Need advice on a true passthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashien

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2012
The Ozarks
Hey ECF,

** I originally mistakenly posted this on the wrong sub-forum, so hopefully I can get a mod to delete the other one. **

I've been looking at picking up a passthrough to keep at the office for a backup. However, some of the ones that I thought were passthroughs, don't actually seem to be a true passthrough. If I understand correctly, some only draw from the battery and then instantly recharge it, but if the battery is dead, it won't pass the power through to whatever device is attached.

Are there any out there that can still be used in the event that the battery is completely dead? I basically need something that I can throw in a desk, forget about it, but still be able to use it months down the road.

I apologize in advance if my terminology or understanding is wrong, I'm still new, but I'm learning.

Thanks!

emberl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2009
florida
Hey ECF,

** I originally mistakenly posted this on the wrong sub-forum, so hopefully I can get a mod to delete the other one. **

I've been looking at picking up a passthrough to keep at the office for a backup. However, some of the ones that I thought were passthroughs, don't actually seem to be a true passthrough. If I understand correctly, some only draw from the battery and then instantly recharge it, but if the battery is dead, it won't pass the power through to whatever device is attached.

Are there any out there that can still be used in the event that the battery is completely dead? I basically need something that I can throw in a desk, forget about it, but still be able to use it months down the road.

I apologize in advance if my terminology or understanding is wrong, I'm still new, but I'm learning.

Thanks!

You can not use a battery that is completely dead........or did you mean use a battery when it's completely drained and needs to be recharged?

You can charge the battery through your computer/desktop, the throw it in a desk and forget about it.
However question is how long?
I've used many passthroughs, most of the time connected to my laptop.
Some of them work for a long time after you disconect the cord, some of them only work when connected to your laptop.
Then re-charge on your puter.

Is that the answer your looking for?

Ashien

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2012
The Ozarks
Thanks emberl,

I think I understand a bit more now. I was under the impression that a passthrough wouldn't work if the battery was dead or would no longer hold a charge. The reason that I ask, is that I'd like to be able to keep some sort of backup at work in case my mod goes out for whatever reason.

I operate construction machinery, but have access to an office with power if need be. I can't really monitor a charger while I'm there, but I figured I could just throw a passthrough in the desk and forget about it unless I needed it. But if I go back to it in a few months and the battery has died, then the passthrough would not work correct? I'd have to keep some sort of charge on the battery occasionally?

I guess what I'm trying to find out, is if there are any passthroughs that can be used if the battery is dead, or if there is anything that can be used to power a carto/tank/atty sans a battery.

emberl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2009
florida
Correct, you can not use or charge a dead battery, or a battery that no longer hold charge.
A pass through battery has nothing to do with that.
A pass through battery you can charge through your computer/laptop, or the normal way you charge your battery.

When you mention "dead" you really mean empty.....right?

I can't think of any other way to use a carto/tank/atty sans a battery.
Nope.
Maybe in the future, but I don't see how.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The "True passthroughs" don't have a battery and are 5 volts. They also should be used with an external AC/USB adapter that can source at least 2 amps (2000 mA).

Good for 3.0 ohm atty/cartos.

More amps if using DCC's.. like 3.33 amps if it will even handle it. May want to avoid dual-coil stuff at 5 v anyway unless you know the device can handle it.

Last edited:

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
I use the mini VV 5 volt passthroughs to make my hookah hoses. These are used with a DC 5 volt 2.1 amp usb hub...work great...

finishedhose.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread