Need advice on next upgrade to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidsgothem

Mar 5, 2016
i'm rather new to the scene (two weeks) bought a Kangertech topbox mini 75w based on the shop advice i went to, great device imo haven't had a single bit a trouble so far...outside of the RDA (the stock wire sucked so i used a 25g and 7 wrapped it, it was hitting alrite for 7ohms but the amount of vaper felt less than the stock atomizer but the flavor was def intensified...but i like those thick dense clouds)...

anyways i'm looking to upgrade i'm a bit of a cloud chaser...but a newb at the same time not really looking to get into any sub ohm (anything lower than .2 ohms) as i feel thats super dangerous with the limited knowledge i have so far (i'm still trying to learn tho one day tho lol).

any advice on what i should get next, how i should approach or look for? so far the RDA i've dealt with was disappointing...since the density of clouds produced was lack luster and small...and the amount of juice it went through was crazy (i went through two 30 ml bottles in 4 days? i chain vape..alot...lol) since the disappointment with the RDA i've just been using the stock atomizer that came with the set and i'm decently happy with it...but i feel like i should move up...

i also spent about $130 for this setup (thats with a $20 30ml bottle so $110 for mod and tank i guess)...how much should i look to spend now, or what should i do now? i'm honestly just looking to increase cloud density.

Thanks ahead of time!

steam heat

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
The subtank mini that you have is a great tank...at what watts are you vaping? Also what is the VG/pg ratio of your juices. higher VG juices produce more vapor. I think before you go out and buy anything else you should look into a few different coil builds for the tank you already own. It can produce good dense clouds, you just have to put the right build in it. Hope this helps you and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: haleysdadda

Sidsgothem

Mar 5, 2016
The subtank mini that you have is a great tank...at what watts are you vaping? Also what is the VG/pg ratio of your juices. higher VG juices produce more vapor. I think before you go out and buy anything else you should look into a few different coil builds for the tank you already own. It can produce good dense clouds, you just have to put the right build in it. Hope this helps you and welcome to the forum.

i vape at dif heats i typically start at 20w and build up to 30-35w usually sitting between 30-35w comfortably (this is with a stock titanium coil, the RDA that came with it i'm honestly not liking even the people in the shop hooked me up with free 25g coil since they said the stock coil was a 26g and that it kinda sucked and they wrapped it for me and everything...but isn't clouding great) the people at the shop told i shouldn't run over 40w with a 75w he said "do you run a car at max speed always or do you cruise at certain comfortable speeds, it's the same idea...but in this case you will burn out your coils instantly at possible 50-60w"

first flavor i got was a 70vg/30pg blend (dude ice), now i'm using Bender which is the same blend 70vg/30pg, and @Winchester (love the name i'm a supernatural fan ;) )i'm buying them at my local vape shop that i love i got friends that work there and really help me out and give me great advice so far.

@steam heat what kind of coil builds should i look for? the guy working there gave me a 25 guage coil did a double wrap (7wraps on the thicker side...as the stock coil was micro wraps) i'm not saying it hits bad...the flavor imo is GREAT....but the clouds just really suck...and if i try to change the positioning of the coil the drip tip gets too hot to put my mouth on...or the vape feels like lava in my throat.

sorry for the delayed response i intended to respond right away...but i hit a hookah lounge in hopes to find a bigger cloud lol..

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
If you're winding your own coils, you can try using Clapton wire. With the greater surface area and all the nooks and crannies, Clapton wire is known to produce excellent flavor. I'm running dual Claptons (26 gauge core with 32 gauge outer wire) which measure out to be 0.38 ohms in a Double Vision RDA at 60 watts and I get excellent flavor and huge clouds.

You said that you are running your RDA at 0.7 ohms (?), but you didn't mention what wattage you are running it at. With kanthal, I always use dual coils and try to target resistance of around 0.3-0.5 ohms.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
i vape at dif heats i typically start at 20w and build up to 30-35w usually sitting between 30-35w comfortably (this is with a stock titanium coil, the RDA that came with it i'm honestly not liking even the people in the shop hooked me up with free 25g coil since they said the stock coil was a 26g and that it kinda sucked and they wrapped it for me and everything...but isn't clouding great) the people at the shop told i shouldn't run over 40w with a 75w he said "do you run a car at max speed always or do you cruise at certain comfortable speeds, it's the same idea...but in this case you will burn out your coils instantly at possible 50-60w"

first flavor i got was a 70vg/30pg blend (dude ice), now i'm using Bender which is the same blend 70vg/30pg, and @Winchester (love the name i'm a supernatural fan ;) )i'm buying them at my local vape shop that i love i got friends that work there and really help me out and give me great advice so far.

@steam heat what kind of coil builds should i look for? the guy working there gave me a 25 guage coil did a double wrap (7wraps) i'm not saying it hits bad...the flavor imo is GREAT....but the clouds just really suck...and if i try to change the positioning of the coil the drip tip gets too hot to put my mouth on...or the vape feels like lava in my throat.

sorry for the delayed response i intended to respond right away...but i hit a hookah lounge in hopes to find a bigger cloud lol..
25 gauge wire is pretty thick, so I suspect that the low vapor production is a result of firing at too low of a wattage. The wattage is probably not high enough to heat up the coils sufficiently to create a ton of vapor. When I am using 26 gauge coils, I am usually at around 40-45 watts. With 24 gauge (the thickest wire I've ever wound coils with) I am usually above 50 watts.

If the vapor production gets better if you take a longer hit, or after taking several hits one after the other, then the culprit is definitely that the wire isn't heating up enough.

Reactions: haleysdadda

Sidsgothem

Mar 5, 2016
25 gauge wire is pretty thick, so I suspect that the low vapor production is a result of firing at too low of a wattage. The wattage is probably not high enough to heat up the coils sufficiently to create a ton of vapor. When I am using 26 gauge coils, I am usually at around 40-45 watts. With 24 gauge (the thickest wire I've ever wound coils with) I am usually above 50 watts.

If the vapor production gets better if you take a longer hit, or after taking several hits one after the other, then the culprit is definitely that the wire isn't heating up enough.

ok i just tried the RDA at 40W...the vape is really warm or hot to the point i cough when i exhale...mind you that i'm doing a 7-10 second drag....and right now on my second hit i got a burnt hit o.0 i just put some drops in the drip tip seems the burnt hit is gone but im scared i just burned the wick o.0

Edit: yeah...i'm getting more burned hits i guess the burned flavor isn't like the same burned taste like when you run out of juice but...idk just something taste off o.0 am i suppose to put drops every hit? this is tedious lol...

BTW this is at .73 ohms with a 25 gauge coil at 40watts

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Are you doing mouth to lung hits or are you doing lung hits? Also, do you have your airflow set wide open? You really shouldn't need to do a 7-10 second drag. 4-5 seconds should be sufficient. However, did it produce more vapor?

When I started vaping, I was mouth to lung as that is how I smoked. Once I started subohming, I learned to do direct to lung hits. Of course, that also made me cough at first, until I got used to inhaling such a large amount of vapor. Air flow is also important to vapor production as well. The better the airflow the greater the amount of vapor. I usually vape with the airflow set wide open. That also helps to cool down the vapor as well because you are drawing more cool air in.

Sidsgothem

Mar 5, 2016
Are you doing mouth to lung hits or are you doing lung hits? Also, do you have your airflow set wide open? You really shouldn't need to do a 7-10 second drag. 4-5 seconds should be sufficient. However, did it produce more vapor?

When I started vaping, I was mouth to lung as that is how I smoked. Once I started subohming, I learned to do direct to lung hits. Of course, that also made me cough at first, until I got used to inhaling such a large amount of vapor. Air flow is also important to vapor production as well. The better the airflow the greater the amount of vapor. I usually vape with the airflow set wide open. That also helps to cool down the vapor as well because you are drawing more cool air in.

i do direct lung hit's as i do with hookah only reason i do such long pulls are because i'm used to smoking hookah and you need to pull long and hard and do direct lung hits for any decent amount of smoke :(

and Yes, the airflow is wide open it's still pretty darn warm vape hitting me, when i do short pulls (around 3-5 seconds) the cloud is pretty measly :(

sorry for the hassle this is why i was just willing to throw away money to buy something new to make this easier but if it's able to be improved i'm willing to def learn i've already dropped like 80 bucks on flavors in 5 days (4 flavors) and i already finished two 30ml bottles o.0

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
i do direct lung hit's as i do with hookah only reason i do such long pulls are because i'm used to smoking hookah and you need to pull long and hard and do direct lung hits for any decent amount of smoke :(

and Yes, the airflow is wide open it's still pretty darn warm vape hitting me, when i do short pulls (around 3-5 seconds) the cloud is pretty measly :(

sorry for the hassle this is why i was just willing to throw away money to buy something new to make this easier but if it's able to be improved i'm willing to def learn i've already dropped like 80 bucks on flavors in 5 days (4 flavors) and i already finished two 30ml bottles o.0
That's what happens when you drip......you go through juice like crazy. When I am dripping exclusively, I can easily go through 20-30 ml of juice a day. When I use a tank, I only go through about 10-12 ml a day. Unfortunately, subohm vaping does mean a warmer vape, and also vaping on a RDA. Which RDA are you using? And what type of drip tip? If the RDA is short, and the drip tip is short as well, and made of metal, the vape will be warmer when it hits your mouth. Using a delrin or plastic drip tip will help as will using a taller style RDA like a Velocity.

Sidsgothem

Mar 5, 2016
That's what happens when you drip......you go through juice like crazy. When I am dripping exclusively, I can easily go through 20-30 ml of juice a day. When I use a tank, I only go through about 10-12 ml a day. Unfortunately, subohm vaping does mean a warmer vape, and also vaping on a RDA. Which RDA are you using? And what type of drip tip? If the RDA is short, and the drip tip is short as well, and made of metal, the vape will be warmer when it hits your mouth. Using a delrin or plastic drip tip will help as will using a taller style RDA like a Velocity.

Also, what is the VG/PG ratio of the juice you are using? A higher VG ratio will result in more vapor, while a higher PG ratio will result in more flavor.

i'm using the tip that came with the set it feel like it's plastic? def not metal unless this isn't a drip tip o.0

also i have a Kanger Mini RBA Deck Plus o.0 an RBA o.0 okay... : /

and i'm using a 70/30 ratio (VG/PG) i'll try out 90/10 next buy

is there anything that can provide a cool vape i dislike warm vapes..alot...i'd honestly prefer icy vapes if possible LOL...ftw ice hookah

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
i'm using the tip that came with the set it feel like it's plastic? def not metal unless this isn't a drip tip o.0

also i have a Kanger Mini RBA Deck Plus o.0 an RBA o.0 okay... : /

and i'm using a 70/30 ratio (VG/PG) i'll try out 90/10 next buy

is there anything that can provide a cool vape i dislike warm vapes..alot...i'd honestly prefer icy vapes if possible LOL...ftw ice hookah
If you use temp control, then you can modify the temp of the vape to what you want. And supposedly if your juice has Koolada in it, that is supposed to add a cooling effect to the juice as well, without adding the mint flavor that menthol gives.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
i'm rather new to the scene (two weeks) bought a Kangertech topbox mini 75w based on the shop advice i went to, great device imo haven't had a single bit a trouble so far...outside of the RDA (the stock wire sucked so i used a 25g and 7 wrapped it, it was hitting alrite for 7ohms but the amount of vaper felt less than the stock atomizer but the flavor was def intensified...but i like those thick dense clouds)...

anyways i'm looking to upgrade i'm a bit of a cloud chaser...but a newb at the same time not really looking to get into any sub ohm (anything lower than .2 ohms) as i feel thats super dangerous with the limited knowledge i have so far (i'm still trying to learn tho one day tho lol).

any advice on what i should get next, how i should approach or look for? so far the RDA i've dealt with was disappointing...since the density of clouds produced was lack luster and small...and the amount of juice it went through was crazy (i went through two 30 ml bottles in 4 days? i chain vape..alot...lol) since the disappointment with the RDA i've just been using the stock atomizer that came with the set and i'm decently happy with it...but i feel like i should move up...

i also spent about $130 for this setup (thats with a $20 30ml bottle so $110 for mod and tank i guess)...how much should i look to spend now, or what should i do now? i'm honestly just looking to increase cloud density.

Thanks ahead of time!

I'm a big fan of RTAs.

Currently using Kayfun Monster mini, silverplay nano, and Ohmega nano.

If you want clouds try an Ohmega, Ohmega nano, Monster, billow V2.

If you want a dripper the Mutation V4, or Valocity are good.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
If you use temp control, then you can modify the temp of the vape to what you want. And supposedly if your juice has Koolada in it, that is supposed to add a cooling effect to the juice as well, without adding the mint flavor that menthol gives.

You can also build to a higher resistance.

For me i prefer a resistance at .8-.9

Sidsgothem

Mar 5, 2016

sorry just came back from the lounge o.0 5 hrs of hookah ... lol

okay i'm def going to get that koolada for sure...just read up on it looks EXACTLY what i'm looking for in terms of cool icy feeling.

Sidsgothem

Mar 5, 2016
I'm a big fan of RTAs.

Currently using Kayfun Monster mini, silverplay nano, and Ohmega nano.

If you want clouds try an Ohmega, Ohmega nano, Monster, billow V2.

If you want a dripper the Mutation V4, or Valocity are good.

you know from what i'm noticing ... RTA/RBA = more flavor and RDA = cloud chaser i think i need to get a RDA? but do you think the RTA's you suggested would fit my need for clouds? i'm not really strapped for cash...i'm just looking for something thats good (but i do kind of want to work my way up from cheaper mods{lowest being my mod set} to best in line so i can learn on the way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread