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread